Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
In correspondence with Sierra Bullets concerning updates with information on new bullets, powders, and cartridges, their answer is early next year they will have a new manual for us.

That is good news since their number V is now fifteen years old. (my how time flies)

I am hoping it comes out in paper form as I like to hold the book in my hands and turn pages or compare data in two or three manuals. I recently purchased Nosler #8 and will be glad to add Sierra 6 to my collection in which ever form it takes.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
GB1

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
One of the better, realistic manuals IMO.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Internet has replaced many manuals.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Most info is online, but I like holding a book in my hands.

N
ned Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
i hope they bind it and don't do it loose leaf like the last one. looking forward to it smile

Ride well, shoot straight, and speak the truth.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Look forward to it as I tend to make a lot of notes plus add observed chrono data.
So many new powders & bullets to consider!
Also think there remains much to learn about the monos, but will be surprised if Sierra addresses them.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by ned
i hope they bind it and don't do it loose leaf like the last one. looking forward to it smile

I have all the Sierra manuals and they're all loose leaf. AFAIK they've never done a bound load manual. I forget if it's #1 or #2 but at one time they upgraded a manual by printing up a supplement which you put in the manual. I just checked. it was the #1 manual.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
PJGunner: NO... "they" are not all loose leaf!
Among my complete set of Sierra manuals I have a stunningly beautiful "Sierra Bullets Reloading Manual" from 1971 (signed and numbered [#656] by Robert F. Hayden, author) - this beautiful manual is HARDBOUND and the cover gilded and it is encased in a sturdy slip case.
I also will be looking forward to the next Sierra manual.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Quick load

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
Can not hold it in my hands and flip between cartridges, or between manuals. I often have three or four open at the same time making comparisons.

I do appreciate the exterior ballistics programs. Sierra presently offers Sierra #5 bundled with infinity 7, both on CD. If I were a betting man, I would bet that Number six is released on CD. It is a heck of a lot cheaper to publish that way. Heck it might even be sold by digital download. I hope I am wrong. I would rather buy the book.

IC B3

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by PJGunner
Originally Posted by ned

I have all the Sierra manuals and they're all loose leaf. AFAIK they've never done a bound load manual. I forget if it's #1 or #2 but at one time they upgraded a manual by printing up a supplement which you put in the manual. I just checked. it was the #1 manual.
Paul B.

Yes, that is why I e-mailed them. I was hoping we could get update pages for number five. But no dice.

N
ned Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Can not hold it in my hands and flip between cartridges, or between manuals. I often have three or four open at the same time making comparisons.

I do appreciate the exterior ballistics programs. Sierra presently offers Sierra #5 bundled with infinity 7, both on CD. If I were a betting man, I would bet that Number six is released on CD. It is a heck of a lot cheaper to publish that way. Heck it might even be sold by digital download. I hope I am wrong. I would rather buy the book.

I hope you are wrong also.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Regardless of how its done, a new manual from Sierra will be welcomed here.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I just hope they include the new, improved powders available now. I was very disappointed with Lyman 50 in that regard: no LiL gun data for the .357 for example, and Lil gun wasn't even that new. The latest Hornady is pretty good. Got the e-copy of that one.

What fresh Hell is this?
N
ned Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
called them, loose leaf it is

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
Nosler #8 is pretty good too, but a bit difficult to read. The data is printed in small script on a black page. These guys would do well to remember that most of their customers are not using 20 year old eyes.

The new IMR powders are well represented. And I did not notice it lacking rifle cartridges, Well, except it does not include the 6mm-284.grin One interesting bit of data in Nosler 8 is water capacity of the cartridge under the bullet. So if a guy is loading for a wildcat, it makes it easier to extrapolate data from a known cartridge. Such as my 6-284 might be compared to the internal volume of the 240 Wea and load data accurately calculated from there.

I was surprised to see Nosler 8 lacks data for revolver cartridges larger than 45 LC. Some will be disappointed with that.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (007FJ, 1234, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 67 invisible), 2,408 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,421
Posts18,470,590
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.