-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For many of us, a fair chase hunt, the comaderie, catching up with relatives, and some venison in the freezer adds up to a great season. 300,000 deer taken sounds like a lot of happy hunters, B&C utterly irrelevant to most of them.
While I'm on a roll, a significant number of those high scoring deer come from farmed whitetails. I have found it interesting to note the general lack of knowledge about the sheer number of whitetail farms scattered around the country.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A few years ago I was after a 170" Typical. I was keeping tabs on him before the season but during the season he stayed off the property I have permission to hunt. They killed him on the last day of Rifle on a neighboring property. He gross scored 172.
I missed one in my younger days that somebody else killed. That one scored in the 160's.The biggest we've killed here in my group was my son's 132" 11 point.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
I will say this, Pa. deer hunting used to be fun... Now it is all about size.. This trophy thing is ruining all hunting.. I am sorry, I like nice animals , but trophy hunting is ruining the sport.. In fact in most cases it already has... In Pa. most private ground was open to hunting 40 years ago.. With the Texas pay hunting and promotion of big stuff... That has all changed, now private land is locked up, and instead of enjoying the hunt, it is all about horn size.. I miss the good old days...

TOTALLY. I’ve nver measured a buck’s antlers; to me a trophy is about experience. Inches are awesome and I’d love a monster some day but that isn’t my measure of a hunt.

My Pa trophy from 2016 when gophergunner graciously hosted me. In the mountains stunningly gorgeous public land didn’t see a ton of orange.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Many of the big bucks live in SW Pa, including urban zones in which some are Archery only. Most of the big boys are nocturnal, and cross busy roads like they don't exist. Home work and hard scouting for deer is the same no matter where you hunt, careful stand placements early with minimal woods disturbance keeps the deer there...just so heavy cover and food is available.

I've shot a lot of book bucks in Pa, both bow and gun...but pass up 30ish legal bucks every year. Watch the deer ticks they're thick this year, and getting worse every year.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Battue those are some real big ones!!!

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I know nothing of eastern whitetail hunting really. I do like those pics!! what kind of bear season do you predict??

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Pa sucks when it comes to big Whitetails....

http://www.gameandfishmag.com/hunting/deer/2017-pennsylvania-trophy-bucks/

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

There is one I can't find that will make you curl your lip and go rub your forehead on a tree.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by roninflag
I know nothing of eastern whitetail hunting really. I do like those pics!! what kind of bear season do you predict??

I think this Bear season will be excellent. It doesn't seem like we even dent the population anymore. A lot of people on the northern tier are crying there are way too many Bears.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Battue,

I meant I couldn't find an easy to express my agreement.

You and I have disagreed on this before.
My hunting in Pa. has always meant hunting private land, owned by family, friends and neighbors.
It's not the big woods, Bedford County, but it has been a destination for the city folk.
Point being, I live here, this is where I like to hunt. PGC policies, and other factors have significantly changed
something I hold dear. And I don't like any of it.

For those who hunt the northern tier, I am glad that you are having success. Those are some beautiful bucks.
My hunting is out the back door style. After work, anytime I have time. I would prefer seeing more deer, big bucks
aren't my goal. Meat, and success for my kids trump a buck I wouldn't mount, or put in the paper. (Common here in deer season.

As for posting, I am unhappy posting. It's necessary to be able to hunt your own land here. We have game lands around us, unfortunately
they bring in many of the people who trespass. They drive by that gate at the end of a little hollow, and wonder "what's it like up there?".
I have been told that. When I was talking to a guy from York, about why he was there.
On posted property. After he crossed the first1/4 mile piece of posted property.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by roninflag

Bear numbers should be good.
I think the herd is continually growing, and we have had a few bad seasons due to weather issues.
In my immediate area, there are not a lot of bear. But the numbers are rising.
Some in this area have a lot of bear problems. Mostly those closest to certain mountains.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My last 2, not big, but considering my health I am happy...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I used to get some decent ones, hopefully I will again.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Every once in awhile id get a chunky one grin

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Most times id be still hunting all day. Sometimes though id sit here...

[Linked Image]

Or here...

[Linked Image]

And if theyre still ruttin, here...

[Linked Image]

And pass up a few like this...

[Linked Image]

But hunting public big woods, ya gotta be willing to "hunt the hunters". Adapt. I can guarantee if you hunt the big woods, you have a chance at a nice one every time youre out there. Theyre there, and they know their bedroom a whole lot better than you do yours.

I dont think ill ever hunt private land. The big woods is just in my blood.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
we have more deer than we have had in 20 some years and the bucks are much bigger on average, literally best of both worlds. Had a 150” class buck within 20 yards last archery season, didn’t work out. There is one I have seen this year with my own eyes that will be in the mid 160”s at least( mainframe 7x7 with junk all over). I’m in nw pa, wont hear me complain.

MM

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Battue,

I meant I couldn't find an easy to express my agreement.

You and I have disagreed on this before.
My hunting in Pa. has always meant hunting private land, owned by family, friends and neighbors.
It's not the big woods, Bedford County, but it has been a destination for the city folk.
Point being, I live here, this is where I like to hunt. PGC policies, and other factors have significantly changed
something I hold dear. And I don't like any of it.

For those who hunt the northern tier, I am glad that you are having success. Those are some beautiful bucks.
My hunting is out the back door style. After work, anytime I have time. I would prefer seeing more deer, big bucks
aren't my goal. Meat, and success for my kids trump a buck I wouldn't mount, or put in the paper. (Common here in deer season.

As for posting, I am unhappy posting. It's necessary to be able to hunt your own land here. We have game lands around us, unfortunately
they bring in many of the people who trespass. They drive by that gate at the end of a little hollow, and wonder "what's it like up there?".
I have been told that. When I was talking to a guy from York, about why he was there.
On posted property. After he crossed the first1/4 mile piece of posted property.

My point is posted land begets posted land. Your neighbor posts, his neighbor posts and then the one down the road posts and eventually you post also. I get it and it is the reason I'm on a lease. The Big Woods is a three hour drive, so I don't hunt there all that often. This place is an hour drive and in a county at one time I could pretty much hunt all of it. Then the posted signs slowly crept in, until pretty much all of it is posted. Oh you can ask nice, but you get tired of the same old. "No, we like to keep it for family." You know that story, right?

The 1000 acre lease is part of 2200 that got split up when a coal company went bankrupt.

Funny trespass story. I visited my own little piece one day and knowingly moved onto land owned by one who lived on it. He saw me and let out a yell for me to stay put and came walking towards me with a purpose. He arrived and wanted to know why. I told him I was hunting and I didn't think it would be a problem. "Well, it is" was the reply. I then asked if he ever hunted "over there" and the answer was yes. "Well, if this is a problem with you, then that is a problem with me." "You the Neil boy?" "Yes." "Why didn't you say so?" "I just did." We had laugh and both went on our way.

Last edited by battue; 09/11/18.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I remember hunting deer in PENN back in the 80s, getting to your stand before dawn, and as the sun came up count the orange coats around you.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That is a completely different culture. If I found another hunter on my land I'd be approaching with a leveled barrel after I had called the State Police.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Those days are long gone in most parts. Especially the Big Wood. About 6 years ago I hunted the Big Wood of the ANF on the first day. The only orange I saw was leaving the truck and on the return. After the second day, it was even less.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Youper
That is a completely different culture. If I found another hunter on my land I'd be approaching with a leveled barrel after I had called the State Police.

Arn't you the bad ass. You point one at some of the Back Woods boys from here, you best be ready to use it or have the State Police call EMS for you.

Last edited by battue; 09/11/18.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (219DW, 257man, 1beaver_shooter, 117LBS, 1badf350, 58 invisible), 1,929 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,264
Posts18,525,337
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.