-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
I was interested in these when they first came out, but problems with them cooled my ardor. Has Ruger corrected the problem with over-sized throats and the front sight blade?

"The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubt" Bertrand Russell

GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have three of these and have been around a couple more and they all shoot great. A couple I have seen are one-hole shooters or near so at 25 yards. I think since Ruger started making .44s in 1956 or so, they have all run .431-.432 exit holes. After 65 or so years, I doubt Ruger will change exit hole diameter now. Standard .429-.430 jacketed bullets should shoot fine. With cast, size as close to exit holes as you can. I size .431 for my Ruger and most S&W .44s and they generally shoot really well.

I haven't had any sight blade issues with mine.

For me, It would be hard to find a better handgun for around camp or as a backup while hunting.

Last edited by DesertMuleDeer; 09/09/18.
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the reply. I had read several places that some of the initial runs were are .433-.434.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubt" Bertrand Russell

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Wow. I did not know they were running that large

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’ve had my 3” barreled Model since they first hit the doors at Whittaker Guns. Cylinder throats measure .4315” and has been consistently accurate with my cast 250 gr. SWC’s. It is one of my favorites and most often carried handgun.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Borealis Bob
I was interested in these when they first came out, but problems with them cooled my ardor. Has Ruger corrected the problem with over-sized throats and the front sight blade?

I think I have one of the first and don't have any complaints. A slightly taller front would be alright but mine has been nothing but serviceable as is.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the feedback, and encouragement!

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I would honestly rate the GP100 in .44 Special one of the greatest revolvers ever.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by deflave

I think I have one of the first and don't have any complaints. A slightly taller front would be alright but mine has been nothing but serviceable as is.

Yours had a lot of lead at the barrel/frame constriction. Don't know what diameter/lube the cast you used had, but it just goes to bear, after seeing you shoot it, how much the driver of the ammunition comes to bear.....

Steve has a nice 44 Special Bisley, and Ruger throat dimensions and barrel dimensions, for 44's IME, are infallible at .431 sizing.

I casted for another friend with a new GP-100 4". Keith 265's at .431. He said it was the most accurate handgun he ever shot. He's 73.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Are you saying his is bigger than mine?

IC B3

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Its always gotta be about COCK with you....

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by deflave
I would honestly rate the GP100 in .44 Special one of the greatest revolvers ever.

I agree.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

I don't worry about this kind of stuff, until I see if the gun will shoot. If it doesn't you can always make adjustments, either to the cylinder or the bullet. My shoots well.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Cariboujack

I don't worry about this kind of stuff, until I see if the gun will shoot. If it doesn't you can always make adjustments, either to the cylinder or the bullet. My shoots well.

Thanks for your input, but I would want/expect a new handgun to be in spec. Should not need to do work-arounds with it.

Judging by the positive responses I am getting it would seem that the number of out-of-spec guns must have been limited to a first round of production, and subsequently corrected.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

665 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 16penny, 69 invisible), 3,318 guests, and 1,340 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,483
Posts18,471,832
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.