-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Engraving was sort of a family affair with the early American engravers most of which came from Europe.
William Gough & family were no exception.
What began as an Enoch Tue project has experienced some "feature creep", and rightfully so. Got anything to add, let me know.
Here ya go...

William H. Gough
William Gough was an engraver for the Aubrey and Meriden shotguns. Gough also engraved for Parker, Remington, Colt and AH Fox.
His father, Harold, was a Birmingham Gun trade engraver that came to the US and worked for Parker Bros in Meriden. William Gough apprenticed under his father at Parker Bros. About 1912, he went to the A.H. Fox Gun Co. and was head of their engraving department. He designed the bolder engraving styles Fox went to in the 1913-14 time frame. Even though he was head of the Fox engraving department, most ot the work he did was commission work from others (Winchester, Colt, Marlin, etc.) and a few high-grade Fox guns. Once the gun company part of their business was sold to Savage, and the production of the Ansley H. Fox gun was moved to Utica, NY, this outside commission work didn't sit well with the Savage executives and Gough opened his own engraving shop in Utica, and continued engraving into the 1950s. From the Utica newspaper dated August 24th 1954, William Gough "...took commissions in special engraving jobs from many parts of the country...he worked on engravings for Aubrey Guns, then manufactured by Sears Roebuck Co.; for guns turned out by Norwich Arms Corp., and Hollenbeck guns manufactured in Virgina."
Alfred Gough, the son of William, also engraved guns for Parker Bros. in the 20's and 30's.

[Linked Image]

"Every day above ground is a good day."
GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
This great , Thank You! I'm sure someone ( wink ) is tracking all of this for a new picture book about engraved 99's!

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JeffG
I'm sure someone ( wink ) is tracking all of this for a new picture book about engraved 99's!

No need to track it. When I am done it will tell a good story and is only a matter of cut-n-paste.
Meanwhile, I've got a ways to go.

p.s. The items I post here I believe to be true, however, it is genealogy. And it's for your enjoyment. The info is of no value unless the info can be substantiated. Which I can do. smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I may as well go ahead and bring this subject out in the open. I have discovered in the last few months that I can no longer drive for long periods. In other words there is no way I can do the driving that will be required for me to personally visit the people who have the rifles needed for the engraving book.
Two people who have rifles can have their rifles photographed. In the case of one guy by professional for whom he will bear the expense, the other one is a professional photographer and take the photos himself.
I would like to write the book. I can still do that. But someone else is going to have to do the photography. Does anyone have any ideas? David

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wyo1895
Does anyone have any ideas? David

There's more than one way to skin a cat!

Have you considered flying? (driving is over rated and ok for under 500 miles or so)
Yes planning, people, places, dates,...same as driving. Although different dynamics & costs, but can still get job done.

The reality is that one man needs to spearhead the dream. There are many willing participants including me.

Seriously, consider the air route. It would be a couple thousand bucks and a couple weeks vs. a couple thousand dollars and a couple of months. ??

A go-fund-me-page??

I'll come up with more ideas.... crazy

We'll talk off-line. There is a way.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The trouble with flying is the large amount of lighting equipment I need plus the distances between the various people I need to visit. It just doesn't seem feasible. Thanks for your comments though. David

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
BTW - Gough is pronounced = Goff or Gawf

Not "Go" as in Vincent van Gogh.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Southern_WI_Savage

van Gogh is pronounced van Goff in England.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Originally Posted by Southern_WI_Savage

van Gogh is pronounced van Goff in England.

That was a very poor example on my part.
"Go" is American.
"Goff" is Brit.
Neither is correct to the Dutch.

"it's accepted and correct to use the Dutch pronunciation of "Van-Gokh (-v as in vet, -g as in get, -kh as in Scottish loch)"

Mov'in on.... smile

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

303 members (1lesfox, 2500HD, 240NMC, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 21, 28 invisible), 1,886 guests, and 1,106 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,086
Posts18,501,732
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.