Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
I was simply correcting the false info you posted. Keyholes in the target are not produced by a bullet with an SG between 1.0 and 1.5.
Show me where I said that.

"He is far from Stupid"

”person, who happens to have an above-average level of intelligence

– DocRocket (In reference to ElkSlayer91)

GB1

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Elkslayer91,

You should pick up some of Brian Litz's books if you really want to understand this stuff, instead of guessing about it. His books are somewhat pricey, but well worth it. However, I do realize that most shooters (and apparently most other people) believe they can educate themselves for nothing by reading Internet sound-bites.
How can I be guessing when all I was doing is repeating information produced by the Berger calculator?

As Jordan noted, "marginal stability" on the Berger site's stability program doesn't mean the bullet might fly sideways. Below an SG of 1.0, the Berger program states the bullet is "unstable." That's when they tend to tumble, not at 1.5, or even 1.1.
I'm fully cognitive of that fact sir. It wouldn't say marginal if they were tumbling.

Wanna show me where I stated they would tumble between 1.0 - 1.5?

"He is far from Stupid"

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by mathman
elkslayer91 is a source of "interesting" information.

I've graded enough math homework/tests to have a sensitive "tenuous understanding" detector. It's been beeping lately.

Since you're so great in math, perhaps you should go explain the simple concept of hold-over, and hold-under, when the trajectory (arc) of a projectile is known in the 7-08 thread.

They seemed to be quite uncomfortable with any new lessons being taught here. They showed to be very "tenuous" in that area. Maybe a mathman could teach it better.

Why even on this site, 300 yard zero is used in tables discussing long range marksmanship:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/loads_for_the_long_shot.html

I guess 350 yard zero was just too much to handle.

I loved math. Made all A’s.

"He is far from Stupid"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ElkSlayer91
I was simply correcting the false info you posted. Keyholes in the target are not produced by a bullet with an SG between 1.0 and 1.5.

Here you go:

Your 1:10 is the problem. You are right on the edge with those 160g for stability.

Nosler Reloading No.3 book shows 1:9 for 7mm RM and 7mm Wby Mag for the barrel used with loads up to 175g.

I can’t believe Wby made that rifle with a 1:10, and not 1:9.

Go to the Berger twist rate calculator:

http://www.bergerbullets.com/twist-rate-calculator/

Right side drop dwn menu > click the 7mm 168 VLD > change muzzle velocity to your 3219 > make sure twist is set at 10 > click calculate.

You’ll see that 168 VLD isn’t stable, SG 1.40. Bullet is 1.43” long. Chart shows needs min. 1:9.5 rate for that length bullet. Now change bullet to the 168 Classic 1.37” long. Chart shows SG = 1.59, just barely over the min SG 1.5 to be stable with the 1:10 rate.

That’s why all of the others you tried are stable. They are right on the edge to the good side obviously.

Check the length of that FED bullet, and check the length of the bullets that have worked, and you’ll see where exactly your line in the sand is for bullet length for stability in that 1:10.

You need to finish that box at 200 yds., where they will be slipping sideways through the paper, and call it TarArt. Then frame them and sell them as modern art. You know those crazies will buy anything as long as it is labeled as “modern art”.

EDIT - See Mule Deer's post below a few post's down. The Berger calc I used gave me wrong data.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E

Here you go:

Your 1:10 is the problem. You are right on the edge with those 160g for stability.

Nosler Reloading No.3 book shows 1:9 for 7mm RM and 7mm Wby Mag for the barrel used with loads up to 175g.

I can’t believe Wby made that rifle with a 1:10, and not 1:9.

Go to the Berger twist rate calculator:

http://www.bergerbullets.com/twist-rate-calculator/

Right side drop dwn menu > click the 7mm 168 VLD > change muzzle velocity to your 3219 > make sure twist is set at 10 > click calculate.

You’ll see that 168 VLD isn’t stable, SG 1.40. Bullet is 1.43” long. Chart shows needs min. 1:9.5 rate for that length bullet. Now change bullet to the 168 Classic 1.37” long. Chart shows SG = 1.59, just barely over the min SG 1.5 to be stable with the 1:10 rate.

That’s why all of the others you tried are stable. They are right on the edge to the good side obviously.

Check the length of that FED bullet, and check the length of the bullets that have worked, and you’ll see where exactly your line in the sand is for bullet length for stability in that 1:10.

You need to finish that box at 200 yds., where they will be slipping sideways through the paper, and call it TarArt. Then frame them and sell them as modern art. You know those crazies will buy anything as long as it is labeled as “modern art”.

EDIT - See Mule Deer's post below a few post's down. The Berger calc I used gave me wrong data.
You're wrong.

Nowhere you bolded, or anywhere for that matter, was the word keyhole, and that is what you said in your original statement, which I bolded for you, and what I was referring to.....keyhole. You did not say stability, you said keyhole, and I never stated anything about when they keyhole.

Wanna try again?

"He is far from Stupid"

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I never said you said the word "keyhole". I simply said that I was correcting false info, which is what I bolded. My choice to use the word "keyhole" was to help explain and correct.

What do you think "isn't stable" means? What shape hole does such a bullet produce in a paper target?

LOL, good luck. You'll do great here.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep, he's made quite an impression so far....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

That's great. What was your most advanced course?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mathman

That's great. What was your most advanced course?

"rithmetic"

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
When it comes to Math, I'm a lot like Mathew Quigley..."never said I couldn't do it, I just never had any use for it." lol I "skirted" Algebra/Geometry/Trig/Calculus in High School. I went the "Related Math I & II". I then joined the Army and my 3rd job was in Fire Direction Center, Artillery. I had 30 days to get ready for the Field. Trigonometry Class/8 Inch Howitzer ballistics, 8 hrs a day and 2 hrs of homework every night. I felt I had my grey matter worn down to the white meat! ha Once we got to shooting, it was a hoot. Yeah, I can do it....just don't like it. Hurts my head....ha

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 01/03/19.
IC B3

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (1234, 257_X_50, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1minute, 222Sako, 56 invisible), 2,410 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,794
Posts18,496,211
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.