-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Having my 1000lb RZR in the back sure makes it ride nicer.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
as does a 3x3 or 4x4 square bale....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Deep snow? Any tire rated for the truck of the stock size. With good Chains on them. The front has limited clearance so you must prefit the chains and use extra binders. Rear has plenty of room. I run Skid steer type chains on rear and very tight fitting V-bar on front. But the front can use other types of chain. S-type with built in adjuster, Heavy cable, Even the Skid steer type in an emergency.

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by baltz526
Deep snow? Any tire rated for the truck of the stock size. With good Chains on them. The front has limited clearance so you must prefit the chains and use extra binders. Rear has plenty of room. I run Skid steer type chains on rear and very tight fitting V-bar on front. But the front can use other types of chain. S-type with built in adjuster, Heavy cable, Even the Skid steer type in an emergency.

The stock size for my pickup is 265 70 17. I use 245 75 17. They're the same height and load rating but a couple inches narrower. That gives a lot of extra room for chains.

― George Orwell

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have a 14 crew cab long bed duramax. I run studded lt245/75/17 10 ply cooper discover m&s. They are straight up snow tires. I plow with my truck also. These tires are awesome. 2 years ago we got hit with a 32" storm. I pushed and drove through it with no problems. I do use a western mvp v- plow. Here in Se Pa we get a lot of ice and they do well in that also. They drive and wear nice also.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Originally Posted by JGray
Reading the thread title, my first thought was the Duratrac but it sounds like that's a no-go. I'm running the Cooper STMaxx on my '06 Dodge 2500 deisel and thought they did great last winter though never got into any real deep snow. They have 3 sidewall plies and have a good reputation for wearing well and holding up off the highway. I have 18k on mine and am happy with them so far...

I also like the Coopers. I tried the Dura Track on my 2500 Ram Diesel, and they have too soft a side wall. Even at max pressure, with a heavy load,you can feel the side wall roll on curves. Without a load ,I could not see them doing any better than any other snow tire.The Coopers are not as expensive and a better tire IMHO.

I suspect your claiming the truck goes from side to side is the posi-traction/limited slip. An empty bed pickup is about useless in snow if you don't have 4wd. If I put 1500 pounds or so in mine,it will push about any amount of snow until it high centers

My sentiments almost exactly. I have a 2500 RAM diesel now and been driving a diesel since 2007. First let me say the diesels chew up tires like a new puppy and leather boots. I get maybe, maybe 20,000 miles out of a set of tires, and I've tried Michelin, Good Year, Firestone, Cooper, and Arctic Claw. The firestone highway tires that came with the truck sucked. Like couldn't even get me out of wet grass. The Good Years were all mud type tires, DuraTrax/MT/R and the AT3 (more all terrain). They were OK, but damn if I could get even 12,000 miles out of them. The DuraTrac was studded. They all were bad in the snow and the DuraTracs just a little less bad, but the truck I had them on didn't have limited slip and in 2 wheel drive, would spin the drive wheel with the lightest touch of the gas on a snowy road - even with studs. Michelin was stock tire and just as bad as the firestone. Been using Cooper for about six years now and really like them. Still don't get more than 15-20K out of them though. On my second set of STT pro's and they are awesome in the summer. I'm on nasty construction sites, hard gravel, rock 4x4 roads, mud, and obviously pavement. They are louder than I'd like on the pavement, but their summer performance off road is so admirable, I deal with it. Add snow to the mix though and they are like Firestones on wet grass. Forget it. Last year I bought a dedicated winter tire and put them on some used wheels from Craigslist. Literally day and night difference in snow. The Arctic Claws are better than the the studded GoodYears by 100x. I seriously couldn't believe what a difference a dedicated winter tire made. Deep or light snow, doesn't matter. Slush, all good. Seriously impressed. Super quiet on the road too.

Last edited by Mountain10mm; 07/26/18.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My sentiments almost exactly. I have a 2500 RAM diesel now and been driving a diesel since 2007. First let me say the diesels chew up tires like a new puppy and leather boots. I get maybe, maybe 20,000 miles out of a set of tires, and I've tried Michelin, Good Year, Firestone, Cooper, and Arctic Claw.
Sounds like you have a problem with the truck. I have an '08 Ram diesel. It had new dealer installed BFG Rugged Trail A/T's when I bought in in '12. They lasted 50k and I now have them on my horse trailer. They should be good for maybe 10k on it.

― George Orwell

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
My sentiments almost exactly. I have a 2500 RAM diesel now and been driving a diesel since 2007. First let me say the diesels chew up tires like a new puppy and leather boots. I get maybe, maybe 20,000 miles out of a set of tires, and I've tried Michelin, Good Year, Firestone, Cooper, and Arctic Claw.
Sounds like you have a problem with the truck. I have an '08 Ram diesel. It had new dealer installed BFG Rugged Trail A/T's when I bought in in '12. They lasted 50k and I now have them on my horse trailer. They should be good for maybe 10k on it.

I wish it was the truck. Been that way for every diesel I've owned and every tire brand I've tried. It's up and down mountains here to get to town with switch backs at 50mph. Do about 3000+ miles of towing an 8000lb trailer each summer as well. Probably 1000+ miles of gravel roads each summer and fall too. Maybe those are the issues? Not sure. Tires are rotated and balanced regularly. I don't drive it hard either, just cannot get tires to last with the diesel.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
nitto exo grapplers are made for diesel trucks and their extra weight.

“Lighten up Francis”
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Blizzaks are hard to beat if you are talking about a dedicated snow/ice tire

IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Cooper,s ran a plow truck in Anchorage with them, Got stuck one time plowing uphill, had to crawl out the truck window,
could not open the door. Pretty impressive snow tire!

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Berksbowman
I have a 14 crew cab long bed duramax. I run studded lt245/75/17 10 ply cooper discover m&s. They are straight up snow tires. I plow with my truck also. These tires are awesome. 2 years ago we got hit with a 32" storm. I pushed and drove through it with no problems. I do use a western mvp v- plow. Here in Se Pa we get a lot of ice and they do well in that also. They drive and wear nice also.

I saw those tires at the tire shop and was thinking they looked like a good snow tire, but didn't otherwise know anything about them. How do they hold up?

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by duckster

I had those on a car. Great snow tire, but soft. Do they old up well on a diesel?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Doesn't really matter as long as the chains fit!!!!!!

But narrow tires work better that fat tires in the snow.

Get the tallest skinniest tire size.

Last edited by Reba; 08/08/18.

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
Originally Posted by duckster

I had those on a car. Great snow tire, but soft. Do they old up well on a diesel?

First let me say this, I usually put my Blizzaks on around November and run them til late April or May. I originally bought those tires on 01/13/2010, so they are over 8 years old. I don't drive my 2500HD many miles, but if I had to guess the Blizzaks have from 22,000 to 25,000 miles on them now, tread is still real good.

Yelp they are a soft rubber tire that's why they get good traction, they are kind of squirrely in the curves, but there again I don't expect them to handle like a high performance tire I want them to get me where I'M going in the snow. I have towed a camper more than 245 miles one way with no issues since they are load rated for it. My truck is mainly used for hunting trips and general transportation in the winter when the Blizzaks are on it. I don't know how they would hold up if a man had them on a work truck towing hard everyday.

NEVER GIVE UP
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I loved Blizzaks on the car. After I got them I attempt to stop on ice going down a steep hill. A gravel road, but this day was covered in ice. I got up to 25 and slammed on the breaks. I stopped in short order on the hill. Barely slid. I have gone with bigger lugged tire for the old pick-up (no longer have) and Suburban because we quite often have to dig through drifts to get to the highway.

The Blizzaks were run from Nov-May and last 3 years.

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Reba
Doesn't really matter as long as the chains fit!!!!!!

But narrow tires work better that fat tires in the snow.

Get the tallest skinniest tire size.

My old pick-up had narrow tires on in the winter. Did great. Chains fit great on them, but they were rarely needed.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I run narrower than stock tires on my Dodge Diesel. They have the same diameter and weight rating. They handle great. With stock size, I can only use the smallest chain size. With the narrow ones, I can put on tractor type chains if I need to as the tires leave an extra inch of space on either side. Some modern vehicles can't run chains on the front at all. Narrower tires might allow for it.

― George Orwell

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The coopers hold up really well. I only run them in the winter. They are way to soft to run in the heat of the summer. I've had this last set for 4 years and they still look new.

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I had Coopers on a 3/4 ton Chevy for several years ((I don't remember which ones.) Great on snow and ice, but only lasted 2 years each time.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

222 members (1minute, 1_deuce, 264mag, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 204guy, 32 invisible), 2,467 guests, and 1,166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,060
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.