Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Fotis Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
going to fix the eye relief problem on their ultralight. Want to replace a few Leupolds before they give up the ghost in the field.

That is all they are missing for my needs.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Same day Barrett introduces the Fieldcraft in 280ai.

And agree. I would like to see that as well.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Maybe about the same time they start using their 1-4x short turrets on the fixed power models.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Fotis
going to fix the eye relief problem on their ultralight. Want to replace a few Leupolds before they give up the ghost in the field.

That is all they are missing for my needs.

So much trashing of Leupold on this site. Now, they all have to be replaced before they fail in the field.

SWFA is a small operation. I think sometimes people forget they aren't a major optics company. They sell firearms, optics and accessories.

Scott
Fotis Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
None of my SWFA's have failed so far. Owned them for a while. I have had 7 broken leupies from my Weatherby's so far. Four on my 378 and 2 were MK4's

μολὼν λαβέ

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
They won't be changing anything
That scope is just a re badged Sightron with a few grooves milled in the ocular housing
That in itself is good because those scopes are rock solid, I have used one extensively for over 10 years and never even noticed the eye relief until it was cried about on here.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock
They won't be changing anything
That scope is just a re badged Sightron with a few grooves milled in the ocular housing
That in itself is good because those scopes are rock solid, I have used one extensively for over 10 years and never even noticed the eye relief until it was cried about on here.

It ain't crying, but OK.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
The current Ultralight is not intended for hard kickers, although I do agree that it is a very nice little scope (as was the little Sightron that was mentioned earlier).

I do not think SWFA is quite done introducing new hunting scopes, but I suspect a lot depends on market response to scopes out there now. I assure you, they pay attention to what people say. Still, they introduce products one at a time and focus on getting them right, which takes time.

I know what I would like to see next and I gave them my feedback. We'll see what they decide to do.

ILya

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I got one of the ultralights this week. I will have a harder time seeing the tiny turret than seeing the reticle in twilight.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Fotis Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
What did you mount it on

μολὼν λαβέ

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ever thought that swfa might not see the issue with the scope. And they wanted it that way

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fotis
What did you mount it on

So far nothing.
I built 6 rifles in the last month.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...ing-rifles-for-october-hunt#Post13124567
I leave to go hunting in a couple weeks.
That scope's only hope for 2018 is if I put a Husq Mauser action together with a Bartlein barrel, Timney trigger, 2 position M70 safety, and a Bordon stock.. this week.
I have the reamers and the Bartleins to make that a 25-06, 6.5-06, or 280AI. I would be inclined to do the 280AI.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Might not be exactly what they wanted, but it obviously was okay for them, especially as opposed to having something new worked up at their expense. There's probably more like that out there than one would suppose. Still looks like a reasonable choice for .22s or other light kickers for those who don't need high power and brightness at the same time.

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Should have parallax adjustment if meant for .22, huh?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
Ever thought that swfa might not see the issue with the scope. And they wanted it that way

Correct. This scope was intended this way. Now, that does not mean they will not have some other models aimed at a different market niche. However, this particular design will get a new BDC reticle shortly.

ILya

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I have never designed and sold rifle scopes so what is the advantage to such a short eye relief? I believe that is the chief complaint about this scope. So is it not possible to build this scope "for its intended purpose" and give it more eye relief to gain more customers?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If Castle_Rock is correct and this is just a cosmetic redo of an existing scope, that would explain the design. Can't just snap your fingers and change the eye-relief; everything's connected as they say. If, on the other hand, it's new, then the ER is either a compromise to achieve the other optical goals, or a giant boo-boo that will turn some buyers away, but obviously not all. Like it or lump it; buy it or don't; can't see them changing it now.

What fresh Hell is this?
I
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by Pappy348
If Castle_Rock is correct and this is just a cosmetic redo of an existing scope, that would explain the design. Can't just snap your fingers and change the eye-relief; everything's connected as they say. If, on the other hand, it's new, then the ER is either a compromise to achieve the other optical goals, or a giant boo-boo that will turn some buyers away, but obviously not all. Like it or lump it; buy it or don't; can't see them changing it now.

Castle Rock is wrong.

There is a Sightron that is physically similar in many regards, but the specs are wildly different.

weight, diameter, travel, eye-relief are all vastly different...all expect weight favor or the Sightron btw.

Dave

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by koshkin
The current Ultralight is not intended for hard kickers, although I do agree that it is a very nice little scope (as was the little Sightron that was mentioned earlier).

I do not think SWFA is quite done introducing new hunting scopes, but I suspect a lot depends on market response to scopes out there now. I assure you, they pay attention to what people say. Still, they introduce products one at a time and focus on getting them right, which takes time.

I know what I would like to see next and I gave them my feedback. We'll see what they decide to do.

ILya

Somebody was out of focus the day they reviewed the ER specs.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by iddave
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Castle Rock is wrong.

There is a Sightron that is physically similar in many regards, but the specs are wildly different.

weight, diameter, travel, eye-relief are all vastly different...all expect weight favor or the Sightron btw.

Dave

I think you might find that I am correct if you do a bit of research, there have been a couple of Sightron models in the 2-10 range

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 160user, 22magnut, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 59 invisible), 2,511 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,185
Posts18,484,797
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.