Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Ole Milton often defended Unions....or maybe cut them some slack.

Not exactly:

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If you think unions are evil, do a little research on the conditions of and the violence directed at workers in the late 1800s and early 1900s. Check out the condition of Chinese labor today. Business will buy their inputs as absolutely cheap as they can. Government unions are one thing but for the life of me I don't see how these "right to work for less" laws are constitutional. A union agreement with a private business is a private contract for the union exclusively to provide labor very similar to the agreements that businesses make with temporary/employment services to provide their labor which in effect causes the employee to pay the temp agency a fee to obtain employment. Yes, the business figures that cost into what they are willing to pay. If it weren't for unions there would be no employer furnished insurance, workers comp, safety requirements, social security, and the list goes on and on. The sad thing is that now with anti-union sentiment so strong that the U.S. worker is forced to compete with slave labor overseas that works so cheap that raw materials can be shipped over and finished products shipped back at a price impossible to compete with if we are to have workers that live indoors and have food to eat. The U.S. didn't abolish slavery, it just farmed it out to foreigners.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Hastings
If you think unions are evil, do a little research on the conditions of and the violence directed at workers in the late 1800s and early 1900s. Check out the condition of Chinese labor today. Business will buy their inputs as absolutely cheap as they can. Government unions are one thing but for the life of me I don't see how these "right to work for less" laws are constitutional. A union agreement with a private business is a private contract for the union exclusively to provide labor very similar to the agreements that businesses make with temporary/employment services to provide their labor which in effect causes the employee to pay the temp agency a fee to obtain employment. Yes, the business figures that cost into what they are willing to pay. If it weren't for unions there would be no employer furnished insurance, workers comp, safety requirements, social security, and the list goes on and on. The sad thing is that now with anti-union sentiment so strong that the U.S. worker is forced to compete with slave labor overseas that works so cheap that raw materials can be shipped over and finished products shipped back at a price impossible to compete with if we are to have workers that live indoors and have food to eat. The U.S. didn't abolish slavery, it just farmed it out to foreigners.
Very well said !

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Most how long for the days of American manufacturing dominance are completely ignorant of the root cause of that dominance. It was World War II.

I sure you are right, but I noticed when I visited Alaska that at the old, now defunct mining sites that all the heavy equipment bore names of U.S. companies from the industrial areas of the nation. Not a piece was foreign and it was all pre WW II

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by Hastings
Very well said !

+1

IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Public Employee Unions are not real Unions. They are scam organizations who answer to nobody. Private Unions I am not a fan of but people have a right to them and the give and take between them and private business will sort things out.

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
As I understand it, Milton was quick to point out that Unions took the blame for too much....a scapegoat.

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
I agree that unions improved the lot of mistreated workers, but that purpose didnt remain their main goal. They are a prime reason our industry has moved overseas and were the driving force behind the destruction of this country by the part they played in pushing the dimocrap agenda. They have done their best to destroy the 1st and 2nd A though that was not the wishes of their members.

If they had their way Hillary would be in the WH for the simple reason she can be bought. They care not for Trump or MAGA though their leadership wants to benefit from it.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GunReader
Unions are part of a balance of power. When it gets out of balance in either direction it is bad.

Unions were the only solution to the appalling labor abuses of the 19th century. They were needed to offset the monopoly of capital. But when some unions became too powerful by the 1960s their abuse of their monopoly of labor drove many American industries into the ground. So I think they are like medicine, you need some but too much will kill you.

The worst abuse of the monopoly of labor by unions is the public sector unions. Abusive private sector unions can be countered by moving production to another area or another producer but public sector employers are tied to one location, one producer. You can't move your local grade school to Kentucky of let it go bankrupt and be replaced by a different school, the teachers unions have absolute power over their employers and abuse their monopoly to pick everyone else's pockets.

Several issues addressed here. Very succinctly.

If we are lucky, unions will come back into play someday.
I don't wish for things to get bad enough for people to want them, but they will.
It's started. Companies dropping pensions, now dropping 401 contrubutions.
The income rise in the top economic levels, the stagnation in the middle, the fall for the lowest.
Insurance taking more of a person's income. People are still borrowing to get what they want.
The time will come when they realize they are getting the shaft, and organizing is the only way to have real clout.

That's if we are lucky.
If we aren't, our personal freedoms will have been totally lost by then, or China will rule.
Then it will be work under the gun.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jaguartx

If they had their way Hillary would be in the WH for the simple reason she can be bought. They care not for Trump or MAGA though their leadership wants to benefit from it.

I am a registered Democrat and look in favor on labor unions, but I would bet that mine and your respective votes for national office and president in particular would match exactly. I also would bet that our views on the welfare state and 2nd amendment are pretty compatible. There are a bunch of us that gave Trump, both Bushes, and Reagan the margin of victory. We just don't appreciate our kids competing for jobs with foreign slave labor. The designation "labor union" indicates an organization of WORKING people. We don't mind business making money, they have to do that. We don't mind paying a little more for our consumer goods. We want a fair shake when it comes to splitting the loot.

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

I've yet to see a company, in my area at least, that has had it's employees vote for union representation, that couldn't have prevented it from ever happening, had they just offered reasonably decent livable wages and benefits, treated everyone respectfully, fairly, honestly and equally, and provide reasonably safe working conditions. Many examples of companies that have and continue to do so as proof.

The labor force at the company I worked for for 23+ years voted "NO" on union representation three consecutive years but voted "YES" the fourth year after being conned, and catered to in the weeks prior and up to the moment of each previous vote and then nothing but broken promises and back to the same old BS afterward.

As to a unionized labor force being used as a scapegoat, based on the way things have turned out in our situation, apparently that 'shoe' fits quite well. Over the past 15 - 18 years or so since they got rid of their, according to management, "troublesome - root of all our problems", union represented workforce, their stock fell well below $1.00 a share causing it to be removed from the NYSE twice. They filed corporate bankruptcy once (some really big bucks were made by a few select corporate level major stock holders on this one) and were bordering on a second bankruptcy just a few years later, until a private investment group bought it. Another very well known investment/consultant firm had owned it for a few years back in the early-mid '90s when it was still a union shop. They had the place running more efficiently and profitable than it ever had and still got along fine with the union. Middle and upper management literally hated it, too, because it showed how inept they were.

This manufacturing company was a well established company that had maintained never less than 60% and usually 70% or better world market share for years on products they manufactured.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
I'm curious to see what happens to the workforce of all the nonunion auto plants in the south in the next 10-20 years. With no pension, they have to depend on a 401K. Very few people like saving for that far in the future. As their workforces age, many won't be able to do the physical work anymore. I foresee many terminated and corresponding age discrimination lawsuits. In unions, you gave up some upfront money in order to pay for your pension down the road.
If unions get much weaker, they won't be the watchdogs of OSHA and EPA regulations anymore and industry lobbyists will have a field day bribing (contributing) to politicians to get regulations rolled back to make us like 3rd world countries. Think it can't happen, think again. People here are all concerned about the weakening of the 2nd Amendment. Yet, it's a lot easier to roll back regulations than it is to amend the Constitution.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

137 members (1badf350, 470Evans, 16penny, 44mc, 405winash, 35, 15 invisible), 1,691 guests, and 794 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,651
Posts18,512,651
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.