Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Thinking things over, a 3/4 ton gas would be better for my use than a diesel. Most of my trips are short, pulling trailer full of hay 15-20 miles, pulling a tractor on a trailer, pulling a livestock trailer with 3 horses, same stock trailer rotating stock or to the sale barn. Rarely over 30 miles one way. I do it now with a 1/2 ton Tundra and it works fine, my biggest concern isn't pulling but braking going down the mountain....but I take it easy, use common sense, and make sure the trailer brakes are set well. I use it often but trips just aren't that long. Going 3/4 ton, a diesel would cost me more than it would be worth over gas in both the long and short run. My parents pull a camper all over the US....diesel was by far the best choice for them.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I pull a 23’ boat, about 5-6k pounds I’d guess, with an older v10 f250. 4:30 rear end. It has plenty of grunt but will run out of breath on steep hills. Never much of an issue though.

I pulled a 23’ travel trailer this week down the coast, about 5k to 5.5k pounds loaded, with an 02 6.0 GMC with a 4:10 rear end. Same deal, except a serious lack of azz on the mountain passes. Some long steep climbs will have you at 40-45 mph if you don’t want to run the schit out of the motor.

The V10 makes more torque and pulls better at low rpm. The extra displacement is nice. Both get about the same mileage. 11-12ish unladen and 8ish with the trailer/boat.

A modern 8.1 or similar would be nice with an 8 or 10 speed tranny.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by MadMooner
I pull a 23’ boat, about 5-6k pounds I’d guess, with an older v10 f250. 4:30 rear end. It has plenty of grunt but will run out of breath on steep hills. Never much of an issue though.

I pulled a 23’ travel trailer this week down the coast, about 5k to 5.5k pounds loaded, with an 02 6.0 GMC with a 4:10 rear end. Same deal, except a serious lack of azz on the mountain passes. Some long steep climbs will have you at 40-45 mph if you don’t want to run the schit out of the motor.

The V10 makes more torque and pulls better at low rpm. The extra displacement is nice. Both get about the same mileage. 11-12ish unladen and 8ish with the trailer/boat.

A modern 8.1 or similar would be nice with an 8 or 10 speed tranny.

Yelp, Chevy, Ford, Dodge, somebody needs to bring back a true big block gas motor that has some grunt to it. 400 plus HP and well over 550FT Pounds of torque, might just do it.

NEVER GIVE UP
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Originally Posted by LouisB
DEF I am pretty sure.

Yes, modern trucks use it. Somewhere just prior to DEF, I had a ford that simply dumped raw fuel into the exhaust stream for the purpose of burning clean the "exhaust filter" which was in the series of filter, cat, muffler along the path to the tailpipe.

Shortly after that method, DEF came along.

DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) regenerative 2008 and later in the Duramaxes
DEF (Diesel Emissions Fluid) urea additive 2011 and up in the Duramaxes

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by LouisB
DEF I am pretty sure.

Yes, modern trucks use it. Somewhere just prior to DEF, I had a ford that simply dumped raw fuel into the exhaust stream for the purpose of burning clean the "exhaust filter" which was in the series of filter, cat, muffler along the path to the tailpipe.

Shortly after that method, DEF came along.

DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) regenerative 2008 and later in the Duramaxes
DEF (Diesel Emissions Fluid) urea additive 2011 and up in the Duramaxes

No worries here my 2006 Chevy Crew Cab 4X4, 2500HD Duramax and 6 speed, Allison transmission, does not have any particle filters, no DEF, if I was just rid of the EGR. Not the most powerful modern Diesel on the road but I swear I can spin the tires anytime I want even with 8000 pounds hooked to the back of it. Oh yea it only has 83,000 miles on it, most of those are hunting season miles, it sees some camper and farming duties now and then.

NEVER GIVE UP
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I’ve got an 07 Classic with more than twice as many miles, EGR blocked, etc. It’s a beast.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by acooper1983
my bone stock truck gets 22-23 at 78mph on the highway, and 14 pulling my trailer at 72-74 with the air on and the wife and kid in the truc

And that's with $2.73 in change in your pocket, 2 coffees, a sippy cup, 17 bugs on the windshield and the tailgate is UP!

Whew!

lol!

Just ribb'n ya buddy. I average 12 crazy

Something clever here.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Northern Dave, I thoroughly enjoyed your diesel story. It was right on the money. I have a 2002 Ford F350 7.3 diesel, SRW with a steel flatbed on it. Bought new in Oct of 2001. It now has 63,000 miles. Prior truck was a 1990 Ford F250, 460 gas with 4.10 gears and a 5 speed manual. This diesel is my first auto truck. In hindsight, I should have kept the 460 gaser. It pulled great but loved fuel. Back then diesel was same or cheaper than gas so with the fuel mileage advantage, the diesel made sense. Also I had had a catalytic converter stop up while on a trip pulling with the 460. My 2002 7.3 doesn't have that.

Since I no longer pull trailers much, a gas truck would make more sense for me. I hate having to put fuel anti-gel in during the winter and plugging it in so it doesn't sound like a thrashing machine when it starts. It is a good old truck but I have never liked the auto trans. If I could find a similar gas truck in the same shape and mileage, I'd probably swap.

If I was buying a new truck today, it would be gas.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If your not hooked to the heavy trailer all the time...gas.

AKA glazer1972 Original Registration 09/07/03. 235 Original Posts. Re-registered due to issues with Private Messaging.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here's what happens with a diesel truck.

you buy the truck and you get to pay way more money for the truck up front before you even start bleeding cash due to the ownership.

you get to the pump, you touch the pump handle with one finger and you are instantly coated head to toe with diesel, which you get to smell as you drive, as you raise your coffee or water bottle to your face, as you eat your breakfast sammich etc. It's on you now, for the day, embrace it. Not to mention that 3 oz of fuel that dumped out of the nozzle and on top of your boot as you were positioning the nozzle to insert into the fuel filler on the truck. (it soaks into leather really well) It's handy that diesel nozzles are ALWAYS full of fuel for you to spill on your boots, pants etc. Diesel fuel pumps are the ghettos of the filling station.

Oil chainge? Great news! Your truck holds 3 gallons of the most expensive engine oil ever produced and the change intervals are on par with the last gas truck you owned.... The filter? That's not cheap, why the hell would that be cheap? Since you are changing filters, why don't you do the fuel filters too? (yes plural). You have now serviced your engine for $160 (if you do it yourself) and you are good for another 5000 miles!

Now you go on that hunting trip. Did you know the front of your truck weighs 5 trillion tons? You'll figure that out once you reach some mud and or deep snow.

She's a champ on pavement with a trailer hitched up tho, no denying that. Now where did I put that jug of DEF?

I stopped at the store this AM and picked up a couple gallons of diesel for stump burning.

About 9 hours later, as I’m enjoying dinner, I realize my hands stink like diesel and thought of Northern Dave. Lol.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Isopropyl alcohol. I keep a Zep spray bottle full in the trucks and shops. It cuts diesel great.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

66 members (alffe, 6mmCreedmoor, anothergun, 375sunrise, 13 invisible), 832 guests, and 883 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,977
Posts18,519,915
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.