24hourcampfire.com
-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Originally Posted by Hesp
For those interested we had some rain here yesterday afternoon & last night.Low of 49 this morning . This is still August even if it is the last day.. For the last week & a half I have noticed that the leaves on the Gamble oak & Mountain mahogany have been turning color to yellow. A bit early for this to be happening. Perhaps fall could be a bit early this year???

That would be great if fall was coming in early. 56 days until I'm up there in your neck of the woods.

We had trees dropping leaves here in southeast Texas but it is due to stress caused by the high temps and lack of rain.

To be.....that is the answer.
GB1

H
Hesp Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Got a decent storm over the La Plata's ( southern end of unit 74 ) this after noon. Light dusting of snow on the upper elevations. Heavy rain lower. Things are changing slowly.

That's awesome.....hope you start seeing more of that same weather pattern soon.

To be.....that is the answer.
H
Hesp Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Have had several days now of clear weather & high tempts in the low 80's. Lows mid 50's. Same forecast for the next 7 days. My vegetation, gamble oak, mountain mahogany etc turning yellow to orange. Sometimes new deer show up on my place in late summer to early fall. Hasn't happened so far. Maybe later. Haven't seen a coyote in months.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Hesp, riding around the Animas river valley south of Durango and over north of hwy 160 this afternoon have seen over 100 mule deer and several shooter bucks among them.

Yesterday took the hwy 550 loop around from Durango, Silverton, Ouray, Ridgeway and on to Cortez, back to Durango and saw numerous mulies, turkeys and 2 moose feeding in the willow bottoms between Silverton and ouray. The foliage changes along the way are beautiful and will only get better over the next few weeks. Had a great dinner at the Kennebec.

Regrettably gotta leave early in the morning for home.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
IC B2

H
Hesp Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Hey Toot, nice story. Very positive. My place is 15 or so miles SW of Durango.. The # of deer on my place this year is down significantly. In past years I have always had lot's of deer..The land owners around me I've talked to tell the same story. I know the deer exist some where but have for what ever reason left my area. It's good to hear about the game you saw. The problem is if you have a deer tag you are restricted to a specific zone. Not like the old days when you could wander around & hunt any where you wanted. I'm an old type guy also , so you & I understand. We need to get together some time for a cup . Thanks again for your story. I enjoyed it.

Last edited by Hesp; 09/16/18.
H
Hesp Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
[Linked Image]
Took this picture this morning ( 9-20-18 ) of the La Plata MTs. As you can see the aspens are starting to change at the higher elevations. I don't know the exact elevation where these aspens are but has to be close to 10,000'. The low this morning at my place ( 7630' ) was 47. Coolest so far this summer. Light rain last night. Where the aspens are changing has to be freezing or below. Weather is turning toward fall.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

111 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 300_savage, 007FJ, 1_deuce, 13 invisible), 1,609 guests, and 978 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,082
Posts18,501,642
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.