Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 24 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 23 24
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Lemme see: I have owned rifles (often multiple rifles)chambered for the 6.5x54 Mannllicher-Schoenauer, 6.5x54 Mauser Kurz, 6.5 Creedmoor, .260 Remington, 6.5x55, 6.5-06, 6.5 PRC, .264 Winchester Magnum, 26 Nosler and 6.5-300 Weatherby Magnum. Or at least those are the 6.5 cartridges I can recall at the moment. Have killed big game with most of them, and by golly they all did the job, if I did mine.

Which do any of you think might kick the 6.5 Creedmoor's ass? If you define "kicking ass" as getting more muzzle velocity, then most of them. But if muzzle velocity is THE criteria for the value of centerfire cartridges, then ONLY the very fastest/biggest would exist. The others would have faded off into the marketing sunset.

I might also point out that the velocity advantage of the 6.5x55 over the 6.5 Creedmoor is about 2%--IF we load them both at the same pressure, in the same barrel length. This amounts to about 50 fps with 140-grain bullets, as much velocity as typically lost within 20 yards from the muzzle. Please explain how this kicks ass.

Of course, before most of us owned "personal" chronographs, 50 fps of muzzle velocity difference was theoretical--and often is even today, due to the cheap-ass chronographs most handloaders use. Back before such "affordable" chronographs, we'd base our arguments on the maximum velocities printed (on paper) in handloading manuals. Which turned out to be inaccurate when we finally got chronographs, because of variations in rifles, powders, bullets, etc.

The rating of cartridges by muzzle velocity has been going on since the development of practical smokeless rifle powder in the 1880's. but most shooters have never been able to prove it makes any difference when shooting big game, except possibly in their minds. Which is where the BS on this thread comes from.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Don’t ya just love it?

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
The way I see it the 6.5X55 (and it’s ilke) is the 6.5 Creedmoor version 1.0, the .260 and it’s kind the 6.5 Creedmoor version 1.1, and of course now the 6.5 Creedmoor version 1.2. With the popularity of the newest version there will likely be a version 1.3 and it will be the superest, duperest of them all - with advantages so great that we’ll all run down to our local LGS and purchase one.

Sorry that’s just my weariness showing - makes me laugh when “newbies” spout off about this great new cartridge and all it’s superiority to the rest of the cartridges out there.

PennDog

p.s. I have 6.5X55s (original military models - a Krag and a Swedish Mausers) and seven .260s - the only reason I don’t have a 6.5 Creedmoor is I have the 6.5X55s and seven .260s (and all the components for them) otherwise it is a good cartridge but I personally wouldn’t gain enough from it to realize any real world advantages.....also that I’m more a .25 caliber nut😄

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

The rating of cartridges by muzzle velocity has been going on since the development of practical smokeless rifle powder in the 1880's. but most shooters have never been able to prove it makes any difference when shooting big game, and except possibly in their minds. Which is where the BS on this thread comes from.

OKAY, I’ll take the bait. smile

It’s NO secret that I’m a velocity (speed, for some) junkie ! !

I ain’t ashamed. There is ONLY 1 reason I dote on velocity.......FLAT TRAJECTORY , or flattER.

***Shooting similar bullets*** , the advantage isn’t a bigger hole, not more penetration (maybe less), & not necessarily.
greater tissue destruction. Remember Similar Bullets. < construction >.

Also as you said + 50 FPS makes NO difference. ( paraphrased ).

But if you gain ENUFF speed the trajectory is flattER.

A. We HAVE bullets available to limit ruined meat. And with easier shot placement, we can avoid hitting meaty portions.
(There are arguments pertaining to this but they are Knit Picking).

B. Flatter trajectory makes shot placement easier.

C. Some hunters are UNable to deal with HI velocity. We, myself included, must understand OUR limitations.

So, this is THE ONE advantage to greater velocity (speed ).

It takes a POOR stock fit and or Hard butt pad for hi velocity to bother me. I’ve killed enuff WT with the Mags to prove that.
I would not hardly discuss the velocity differenjce between the 260, 6.5 C, & 6.5 Swede.

The 26 Nosler, 270 Wby Mag,m 7 R & Wb Mags. etc. provide ENUFF additional velocity for it to show up.

I’ve had a long day and my F M D is in full tilt now. (Fading Memory Disorder)

*** tomorrow I should be able to fill in any blanks ?

Last edited by jwall; 09/18/18.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by PennDog
The way I see it the 6.5X55 (and it’s ilke) is the 6.5 Creedmoor version 1.0, the .260 and it’s kind the 6.5 Creedmoor version 1.1, and of course now the 6.5 Creedmoor version 1.2. With the popularity of the newest version there will likely be a version 1.3 and it will be the superest, duperest of them all - with advantages so great that we’ll all run down to our local LGS and purchase one.

Sorry that’s just my weariness showing - makes me laugh when “newbies” spout off about this great new cartridge and all it’s superiority to the rest of the cartridges out there.

PennDog

p.s. I have 6.5X55s (original military models - a Krag and a Swedish Mausers) and seven .260s - the only reason I don’t have a 6.5 Creedmoor is I have the 6.5X55s and seven .260s (and all the components for them) otherwise it is a good cartridge but I personally wouldn’t gain enough from it to realize any real world advantages.....also that I’m more a .25 caliber nut😄

Just think of what's gonna happen if the Creedmoor version 1.3 is introduced............

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by southtexas
The one on the left wins, 'cause it obviously has a bullet with a higher BC, and that, of course, is all that matters.

LOL

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I wonder what the next, greatest development will be? There has to be something on the desks of company R&D people.

[Linked Image]

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I think I’ll never own a 6.5 mm anything. If I did, I might feel compelled to load up some super duper bullets with some new miracle powder and broadly proclaim, with much bovine fecal matter mixed in, that it is the end-all, be-all of rifle cartridges. I’ll just stick with the 11 centerfire calibers already crowding the safes. Happy Trails, y’all

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Everybody's waitin' for the next big thing.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
I nominate WAM and PennDog as Pres, and VP of the 6.5 Creedmoor Whiner's Club, 24HCF Chapter.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I nominate WAM and PennDog as Pres, and VP of the 6.5 Creedmoor Whiner's Club, 24HCF Chapter.

You can tell who has actually waded through the hype and understood the qualities of the round, and those that haven't...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I think a lot depends on the individual rifle.

I just put a NF SHV 3-10x42 on my 6.5 Creed/700/Shilen/McWoody Mtn. Rifle and I really like that combo. Has a 510 Timney.

DF

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
DF-

Nice setup!

WWP53D
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I shoot a 6.5 Creemoor Rimmed.

[Linked Image]

My neighbour grows Creedmoors for their juice. He has a big extraction operation on 180 acres. He sells the concentrate to ammunition manufacturers.

I cannot attest to this, but he tells me that adding the liquid to the powder apparently shrinks the groups. Without the juice, the Creedmoor can only manage to group like a 8mm Lebel. But that's him telling me this.

One thing I'll say about the Lebel. The cartridge is pretty, but the rifle and the groups....

[Linked Image]

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That is a slick-looking rig there, DF. I'd be inclined to Cerakote the metal in graphite black, but that's just me.

I'll be bringing three short-action 6.5 bolt guns to the woods this fall. A 22" 260 sporter shooting 100TTSX's at 3,200 for general purpose use, a 22" varmint-weight 6.5x47L shooting the 129LRAB at 2,900fps for the longer-range spots, and a 22" Bergara HMR Creedmoor shooting 140gr Hornady Black ammo. I picked up that HMR last winter to eventually cut to 16.5" for suppressor use. So that's three 22" guns shooting a mono bullet, a bonded core, and a cup-core at speeds that vary by nearly 600fps. I shot stuff with all three last year, and all stuff died nicely. The 6.5's are flexible, if nothing else.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Brad
My question isn’t “why get a Creedmoor,” but is “why wouldn’t you get a Creedmoor?”

It ticks off so many boxes it’s absurd...

Yup. That's what I've been thinking recently.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
but am growing just as weary of 6.5 "Creedmore" nitwits, who believe somebody, somewhere, is somehow,demanding they buy a 6.5 Creedmoor.

Amen.
There's a good many dudes here that would make for excellent mother-in-laws.

Ain't it the truth! A lot of them are worse than women.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Due to magazine length constrictions, I like the 6.5x47 lapua over the 6.5 creed, then a 260 AI with a wyatt's mag box for speed. I get the same speed with the 6.5x47 Lapua as the 6.5 Creed on my reloads.

260 AI with a wyatt's mag box is a nothing short of spectacular with accuracy in the extremes in velocity. Magazine constraints are HUGE if you shoot much at all....chasing the lands are not part of the picture as the throat grows.

I will NEVER shoot factory ammo.

Last edited by keith; 09/18/18.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by JPro
That is a slick-looking rig there, DF. I'd be inclined to Cerakote the metal in graphite black, but that's just me.

That's a great option. I'd probably go with Eddie Fosnaugh if I did that. He's not the only one, but a good one.

DF

T
Tejano Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T

.[/quote]
That's a great option. I'd probably go with Eddie Fosnaugh if I did that. He's not the only one, but a good one.

DF
[/quote]

That rifle is a keeper.. I would also consider a bead blast and then Melonite treatment of the barrel or the entire action. Only problem is you may never need a new barrel as long as you don't make any more home made proof loads.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Page 13 of 24 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 23 24

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (10gaugemag, 16penny, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 58 invisible), 2,580 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,575
Posts18,492,022
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.