Print Thread
Hop To
O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
monin all. Got a question for ya. Been eying a Seekins in six creed. I hope to scratch an itch after deer season. Bout got my mind made up. But. There is the option of the CTR and the Bergara HMR in 6.5 creed. Between the two, which one gets the nod here on the fire? Not exactly apples to apples. In still leaning toward the six creed just because. How does the HMR actually stack up against the CTR?

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Even though Tikka has seen some price increases lately, I still don't think you can beat them.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Even though Tikka has seen some price increases lately, I still don't think you can beat them.

I agree with that. I’ve got a plain old T3X Lite SS 6.5 CM from Whitaker’s and it’s a machine. It’s got the longer magazine in it which lets me seat the 147 ELD .005” off the rifling and it just plain drives nails. With the 6x SS MQ on top it’s about as easy as it gets.

Semper Fi
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Is a Bergara HMR in 6mm CM an option for you also? The website does offer it. I have a Bergara in 308 that shoots lights out and easy to accessorize Rem platform.

O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
beretz. Did you do a bolt stop change, or did it come that way?

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
IC B2

O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by rj112275
Is a Bergara HMR in 6mm CM an option for you also? The website does offer it. I have a Bergara in 308 that shoots lights out and easy to accessorize Rem platform.

I just went and checked that out. I see it IS offered in the six creed. With a 26" barrel. Pretty cool. That does make a difference as Im leaning that way to begin with.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

I prefer the Tikka CTR over the Bergara, but another option would be the PVA John Hancock if you like the heavier barreled tactical style rifle. It is offered in the 6CM.

http://patriotvalleyarms.com/john-hancock-bolt-action/

SD

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by SD65

I prefer the Tikka CTR over the Bergara, but another option would be the PVA John Hancock if you like the heavier barreled tactical style rifle. It is offered in the 6CM.

http://patriotvalleyarms.com/john-hancock-bolt-action/

SD

PVA looks to be on the cutting edge with John Hancock rifle and their prefit offerings.

But I don’t think I could like the KRG Bravo. I know the PRS types seem to like them but to me they look about one step above a magpul hunter.

The “budget custom” I’m thinking on will involve a Bighorn Origin and a grayboe stock..

Otter6, I have no experience with the Bergara, but I can tell you CTRs all shoot. I’ve had two, and I’ve never seen or heard of one that wouldn’t. For LR fun or dipping a toe into casual competitive shooting I think a CTR would be hard to beat. I don’t love the factory plastic stocks but they’re functional. Drop in replacements are available from manners and McMillan. But adding one of those would put you into the price range of the seekins..

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The 20” CTR, in any of the chamberings offered, covers a lot of bases. They’re set up right in all the right places; 3” Mag box, Threaded for suppressor (or loudener), great trigger, 7.5-7.75lbs naked, well balanced, etc.

You can chassis them, and big glass them, and turn them into a modest weight belly-gun.... that can hang with rigs costing many, many more dollars.

[Linked Image]

Or, you can run Talley’s and a lighter 1” optic for a 8.5lb 600 yard hunting rifle... that still weighs well under 10lbs canned-up...

[Linked Image]

Or, you can go Pseudo Non-Typ.... fixed 10x SS... 9.2 lbs...

[Linked Image]

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
How do you like the MDT LSS with your CTR?

IC B3

O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
You make a pretty convincing case for the ctr Dogshooter.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
If going 6.5 flava, the CTR wins hands down easily.....Dog already spilled the reasons why.

Luke....the KRG Bravo is about the best "budget" minded chassis going. The Magpuls don't even come close, nor do the fake McMillans. One GayBo as a temporary stock while waiting on a Manners was enough for me.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by joshf303
If going 6.5 flava, the CTR wins hands down easily.....Dog already spilled the reasons why.

Luke....the KRG Bravo is about the best "budget" minded chassis going. The Magpuls don't even come close, nor do the fake McMillans. One GayBo as a temporary stock while waiting on a Manners was enough for me.

Well, I may rethink swapping my CTR in a real McMillan for a bighorn in a faux McMillan then.

I retract my uninformed comments on the Bravo.. grin

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Walter_Sobchak
Originally Posted by joshf303

Well, I may rethink swapping my CTR in a real McMillan for a bighorn in a faux McMillan then.

I retract my uninformed comments on the Bravo.. grin

You wont go wrong with the Orgin. Solid action with all the right features, at a better price point vs the TL3/SR3. Just shipped a buddies to Shooter71 here (Shaen) for a 7 SAUM barrel install. If I could have used my TL3 barrels interchangeably with the Orgin, I'da jumped on one at the pre-buy price.

Last edited by joshf303; 09/20/18.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Walter_Sobchak
How do you like the MDT LSS with your CTR?

I’ve never really warmed up to any chassis... I like the CTR stock as is. That’s my brother’s CTR .260, he’s actually getting ready to sell it. He’s grown out of the belly-gun stage, and is spending a lot more time actually hunting. He chopped a T3 Lite .260 to 20” and shoots that most of the time now.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 53 invisible), 2,500 guests, and 1,329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,474
Posts18,471,489
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.