"Chances Will Be Taken"

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Dogshooter,

So the kid behind the counter is FOS. What does that prove, other than he's FOS--and like many older shooters (who have obviously influenced him) believes muzzle velocity is the one and only relevant virtue of any smokeless rifle cartridge.

Look at LeonHitchcox's post: It's the same sort of muzzle-velocity (changed to "veracity" by auto-spell-check) worship shown by 99% of 6.5 Creedmoor critics. THE CARTRIDGE IS NOT ABOUT MUZZLE VELOCITY, except to approximate the same velocities as the .260 and 6.5x55 in a case designed for one of the major realities of modern centerfire rifles--short-action magazines. If velocity was the ONLY criteria for 6.5mm cartridges even the 6.5x55 wouldn't exist, because we'd all be shooting 26 Noslers and 6.5-300 Weatherbys.

As I have pointed out many times before on these stupid threads, the powder capacities of the 6.5 CM, .260 and 6.5x55 are so similar (50 grains, give or take a couple) that the potential muzzle velocity in the same barrel length is within 50 fps of each other, which has zero meaning in the real world. If somebody wants to "build" a .260 on a long action yeah, it will get more velocity/veracity than the 6.5 Creedmoor ever "dreamed about," but it will be mostly due to handloading the .260 hotter, not any meaningful gain in powder room from seating bullets out a little longer. The same thing could be done with the 6.5 Creedmoor, and the same velocities would result, because the powder capacity is just about identical. That was one of the major points in designing the 6.5 Creedmoor: Constructing a .260 that would fit better in a short-action magazine.

I know all this not because of theory, but (as I have also pointed out many times before) I have owned a bunch of .260's and 6.5x55's, and right now own one of each, both very accurate rifles. The .260 is a Tikka T3 with a 1-8 twist 22" barrel, and the 6.5x55 a custom rifle with a Lilja 1-8 twist 21" barrel on an FN Mauser commercial action. Both will get just about the same muzzle as a 22" barreled 6.5 Creedmoor before showing definite pressure problems, even with new Wonder Powders. Yes, I could get more velocity out of either of them with 24-26" barrels, but so would a 6.5 Creedmoor. I know this from once owning a 26" barreled Creedmoor, my very first.

However, I had to lengthen the magazine on the .260 to get the finest accuracy, because the standard 2.85" magazine wouldn't even allow Nosler Ballistic Tips to be seated out to the lands and still fit in the magazine. I lengthened the magazine to 3" and now it shoots about as well as the average out-of-the-box 6.5 Creedmoor factory rifle.

The 6.5x55 is great cartridge, and I've rarely been without one or more for many years. (Actually, aside from the custom FN Mauser, which cost a hell of a lot more than the Tikka .260, I also have a Norwegian Krag.) I've taken a lot of big game with the 6.5x55 out to 400 yards, but it has one major fault in modern rifles: The throat dimensions are all over the place, one major reason factory 6.5x55 ammo varies considerably in both velocity and accuracy in different rifles. Which is exactly why it's primarily a rifle loony round: No matter the rifle, it has to be handloaded to match factory 6.5 Creedmoor ammo in either velocity or accuracy.

All of which is why the 6.5 Creedmoor has become by far the fastest-selling, mid-size 6.5mm round ever. It's being chambered in a lot of factory rifles not just in the U.S. but Europe, and a South African PH friend who owns a big sporting goods store in Kimberley reports that the majority of new rifles he sells these days are 6.5 Creedmoors.

Obviously this makes many shooters angry, given the evidence from this thread and others, but there's not a damn thing any of you can do about it--except not buy a 6.5 Creedmoor. Your ranting has not turned the tide,and neither has constantly pointing out how the .260 and 6.5x55 (especially your personal .260's or 6.5x55's) will do anything the Creedmoor will do. This is especially true of claiming another 50 or whatever fps from your personal anti-Creedmoor rifles.

The same is true of the super-loonies who split hairs over whether the 6.5x47 Lapua, or whatever, is slightly "better" than the 6.5 Creedmoor. That's equally irrelevant, because the 6.5x47 has always been a relatively expensive proposition, both in brass and rifles. The 6.5 Creedmoor is essentially a cheaper version, bringing the advantages to average folks.

But apparently you simply HAVE to keep ranting, just as many people rant about other stuff that won't be changed in the least by their rants. So what if you don't "need" a 6.5 Creedmoor? Nobody ever insisted you buy one. But tens of thousands of other shooters have, and are quite happy with them, because right out of the box they do basically the same things as the 6.5x55, .260 Remington and 6.5x47 Lapua. They got them by going to the nearest store and buying a rifle and and a few boxes of ammo, whether in any of the United States, Europe or Kimberley, South Africa.

Now that I've had my little rant, you can go back to attempting to convince 6.5 Creedmoor buyers they're incredibly stupid and gullible.

Bravo! I now own TWO Creedmoors.......BOTH TIKKAS........love 'em.

Last edited by JGRaider; 09/21/18.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
You want pretentious, talk to a Tikka homer.

Those guys are insufferable.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I'd like to thank all the listeners for phoning in. Our hosts this week were the NRA, as in, 'We Are the NRA'.

Please buy some popcorn and soft drinks available in the lobbY.

Now it's time for our feature presentation! laugh

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I don't have anything against the new cartridges. There's advantages to many, including the Creed.

When I was involved in competition, it seemed that whatever the first place winner shot the next match, many would abandon what they had and have to have what the "winner" shot. For pistol silhouette the 7mm TCU, the 7 mm International and the 7mm-08 seemed to be three of the cartridges that people had to have (fine cartridges). Then there was the 357 Maximum - hot potato for a while. Not just the cartridges though, the bullets were the same way.

In-door pistol shooting; it was the new sights, the new triggers, the new action jobs by bubba's cousin -- everyone wanted to have the best and they threw money at what they were shooting hoping that they could be a winner too. 500 meter paper, 500 meter silhouette, cowboy lever action -- no matter the game the story was the same. There was no way a fellow like me could afford to keep shooting if I had to keep up with the new winner's stuff.

Back to the advantages of the 6.5's. For one thing, I'll never be one to be moving the dials on my scopes, I'm too old for that. So for me if I were to be interested in shooting long range, velocity AND high ballistic coefficient bullets are issues. My long range rifle's are both 7mm's. But to me they are varmint rifles, not by the cartridges, but by the weight and the design of the rifles.

As far as the 260 vs. the 6.5 CM goes. The 260 is a fine cartridge, but it suffers the same fate as all the 308 based cartridges, I think. Short actions (at least the 700's) are often too short, in my opinion, for the cartridge if a shooter wants long high ballistic coefficient bullets. Further the 260 rate of twist is an issue.

Layne Simpson came out with his design of the 7mm - 250 Savage improved (if I recall right) -- I believe that it was a cartridge designed for a rifle. Quite similar in ways to the Creed.

The Creed seems to me to be optimized for a Remington short action 700 and for long range with it's fast twist and it's case over-all length.

I certainly do not dislike the Creed. I'm glad the cartridge designers are still at work. Hopefully, it will be a big advantage in the end, for me, I tend to shoot mainly older cartridges. But now and then something brand new like the 270. whistle. I like old rifles. I wish people would abandon their Model 71's, their model '86's, the '95's, the 92's, the 30s', their old Winchester 70's etc. and all switch to the Creed. (Do it now please! And let an old fart be able to afford more of these classics.)

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The 6.5 Cm is as good as it gets as is Mule Deer opinions.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by johnw
Don't deny it... Read my signature line...

You trying to say those Scandinavians are harder headed than the Irish... shocked

DF

I'm not sure that is possible. crazy

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The contention and high-pitched whining from the 6.5 Creedmoor antagonists is pure comedy.

[Linked Image]

WWP53D
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
You haven’t lived until you hear a arguement at a competition between a 6 BR, 6 Dasher, and enter stage right - the 6.5 Creed shooter over which is best for competition.

I am guilty of recommending to a creed fanatic that he could fit those “long bullets” into a 260 case if he just cut them down a bit.

He couldn’t tell if I was joking or not... classic

Last edited by Spotshooter; 09/21/18.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
the LGS has a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor languishing on the shelf... one of the ones with the funky green stock with the threaded barrel... it just languishes there... month after month after month... the rifle has been handled so many times the barrel has a crosshatch on it from being placed back on the hooks so many times... i am tempted to buy the dang thing and go shoot it... but if the first three shots aren't "very" sub 1" then I know it must be 95% likely that I SUCK AS A SHOOTER and only 1% it must be the rifle's fault and 4% moon phase must be wrong...

(I guess i could blame Leupold if I scope it with a Leupold)

so tell me in advance, how well will this rifle shoot with the only factory ammo the LGS sells... the 143 ELDX Precision Hunter...???

IC B3

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My RAP didn’t like the 143s very much. Eighty MOA. But the 140 ELDs were amazing.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’ve had more than a few 260s since 2000 or so, and a couple Creedmoors. When it comes to velocity, the current creedmoor soundly stomps the current 260, mostly cause it’s got a barrel that's at least a decent hard pecker length longer than the 260. None of the bunch have failed to perform the intended function, which was target practice and killing animals. The availability of 200 round boxes of “cheap” Hornady HPBT that shoot MOA or less has made it easy to like the Creed for banging steel.

The battle is over, and Creed won this one Rocky fans.

"Your range of experience runs that gamut from A to B, plus you're a nitwit. That's a hard combination to overcome, though some people try." - JB
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by MattMan

Um, no, it didn't. If it was a clear winner, the thread wouldn't have gone on as long as it did. The Creedmoor is just the current fan fave in a long list of faves, dating back to the 1800s. It will be replaced by the next "best thing".
---

I have enjoyed the thread so far. Neither side has convinced me of its value or lack of same.

For the proponents, I'd like to hear about LR kills and/or tiny groups at 1000 yd. Less drop. Less drift. How it's doing on the LR competition scene.

For the opponents, I'd like to hear why the 6.5 Creedmoor offers no advantage over the present pack of cartridges.

For those on the fence, is there anything that might convince you, one way or the other?

In the meantime, let's listen to Steve Lee. I vote for the cartridge that Greg (Hickok45) uses at the end of this video to dispatch the zombie.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell

Um, no, it didn't. If it was a clear winner, the thread wouldn't have gone on as long as it did. The Creedmoor is just the current fan fave in a long list of faves, dating back to the 1800s. It will be replaced by the next "best thing".
---

I have enjoyed the thread so far. Neither side has convinced me of its value or lack of same.

For the proponents, I'd like to hear about LR kills and/or tiny groups at 1000 yd. Less drop. Less drift. How it's doing on the LR competition scene.

For the opponents, I'd like to hear why the 6.5 Creedmoor offers no advantage over the present pack of cartridges.

For those on the fence, is there anything that might convince you, one way or the other?

Do you really make a living in this business?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No current commercially developed round with a .264 diameter barrel is going to achieve the success and broad availability of the Creedmoor any time soon.

And I was a 260 guy long before the Creed was concieved. Why hate? Get one of each. 🍺

"Your range of experience runs that gamut from A to B, plus you're a nitwit. That's a hard combination to overcome, though some people try." - JB
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by JGRaider

---

If you are referring to selling articles or books, no I don't. I have rarely written for outdoor magazines. I was a military armourer and teacher for 36 years, before retiring. I have written many papers and presentations for government. I have written several books about rifles and cartridges. None of my professional experiences or credentials has anything to do with what I posted. I asked that both sides present something of value.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by JGRaider

---

If you are referring to selling articles or books, no I don't. I have rarely written for outdoor magazines. I was a military armourer and teacher for 36 years, before retiring. I have written many papers and presentations for government. I have written several books about rifles and cartridges. None of my professional experiences or credentials has anything to do with what I posted. I asked that both sides present something of value.

No current commercially developed round with a .264 diameter barrel is going to achieve the success and broad availability of the Creedmoor any time soon.

And I was a 260 guy long before the Creed was concieved. Why hate? Get one of each. 🍺

Why do you say that? It's opinion. Do you have anything to back up your assertions? Being a 260 guy before the Creedmoor was conceived doesn't mean anything. It is extraneous to the discussion. Don't think I'm being mean spirited. Many people have posted on this thread, but I haven't seen much to back up the various claims of it being great or a waste. I am asking to be convinced.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Steve,

I doubt anybody's had enough time to actually shoot targets or big game with the 6.5 Creedmoor. According to hundreds of reports on the Internet, it only appeared a few months ago.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Steve,

I doubt anybody's had enough time to actually shoot targets or big game with the 6.5 Creedmoor. According to hundreds of reports on the Internet, it only appeared a few months ago.

Go eat a Snickers John..... I’ve never seen you so grumpy.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Steve,

I'm surprised at you, John. I am trying to stay neutral on this. I haven't fired one. I've only picked one up at a gun shop. I asked to be convinced. That means pointing me (and others) in the direction of valid sources of information. Do I need to say that the Internet doesn't always provide correct information?

I still remain neutral.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Page 17 of 24 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 23 24

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

190 members (12344mag, 06hunter59, 338rcm, 2UP, 10Glocks, 17 invisible), 2,032 guests, and 859 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,760
Posts18,514,984
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.