Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by 1minute
Given the universal consensus here, I've routed a couple images to local bios and some university types. Locals are leaning toward the Dusky version of the Blue, and the university types have not responded yet.

[Linked Image]

Will pass along their thoughts when they reply. Not much of an upland bird hunter, but glad we simply have a grouse season. If I had to differentiate on the wing, I'd never get a shot off.

Have a good one, and I appreciate the contributions.

Well, yah this picture is definitely a blue. LOL

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Spruce....shoot and eat...

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Just forwarded the pic and coordinates to a near neighbor of mine, a professor who specializes in, of all things, grouse. He wrote back the following, "It''s a dusky.. I think."
So there.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cookie captured this yesterday, and would appreciate a definitive ID. We speculate an immature female Spruce Grouse, but their presence/distribution is somewhat questionable for Oregon. Approximate location was 44.066796º -118.703389º in a Doug fir/Grand fir/Lodge Pole pine riparian zone.

[Linked Image]

Much appreciated, as she does not want to save images if she can't offer up a proper ID.

Have a good one,
Before they changed what we can shoot as a Blue in Oregon. I would have been plucking that blue for camp dinner. Now I have to pack a Grouse Biologist on my back and half the time he has no definitive answer.

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Hen pheasant.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by haverluk
Looks like a ptarmigan to me:

White-Tailed Ptarmigan were introduced into the Wallowa Mountains. Probably a carryover from one of those.

Wiki Link

Whitetailec ptarmigan have uh, uh, uh, white tails?

It is a hen spruce grouse...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by haverluk
Looks like a ptarmigan to me:

White-Tailed Ptarmigan were introduced into the Wallowa Mountains. Probably a carryover from one of those.

Wiki Link

Whitetailec ptarmigan have uh, uh, uh, white tails?

It is a hen spruce grouse...
Originally Posted by BKinSD
Can you tell us how big it is?

It's not a sharptail and I don't think its a sage grouse either. The tail is wrong for both species. The description of your location seems to rule both out as well.

Geographic taxonomy only goes so far...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Cookie captured this yesterday, and would appreciate a definitive ID. We speculate an immature female Spruce Grouse, but their presence/distribution is somewhat questionable for Oregon. Approximate location was 44.066796º -118.703389º in a Doug fir/Grand fir/Lodge Pole pine riparian zone.

[Linked Image]

Much appreciated, as she does not want to save images if she can't offer up a proper ID.

Have a good one,

Late to this, but it's a blue grouse (Dusky variety) hen. I've eaten a lot of them.

The feet are very wrong for a dusky.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
1minute;
Good evening to you sir, I hope this finds you well.

Though I don't always comment on them, there's never a time that I catch your wife's crisp and vivid wildlife photos and don't enjoy them immensely.

We're on the border more or less of the dusky/sooty line they drew down the middle of BC, so honestly I'd not venture to guess whether it's either. At our house anyway we tend toward the old taxonomy and call them Blues.

That's a hen Blue in your photo in my opinion.

I couldn't say that I've killed hundreds like some here, but over the years our crew must have enjoyed several dozens for sure.

We don't shoot them much anymore as they've been scarce the last few years. We do herd them off the road from time to time, however....

Thanks again for sharing the photos with us, all the best to you all this fall and good luck on your hunts too.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Show me picture of a blue/sooty/dusky with feathered tarsi...

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Dwayne, all I can say is those ARE NOT sharptails.....grin

Great vid.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Sure does share characteristics with spruce hen

[Linked Image]

And this one
[Linked Image]

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 09/24/18.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sam;
Good evening to you my cyber friend, I hope the day treated you all well.

As you can hear me say, they were in front of us - we're in an '03 Dodge in low range, first gear and riding the brakes - for 3 minutes.

Then I remembered that my daughter could take video on her phone and I says - hey, why don't you try to get some video of these guys. So she did.

Thanks for the comment on the reminder of a grand day afield together Sam, all the best to you all this fall and good luck on your hunts.

Dwayne

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

[Linked Image]

Having shot a bunch in the last few weeks, including a whole one I am getting ready to skin right now... and seeing the tail, the tarsi, and the head, I can assure you it is a spruce grouse hen a fair piece from home.

Locally we are seeing ruffled grouse in large numbers in areas we have never seen them before.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
looks like a bird.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

[Linked Image]

MtnBoomer;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the day was a good one for you and this finds you well.

The Spruce chickens in our part of the world are a tad towards the brown tones - like the photo you put up.

Here's a hen with late, late chicks.
[Linked Image]

I must add the photo of one chick - our youngest daughter was taking the photos that day.

What you can't see is that her hunting boot toe is just out of the photo.

[Linked Image]

We were slowly following the hen and chicks when my daughter froze and pointed her camera at the ground directly in front of her.

Anyway it was another grand day afield with one of our daughters - different one than the videographer by the way.

I'm not sure about the feathers on the feet - it could be that 1minutes is a Spruce hen, but up here she'd be awfully grey to be one is all.

All the best to you all this fall MtnBoomer and good luck on your hunts too.

Dwayne

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Dwayne, I could hear the ol' Cummins purring in the background!

All good here, feels like fall.......

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I'd say it fits as a spruce hen, top to bottom without having to be an oddity (peculiar individual) of a dusky or other.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Even a bat could see these aren’t the same bird...

Cookie captured this yesterday, and would appreciate a definitive ID. We speculate an immature female Spruce Grouse

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Dwayne, I could hear the ol' Cummins purring in the background!

All good here, feels like fall.......

Sam;
Thanks for the update - that's good to hear.

Funny how some folks can tell the sound of which diesel it is and others much less so.

I heard a pickup pull in to work the other day and I said, that's not our Ford - '09 6.2 dual turbo engine - I said, it's a GM/Duramax.

Guy I work with raises his eyebrows and asks how I know that?

I replied, "Cause that's what it is...."

Know what I mean Sam? wink

I know you know....

Dwayne

PS;
Sorry for the diversion to all, back to the gallinaceous taxonomy debate!

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (160user, 10ring1, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 1911a1, 69 invisible), 14,746 guests, and 1,050 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,073
Posts18,541,367
Members74,057
Most Online21,066
07:15 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.