Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
My recent trip to Alaska exposed me once again to the array of communication devices beyond cell phones. As always, there are pros and cons for everything (text vs. verbal) but I want to get the opinion of others.
Primarily I saw: In Reach Explorers and SE models in use plus Iridium Sat. phones. So what are your thoughts?

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like my first generation InReach. Uses the Irridium satellite network. Allows me to send and recieve messages. Helps with my wife's piece of mind. Doubt I'll never not have one.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I use the garmin Inreach and it works awesome. The maps are pretty easy to read when paired with my iPhone. Easy to text to anyone in my contact list on my phone as well. I agree with Pointer, I'll probably never not have one. It replaced my garmin Rhino. Additionally I use OnX maps on my phone to delineate private/public property boundaries and I'm all set.

I would consider the in reach mini too if you don't already have a device.

B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Ok thanks for those comments

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Do you have to pair with a cell phone with the inreach? Or are they a stand alone text machine?

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 09/14/18.
IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Definitely works stand alone. The key pad is just terrible slow. Think texting in a flip phone. But it pairs easily through Bluetooth to a smartphone if you have one. Then through the inreach app it works just like you are texting on your phone.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pointer
I like my first generation InReach. Uses the Irridium satellite network. Allows me to send and recieve messages. Helps with my wife's piece of mind. Doubt I'll never not have one.

Why would you want her to be able to give you a piece of her mind while you're out having fun? grin

inReach good.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by aheider
Definitely works stand alone. The key pad is just terrible slow. Think texting in a flip phone. But it pairs easily through Bluetooth to a smartphone if you have one. Then through the inreach app it works just like you are texting on your phone.

Man I used to be hell on wheels with a razor flip phone...I'm sold now.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A lot of the trollers up here use Inreach to swap info on where the fish are. Keeps the info from being broadcast over the radio.

B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Garmin has two models, the Explorer and the SE. The Explorer also has GPS capability whereas the SE does not. Any thoughts on that difference?

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
SE has gps grid navigation and allows you to mark waypoints. I’ve never found it lacking or wished I had more capability in the field. But maybe I’m missing something.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I got an inReach mini this year. Tried to rent a sat phone, but there were none available, and so went that route at the last minute. Random thoughts:

It works really well. Takes a few messages to get used to.

Battery lasts supposedly 50 hours of standby, which seems accurate. Easily made it 2 weeks of use, but I don't leave it on all the time.

Garmin's app developers need to step their game up a bit. There are a few things that are just annoying.

You can't message another inreach with just the number. You need to have their garmin account (email). That would be a nice thing for them to advertise a little more so you don't find out when you are in the middle of nowhere....

They are not cheap. $350 for the unit, $25 for the privilege of not having an annual account, and then 30-something for the service per month (there are cheaper options).

Combining with a GPS would make some sense.... my phone GPS kind of blows. But I already had a gps that I like, so wasn't really interested.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
After Garmin bought out DeLorme, they jumped the price of an Inreach SE by $100. I was able to find one of the remaining DeLormes.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by pointer

Why would you want her to be able to give you a piece of her mind while you're out having fun? grin

inReach good.
LOL! Guess I'm just used to being told what to do and when... wink

Yes, InReach is good. If/when they upgrade the background mapping feature of the InReach I may spring for a new one. Until then, I just pack it and the PN-60/

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I hunt & pack solo a lot so I have an inReach. I use the preset messages "I'm going to be late", "back at camp for the night", "I'm just headed down off the mountain". I flip on the tracking so my wife, brother and a couple buddies can see where I'm at.

What would Porter Rockwell do?
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
How do the inreach's maps compare to a dedicated GPS? Seems like aheider and cwh2 had different takes.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by cwh2

Combining with a GPS would make some sense.... my phone GPS kind of blows. But I already had a gps that I like, so wasn't really interested.

Have you tried Gaia gps app on your phone?

I’m a fan of the Inreach but I don’t rely on their maps. Gaia is superior. Always trying to reduce weight so anymore all I take is my iPhone, inreach, light battery, and backup map/compass. 13 oz for that combo with the mini.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Frankly, from the perspective of someone who is comfortable in the woods, someone who has been lost plenty but never uncomfortably so, the price of these devices / services far outruns their value. The only thing they do in my world is "enable"/placate the hand-wringing worry-warts in my life who are exactly the misery I'm trying to get away from by going to the woods. Putting an electronic leash on myself devaluing my time alone for their comfort? Screw that garbage. Repeat: screw that garbage.

I don't know if that's the sort of "thoughts" bigwhoop was after or if he wants product comparison, but worded as the question was .. yep, those are my thoughts.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a MοΏ½bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
While I appreciate the point T O M is making, I value those in my life and would like an opportunity to communicate my situation. I am willing to have an "electronic leash" to keep them updated. I don't consider it a hindrance to my experience.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Last weekend I took a troop of scouts on a llama pack trip to some lakes 6 miles back. My InReach went along and we had a short training session on how to use it if necessary. It's a great assurance having a way to get help in a hurry if something happens to one of the boys.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (06hunter59, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 56 invisible), 1,874 guests, and 1,050 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,879
Posts18,497,751
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.