-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Somehow, some bullets, notably the Partitions, manage to blow the bejabbers out of a critter's innards, but still usually manage to poke an exit hole, which is preferable to me because it tends to leave more sign on the ground, especially at the place where said critter was standing at the shot or rather just behind. It can take a few seconds for blood to leak out, especially if the hit is at or above the curve of the body, so a little evidence at the scene of the crime is very helpful.

"Energy" is a poor measure of killing power, though a popular one. What matters is tissue destruction, and the two may not be proportional.

What fresh Hell is this?
GB1

W
WAM Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
In my experience with Barnes TTSX, the evidence at “the scene of the crime” (ie point of impact) has been a dead critter, or within a few steps. All exits not recovered to muse over performance. Most bullets that expand and still penetrate have some form of controlled expansion and not flattening into a blob that slows the bullet down through tissue. Massive internal tissue damage and two holes to let blood out and air in to collapse lungs usually results in a very quick expiration. Just my experience, yours may vary. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by chamois
The laws of physics they are not, so I wonder what is the magic involved with a bullet causing less tissue damage and killing faster.

Blind faith bordering religious credence. That is.

I find it funny.

This.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Everything I’ve seen shot with a Barnes.... including the TSX, TTSX, and LRX... has gone down within 25 yards or so. That includes: Mule Deer, Whitetail Deer, Blacktail Deer, black bears, Elk, Antelope, coyotes, and a few unfortunate badgers.... from powder-burn range to about 500 yards. Every single one exited, and I only recall shooting one deer twice.... but only because it was still standing after I reloaded. High velocity exit wounds are very devastating!

On the Sierra GC.... I was impressed with the performance on the one antelope buck I shot with a 90 grainer via .243. It exited, and the buck went down after about 2 steps. They have a way better BC than the Accubond, and seem similar in performance.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
The TTSX is not particularly popular with deer hunters in my neck of the woods although those that do use them just about always go a step down in weight from the usual; i.e. 130gr in .308. A friend used a 180gr TTSX in his .338 Federal to take a massive 16 point red stag at 80 yards. It was running directly away from him and he deliberately aimed and succeeded in hitting the beast in the back of the head. The TTSX bullet ended up lying on the ground about a foot in front of the dead stag's nose. The stag weighed just over 400lbs gutted with it's head and legs off at the hocks.

"The 257 Roberts, some people like to call it the “.257 Bob.” I think these people should be hung in trees where crows can peck at them." - David Petzal
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Ah yes, the "magic bullet" only found one so far, a Norma 232 Oryx out of a 9.3X62. About 12 WT and Mule deer, none went beyond 10 feet. I have some Sierra Gamechangers in 270 and 7mm, but haven't shot anything with them yet. Accuracy is looking good however. Accubonds have been a favorite in the 6.5's. Barnes are good, but often don't shoot as accurate as other bullets in my rifles.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

122 members (300_savage, 41rem, 808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 15 invisible), 1,838 guests, and 978 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,711
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.