Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by Mike74
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by JMR40
I don't know which charts you were looking at but a 180 beats all 165/168's at all ranges.

And as range increases the gap widens. I've used more 165's than anything else over the years and have no doubt they work. Mine shoots 180's well, but 165's exceptionally well. .

? ? ? OK this makes me scratch my head. I USED to compare 150s, 165s, & 180s and I don’t remember that conclusion. ?
I’ll refresh my trajectories tomorrow night. Will be gone a lot tomorrow.

Curious.

Jerry
It ain't just you Jerry. Everytime he posts I scratch my head.
Me too, and he's supposed to be a retired teacher. WTF ?

Well then I'm sure he has his area of expertise but it sure ain't the 30-30, 45-70, or 30-06. But that doesn't stop him.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What I like is that this is a 13 year old that has chosen of all things, a .30-06. He must not succumb to peer pressure or he would have a 6.5 CM. Anyway it is hard to go wrong with a .30-06 and the handloading has already been figured out. Just be careful about max loads. I have two .30-06s that don't like stiff loads at all. One takes only 49 grains of IMR4064 with a 150 or 155 grain bullet and the other only wants 56 grains of IMR 4350. I was using 150 SST and 155 Scenar on deer but with our influx of some very large Russian cross hogs I started having a few take a pretty long hike after being shot and not leaving any blood to follow. Switched to 180 round nose Speer Hot-cor and they go down quicker and bleed pretty freely. As I type this I'm doing brass prep on about 200 .30-06 cases.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by roninflag
Originally Posted by shrapnel

I know of over 40 elk that won’t argue of the lethality of 165 grain Hornady Spire point bullet out of a 30-96...
I like that.

I'll add a couple to that...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ChaseA1
I looked at a energy chart for a 30-06 from Remington.
The 150 grain sp and all the way up to 220 grain bullets are great but the 165 grain sp had more energy at every yardage and quite a bit more! I was BLOWN away!!!!!!
I know if you were shooting through thick cover you want AT LEAST 180 grain.
The FPS second was normal for a 165 so I guess the 165 bullet is the perfect hunting bullet for the 30-06 in the field and mabye in light brush?
What is your thoughts. I’m only 13 so I don’t much but more than most 13 year olds. lol

You are wise beyond your years. It was written that the 165gr bullet was made for the 30-06. That bullet weight offers the best ballistics for the old war horse. For many years, that's all I used and it worked as advertised. However, oddly enough, I've since made a switch to the 200gr nosler partition and have had excellent results on critters, near and far. I'll be using that combo tomorrow, as a matter of fact.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hastings
What I like is that this is a 13 year old that has chosen of all things, a .30-06. He must not succumb to peer pressure or he would have a 6.5 CM. Anyway it is hard to go wrong with a .30-06 and the handloading has already been figured out. Just be careful about max loads. I have two .30-06s that don't like stiff loads at all. One takes only 49 grains of IMR4064 with a 150 or 155 grain bullet and the other only wants 56 grains of IMR 4350. I was using 150 SST and 155 Scenar on deer but with our influx of some very large Russian cross hogs I started having a few take a pretty long hike after being shot and not leaving any blood to follow. Switched to 180 round nose Speer Hot-cor and they go down quicker and bleed pretty freely. As I type this I'm doing brass prep on about 200 .30-06 cases.

My dad started me on a 30-06 at age 13. It worked out but I wish he would've started me on something milder like perhaps a 6mm. But Dad often said the 270 Winchester was nothing more than a groundhog cartridge so with that in mind I had no hope getting a 243 put in my hands.

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
The great thing about the 30-06 is it’s versatility. For deer a young hunter who reloads could shoot the Hornady 150 grain spire point at 2700 FPS (basically a .300 Savage loading) and kill every deer that walks at sane ranges. Then load up hotter and heavier as you become accustomed to the recoil and the critters get bigger.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Mike_S
The great thing about the 30-06 is it’s versatility. For deer a young hunter who reloads could shoot the Hornady 150 grain spire point at 2700 FPS (basically a .300 Savage loading) and kill every deer that walks at sane ranges. Then load up hotter and heavier as you become accustomed to the recoil and the critters get bigger.

Ive been using exactly that combo, and have taken Fallow, Axis,pigs and Aoudad with it...critters up to 300 pounds...no problemo! And pleasant to shoot!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by Mike_S

Ive been using exactly that combo, and have taken Fallow, Axis,pigs and Aoudad with it...critters up to 300 pounds...no problemo! And pleasant to shoot!

A 30/06 was my only rifle for years. Even then I couldn't help but think that I didn't need that much for deer. Early ballistic tip bombs didn't help much. So I did exactly what you gents did.

When I started to get a little extra money I replaced it with a lighter 300 Savage. Unless I was around big bears or moose hunting, I'm not likely to us one.

I don't think I have fired one in anger since 2003.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
270 a ground hog ctg.

I think that’s hilarious. Your Dad was no doubt from the old school. Same thinking that resulted in the ‘06 being our military round.

With the bullet technology in those days, guess I can understand their logic.

Still get a chuckle out of that statement. Probably wasn’t much wiggle room for negotiations.

Those were the days.

DF

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
270 a ground hog ctg.

I think that’s hilarious. Your Dad was no doubt from the old school. Same thinking that resulted in the ‘06 being our military round.

DF

Yeah, even E K gave it credit for 'coyotes'. L O L

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B3

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
The .270 is hardly a varmint cartridge.

This is a varmint cartridge/rifle.
[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
270 a ground hog ctg.

With the bullet technology in those days, guess I can understand their logic.

Still get a chuckle out of that statement. Probably wasn’t much wiggle room for negotiations.

Those were the days.

DF

The part I could never wrap my head around was that he believed the 270 was a groundhog gun but he believed the 30-06 was good for all North America. He wasn't ballistically savvy.
One time he shot a nice buck at 90 yards in the neck because that was the only shot he had. He then proclaimed "there's no other cartridge I would've wanted for that shot than the 30-06". I just looked at him blankly.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

This is a varmint cartridge/rifle.
[Linked Image]

A 223 Wby Mag ? whistle

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Close,it's a bigboomerforsmallcritters.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I've always thought the 165 was the perfect bullet weight for the 30-06. That said, I was raised in a part of the country that didn't really have bears or elk, till a few short years back. I'd not be afraid to shoot either of those species with a 165 grain Partition, but of course the 180 would hedge the bet. Regardless, if I owned a rifle chambered for the 30-06, and it was the only big game rifle I owned, I would probably shoot 165 grain Ballistic Tips for everything but bear and elk.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
For those two, I'd load partitions.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Elk, share with us your special wabbit load for that thing... wink

Sounds like you're doing better.

Looks like Nurse Judy got you confined to the computer, no tractors, etc.

Ya BETTER do what she sez... shocked

DF

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E

Elk, share with us your special wabbit load for that thing... wink

Sounds like you're doing better.

Looks like Nurse Judy got you confined to the computer, no tractors, etc.

Ya BETTER do what she sez... shocked

DF

The load I used for that bunny is: 400 grain Speer,101.grains IMR 4064,CCI 250 Mag primer. The average velocity is 2500 fps.

I have good and bad days.

No driving for 6 months,no hunting/shooting for at least a year. So I read books,do my exercises,ride around with my son on the farm and be a genuine PITA to everyone. smile

I do what she says.... on occasion.

Tuesday I got yelled at by my dad for having a shovel in my hand to help him out.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
You better listen, could get another knot on yo head. That one would be yo fault...

DF

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
I don't need another smack on the noggin. So I will listen. smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (35, 41rem, 007FJ, 6mmCreedmoor, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 10 invisible), 1,466 guests, and 878 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,312
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.