-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes. Used to put them out on our country road where the rigs would crush the hulls off. Strictly weekend though, as a school bus was heavy enough to crush the entire package. Between walnuts and tobacco plants we had well dyed hands every fall.

1Minute

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
College wasnt near that much fun for me.

We "chunked" them at each other. Glad now no one got hit inna eyeball.

Ive seen some go blind in one eye now for much less.

Last edited by jaguartx; 10/05/18.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Bout .85cents a board ft last time we had the farm timbered. Daddy wouldn't let them cut the walnut. Said that was not worth it.

The old man like his walnut trees.

I

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by slumlord
If you get about 10 of them in the hull, mash em up in a five gal bucket with about 2 gal of water

Then pour that 'tea' out over the ground- you can pick up enough nightcrawlers to go catfishin

👍👍👍😋😋😋

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B2

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by LJBass
Wait until you find out they pay 15.00 for the hulled weight... probably 50.00 for a pickup load now days. I made a lot of money on them when I was a young kid. Or what seemed like a lot of money at that age. Probably 35.00-40.00 every night after school for a week or 2. Late nineties roughly. Then you get older and learn what work is bucking hay.

I looked into it and you're right. They hull them and pay $15 per hundred pounds for the hulled walnuts.

Oh well. So much for that idea. But I need to get them out of the yard anyway.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Any of you fellas actually harvest and eat the things? I see them all over and wouldn't mind a stash to cook with.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Bristoe
It's a bumper crop for black walnuts around here this year and there's trees all over the place. I've got a big tree right out my front door that's dropping them all over the yard. It was getting hard to walk for them so I spent some time scooping them up this afternoon. They're almost as big as tennis balls. I've got two other trees way out back that's dropping them everywhere also.

I've got 2 big trash cans full of walnuts in the garage now. I don't know how many pounds they represent, but it was all I wanted to drag them in there from the front yard. I'd guess 250 to 300 pounds total. There's about 4X that much left on the ground and more falling every minute.

A place down the road is paying $15 per hundred pounds for them. It's kind of a nuisance, but I've got to get them out of the yard, anyway,....and it takes about 30 minutes to scoop 100 pounds of them with a rake and a snow shovel.

I might have to see how many black walnut trees are accessible to me around here. It wouldn't be much trouble to pocket $30 an hour as long as they're around.

,...ain't like I got a hell of a lot else to do.

B,

You need more squirrels. smile

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
The squirrels are more interested in the hickory nuts. I've got a hickory nut tree in the front yard too.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We used to collect them with a wheelbarrow and dump them in the gravel driveway. Mom and Pop would drive over them on the way to and from work every day.
After a week or so, they were hulled and ready to crack with hammers.

Snacks, baking ingredients, gifts. Those walnuts were spread far and wide from our farm.

IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
The hulls are very thick this year due to all the rain we've had. Will take a big load for little money. But it's still how I bought model cars or put a new tire on my bike when I was a kid. Now, to fat & lazy to pick them up, but there are so many, it's tempting. I have an industrial grade ZTR, so I just let the mower chop them up.

I've eaten them, but they are stronger tasting than English walnuts, &, more work. The shell is thicker. Never had the patience to let them dry. They are better then. Good staples to know about though if you're a prepper or survivalist. Where these fall, hickory nuts won't be far away. More work for less meat, but better flavor.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think Hammond’s pretty much controls the black walnut market. Of the dozens of places to sell around here, Hammond’s is the one contracting. They’re $15/100 weight now, but as the harvest progresses they’ll drop the prices.

In the middle 90s I was a freshman in high school. I picked up two Toyota truckloads of black walnuts with grandpas help. Dad took them to the huller. Made me $200 at $10/100 weight. Then the three of us picked up native pecans. At $1/lb, my third was $100. That $300 paid for my new 700 ADL in .270.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Here you go, Bristle. I love tender sq fried and tough squirrel fried, pressured and gravy or pressure the meat off and use the juice and deboned meat in rice. The best red meat there is on earth.

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/why-i-eat-squirrel-really

Last edited by jaguartx; 10/05/18.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wabigoon
So, the 'fire has gone nuts? laugh But, what else is new, carry on.

Hush.....they quit talking about Kavanaugh for five minutes......leave em be.

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Here you go, Bristle. I love tender sq fried and tough squirrel fried, pressured and gravy or pressure the meat off and use the juice and deboned meat in rice. The best red meat there is on earth.

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/why-i-eat-squirrel-really

I hunted squirrels with a passion when I was a kid,...ate a lot of them too. I've got quite a few big red boomers that inhabit my place. I'd rather watch them running through the trees than eat them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Walnuts are great! A hassle to hull, and crack, and dig the nuts out. A hand crank corn sheller will dehull them.

We have an old John Deere sheller that must be 100 years old and that is exactly what it was used for in my youth. We also did ear corn for the ducks and chickens but it has done more walnuts than corn in the last 50 years.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gunzo
The hulls are very thick this year due to all the rain we've had. Will take a big load for little money. But it's still how I bought model cars or put a new tire on my bike when I was a kid. Now, to fat & lazy to pick them up, but there are so many, it's tempting. I have an industrial grade ZTR, so I just let the mower chop them up.

I've eaten them, but they are stronger tasting than English walnuts, &, more work. The shell is thicker. Never had the patience to let them dry. They are better then. Good staples to know about though if you're a prepper or survivalist. Where these fall, hickory nuts won't be far away. More work for less meat, but better flavor.

Between hickory nuts, walnuts and squirrels a country boy will never go hungry should the worst happen.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The wife's grandfather used to do the gravel driveway thing, then he would crack em in a vise out in his shop.
Then he'd sit with a basket in his lap picking thru them while John Hagee preached on the curtis mathis.

btw, a #5 slim- horseshoe nail is great for picking the meat out

so there ya go 😄

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Need to hit the creekbottom. Need some to make some dye out of. Got some stuff I wanna dye.

kaywoodie,

do you use anything for a mordant when you dye with them?

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Wild persimmons should be about ready, but might need a frost first.

You ever bite into one that wasn't ripe?

Too late for Mulberries now, but they were plump this year.

Good gosh I'm so glad I growed up country.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

524 members (17Fan, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 160user, 12344mag, 1badf350, 66 invisible), 2,368 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,318
Posts18,487,346
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.