Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
All:

There a woman who has a son on our boys football team. Well, sweet little Johnny is going to be a future Heisman trophy winner you see. And he needs to be always starting and get the ball a lot. Her consistent nagging is driving the other parents and the coaches insane.

The boys are 8 and 9 years old. Good grief. Anyone else here have to deal with one of these gems?

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I worked in a middle school for 35 yds, so I’m familiar with the parent.

I also coached several kid’s sports and dealt with all kinds of parents whose kids were going to be the next......

We once played a Canadian team in a tournament, and I was able to talk to their coach. His method of dealing with meddlesome parents was simple. “If they come and yell at me or other kids on the team, they have a decision to make, be quiet or put junior on another team.”

That technique might not work here, but he found it to be very effective.

Bob

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
There is no way I'd do it unless I was allowed to hit parents.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
And, I'll take it.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Been there, done that and had to get out of it before I knocked out a couple parents ..... and their kids....

However, Classified's seems a strange place to have this thread, doesn't it?

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Coach needs to tell do want them to win or lose!

MAGA! This is the way!
K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
Coached kids wrestling for a while. I would tell the mom that right now she is the biggest obstacle to her sons development and that she needs to let her son play properly or not play at all. The bottom line is that your not going to let her interference continue to ruin things for the team. Which presently includes son. Then enforce it. Hard.

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....
RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Sorry for the wrong place to put this fellas. Alzheimer’s kicking in. Can’t delete.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
ah fugg it. good a place as any i suppose.

i never coached my kids sports but sure saw some obnoxious parents. girls soccer and boys basketball being the worst. it was all i could do not to tell some of those parents to shut the fugg up and let the kids play fer chrissakes. i remember when i was a kid, most parents dropped their kid off at practice and games and asked them how they did when they picked them up, now little kaitlens mommy paces up and down the sideline like mike fuggen ditka.

stresses the kids and the coaches and ain't good for anybody.

My diploma is a DD214
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I coached Little League. I had the same problem.

The best sign to put up is "NO PARENTS ALLOWED" That would cure 99% of the problems.

NRA Endowment Member
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have coached for going on ten years, have never had an issue, for this reason. Before initial practice, I set boundary's, I explain in Troy pa division 1 athletes do not exist, if you think they do they need to be recriluited by another team, not welcome on mine.also explain the best kids play, could care how important mom or dad are, then finish initial meeting by telling them that if they allow me to coach, their kids will have more fun then they have ever had, even if they do not hit 600 with a billion home runs. The kids have always loved me and the parents keep theilr mouths shut. Maybe I'm just lucky.

guns to me are like legal crack
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hey Jeff, didn't think you would have that problem up in God's Country! I coached for several seasons and in addition to what 303savage said...we also had a 24 hour rule. Parents were not to have discussions about the game or their kids with me for 24 hours after a game. My other caution is not to be tougher on your own kids than others on team. Trying not to show favoritism, it is easy to go too far the other way....I learned this the hard way. Good luck! Dale

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. Ronald Reagan
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by RAS
All:

There a woman who has a son on our boys football team. Well, sweet little Johnny is going to be a future Heisman trophy winner you see. And he needs to be always starting and get the ball a lot. Her consistent nagging is driving the other parents and the coaches insane.

The boys are 8 and 9 years old. Good grief. Anyone else here have to deal with one of these gems?

I have a fishing buddy who had the same issue with a mom in youth football. He told the mom if she wanted more playing time for her son..."She had to sleep with the coach". That settled it!
om

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I coached my daughter's rec league soccer team from 1st grade through senior year. Coached more than 100 girls maybe 200 or more. In all that time I never had a problem parent. Might have been because I was bigger than all of them except one who was a D1 lineman, but he was a great dad. I had more trouble out of the girls during middle school years. There is a lot going on in their heads during that age and I learned to suffer that. I would have never coached my son in any sport and I didn't force him into anything. I could tell he was cut out for camping, hiking and scaling mountains so BSA it was and he and I will cherish the memories for the rest of our lives.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The past 3 years I've coached Jr High football as a volunteer.. I've been lucky as the head coach catches the majority of the crap. I just get to teach them football...which is what I'm there to do!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lol, I had a similar experience....
Mom came up to me and another coach demanding on why her sons do not play on defense and her son the whole time is saying MOM, MOM, MOM, MOM, and she says what!?!, he tells her "I dont want to play on defense"....
The look on her face was priceless, she laylter confided in me that she felt like a real A-hole....
So I told her, " well you pretty much were"....
Last time I ever had an angry parent....

I used to tell the parents when coaching YAFL, when they are on the field they are ours, after practice they are yours. If we need you, we will call you on the field....other than that stay off the field.... plain and simple, if they want to coach tell them to fill out the forms....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by doctor_Encore
Originally Posted by RAS
All:

I have a fishing buddy who had the same issue with a mom in youth football. He told the mom if she wanted more playing time for her son..."She had to sleep with the coach". That settled it!
om

So how much more play time did the kid get? smile

Jim

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

I've been a head middle school football coach for 17yrs. It gets almost unbelievable at times.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Never coached,but have witnessed many of radicals,The best one was when #2 son was playing modified soccer,one of the visiting teams dad was so bad our coach had to walk across the ifeld and politley ask if all the parents could let their kids play.
Well this didn't work and one dad just kept on yelling at the refs,coaches,players everybody.

Finally jr stops running in the middle of a play turned to his dad and shouted,"dad! just shut up!!!"

Needless to say laughter erupted,and yes he was quiet the rest of the game.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've coached football for the past decade; currently at the high school level.

Most parents think little Johnny will be the next athlete to grace the field at Alabama, but.....we make it known in the initial parent/player/coach meeting that playing time is never discussed. If little Johnny wants more playing time, he addresses the respective coach, however coaches never discuss this subject with parents.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

304 members (22250rem, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 1badf350, 34 invisible), 1,790 guests, and 1,026 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,980
Posts18,499,623
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.