Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
For another baseball player in westerns, look up Kurt Russell’s father Bing Russell. He was in a buttload of TV westerns and movies. Saw him in Cheyenne Autumn last night.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
For another baseball player in westerns, look up Kurt Russell’s father Bing Russell. He was in a buttload of TV westerns and movies. Saw him in Cheyenne Autumn last night.

I knew his dad was a ball player before he went into acting - used to see him in a lot of shows way back when.
Kurt was a very good ballplayer himself - played Triple A ball for a long time, but never quite made the cut for the big leagues.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Yancy Derringer, Broken Arrow, Wyatt Earp, Bronco Lane, Fury, Circus Boy, Bat Masterson, Jim Bowie, Wild Bill Hickok, Sgt Preston of the Yukon, Tales of Wells Fargo, Roy Rodgers.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Never have been a fan of Western's.

IC B2

A
add Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by 65465Mo
Never have been a fan of Western's.

Thank you kindly for the input, Manlicker.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Rifleman was a given, but really enjoyed Have Gun Will Travel (Richard Boone as Paladin) and Bat Masterson (Gene Barry). Both had cool revolvers and holsters. When I was a kid the parents got me a set of Mattel Fanner 50 cap guns. The match duel holster set now sells for around $600. Those were the days and I am truly blessed to have been born in the 50s.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I read that the Rifleman was set in the 1880's. However, the rifle was a Winchester 1892 which wasn't invented yet. It also was a 44-40 cal using smokeless powder which also hadn't been invented yet. Supposedly the rifle had been altered to fire every time he jacked the lever. However, before every fight he'd cock it and it wouldn't fire. Now Hollywood wouldn't have made mistakes like that, would they?

Back in the 50's, my family all watched the westerns night after night. A favorite was Cheyenne. My mother always got a kick out of Walker because in every show he managed to take his shirt off to show off his muscles. I stood near him one time when he was in Nampa, ID performing at a rodeo. He wasn't a midget.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
When I was a kid I was very upset when mom told me Ward Bond died.

He was staying at the Townhouse Motel on Harry Hines Blvd. in Dallas when he suffered a fatal heart attack, about 1961, I think.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I read that the Rifleman was set in the 1880's. However, the rifle was a Winchester 1892 which wasn't invented yet. It also was a 44-40 cal using smokeless powder which also hadn't been invented yet. Supposedly the rifle had been altered to fire every time he jacked the lever. However, before every fight he'd cock it and it wouldn't fire. Now Hollywood wouldn't have made mistakes like that, would they?

Back in the 50's, my family all watched the westerns night after night. A favorite was Cheyenne. My mother always got a kick out of Walker because in every show he managed to take his shirt off to show off his muscles. I stood near him one time when he was in Nampa, ID performing at a rodeo. He wasn't a midget.
It's only recently that Hollywood even attempted to get any accuracy in westerns. One of the worst offenders was John Wayne's The Comancheros, which featured SAA's that began production in 1873 and Winchester 92's that came out in 1892 in a setting ostensibly in the 1830's or 1840's.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I

I remember as a kid seeing him at the Snake River Stampede in Nampa.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gunsmoke, Tales of Wells Fargo, Rawhide.....I like em all. Lawman has the worst actors but I'll set through an episode of it before I'll watch one of today's homo shows....

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'm a fan of Laramie and Maverick

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
[img](null)[/img]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There were so many good ones I can't even begin to remember them. My grandfather lived with us, and he always had to watch Gunsmoke, so I probably saw it more than anything else.

Others I really liked were..................Cheyenne, Paladin, The Lone Ranger, Wagon Train, Maverick, Zorro, Rawhide, Death Valley Days, and Roy Rogers. Sgt. Preston Of The Yukon and Shy King were a couple of other shows that might not qualify as a real western, but I liked them too. I have watched a lot of Bonanza shows over the years, mostly the reruns. It was okay sometimes, but had some really silly and stupid episodes.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
We've recently been watching reruns of the Virginian on Dish. It is amazing all the stars that appeared on that series. Of course it had quite a long run. Only a few of them are still alive. Pretty much all the old western series were good. Although they weren't that concerned with period correct language and firearms they all had a good message. I'm not a big fan of all the gore that is common in current movie productions.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Why is it that those high on the cast live long enough to deliver last words while those lower on the list die instantly? Alan Rickman was always good with last words. His dying expressions said a lot more than his lips

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rainshot
Although they weren't that concerned with period correct language and firearms they all had a good message.

Yeah, I'm somewhat of a stickler for details, and I always hated to see a Western that was supposed to take place in 1868, and everybody was armed with Colt Peacemaker's and Winchester 92's. I suppose the audience they were aimed at was more interested in other things.

But, the good guys always won, and crime didn't pay, so the message was a good one.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Lots of the old ones can be streamed through various services, and pretty cheaply too. Not all of them "travel" well though, as our dramatic standards have changed.

Yancey Derringer was a favorite, and right in the middle of my revisit on Prime, I read that he was a serial molester of his stepdaughter, Sally Fields, until her mother finally divorced the creepy bastard.

One thing I like about the old shows is picking out actors that were just starting out or on their way down after careers in films or radio. A good many like John Dehner and William Conrad did pretty well and even became stars on the new medium.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Love the old Westerns! wish they would come out with some, but they be all jacked up, with the Crap they push down our throats now days!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (10Glocks, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1234, 59 invisible), 2,136 guests, and 1,149 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,663
Posts18,493,660
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.