Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Bwana_1 Online Happy OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
I'm a Lefty and having problems finding what I really want, the options are limited for us on the dark side smile

So: I'd like a quality 7mm-08 action/barrel & quality stock like McMillion/Manners. If I but a donor rifle new(Tikka/Remington/Browning) and a stock...how hard is it to install and seat properly ? I may have to buy a short action, and get another barrel from a separate vendor.

I've never done it before, don't really have gunsmith tools...should I send it off to a smith ?, any suggestions of a timely reasonably priced gun smith ?

I'm trying to stay away from a 4k custom and 6 months wait.

Appreciate all advice.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lots of variables here. The stock supplier will make a difference- some fit better than others. If you go with a factory barreled action you have a better chance of initial fit up than if you go with an aftermarket barrel since the contours will probably be different no matter what the supplier tells you.
If you're talking a fiberglass stock, you can fit one pretty easily with some patience and some very basic tools like sand paper, a couple dowels, possibly some sharp chisels (but I hate to use my chisels on fiberglass stocks), and possibly a Dremel tool with a few grinding, sanding, or cutting bits. Just be sure to order the right stock for the action you are considering.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Bwana_1 Online Happy OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
I'm wondering if a quality youth model set in a full size McMillion/Manners stock makes sense, anyone done that ?

The options for lefty's really suck frown

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Buying a donor barreled action and a McMillan stock is a good plan. Most of the glass stock manufacturers make left handed versions, but the wait may be a killer. If you could settle for wood, the options grow pretty quickly as most of the wood stock suppliers like Boyds offer left handed stocks in several configurations. As long as you order the stock to fit the barreled action you are starting with, the fit should be pretty close and minimal fitting would be required.

Most of the youth models have shorter barrels to balance with the shorter stocks the youth models come with, but not all. If it were me, I would look at the Tikka and Remington offerings and see if you could find one in a left hand in the caliber you are looking for. Once you nail that down, finding a stock isn't really all that hard.

Time to start calling some of the suppliers like Manners and McMillan and see what they can do for you. First hand info is always better than internet guessing....

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Bwana_1 Online Happy OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Bob,
I appreciate all of your advice, and now have a game plan. I was contacted by a Gunsmith here, and that makes my choices much easier. I'm going to order a new Tikka in 7-08, and then start on the stock order,,,,some appear to take 6-7 months to get made. I'm going to send it to a pro, and let him do the work for me, I'll shoot the Tikka as stock till the new stock comes in.

Now for stock education for a lefty smile

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Tikka stock isn't junk.
Pull the recoil pad, stuff the button with Walmart bags to soften the noise.
You can buy a Limbsaver screw on recoil pad if you need.

My only complaint for the Tikka plastic stock is its sloppy where I carry mine.
I think the T3x addressed that.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Bwana_1 Online Happy OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
The Tikka stock isn't junk.
Pull the recoil pad, stuff the button with Walmart bags to soften the noise.
You can buy a Limbsaver screw on recoil pad if you need.

My only complaint for the Tikka plastic stock is its sloppy where I carry mine.
I think the T3x addressed that.

I was considering buying the wood stock, then putting a McMillian/Manners on it...then sell the wood

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Lots of options here: https://www.stockysstocks.com/catalogsearch/result/?cat=0&q=tikka+stocks Didn't screen for Lefties but they should have some.

I didn't realize they have a house brand now might be worth checking out. Also always ask your Smith their knowledge and preferences are always good to consider.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

671 members (16penny, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 80 invisible), 2,937 guests, and 1,374 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,478
Posts18,471,737
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.