-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
GREAT theme songs and music. Made me hate 70's crap shows and their crappier themes even worse.

Compare High Chapparel or Big Valley opening to.....Three's company or Different Strokes. blush

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
I never could figure out Roy Rogers. I mean, it was a Western and Roy and everybody carried six shooters in buscadero holsters and rode horses and caught cattle rustlers and everything, then along comes Pat Brady in his jeep Nellie Belle. As a 7 year old kid I kept thinking “wtf?”, or would have if I knew that last word.

Took me years to decipher what was going on.

That show sure made me want a WW2 jeep.

Retired cat herder.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Gunsmoke, Tales of Wells Fargo, Rawhide.....I like em all. Lawman has the worst actors but I'll set through an episode of it before I'll watch one of today's homo shows....

Yeah but...Lawman had John Russell.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rainshot
All the country and western singers of the 40's-70's wore glitter suits. It was just a fad I suppose. Roy and Dale Evans were truly great for kids. They always had a good moral code of ethics. I'd rather have a kid watching them than some of the tripe that's passed off as entertainment today.
The Rogers were solid Christians and they gave a bunch of their money to help disadvantaged kids besides adopting 4 of them. He'd been married twice before. His 2d wife died a few days after the birth of their son Roy Jr. He married Dale a year or so later and they were together for about 50 years.
I read somewhere that he was worth over $100 mill when he died. They were all around good people.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER
Gunsmoke, Tales of Wells Fargo, Rawhide.....I like em all. Lawman has the worst actors but I'll set through an episode of it before I'll watch one of today's homo shows....

John did really well in Pale Rider.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER

John did really well in Pale Rider.

But he died anyways.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Lots of good ones, but I think the original thirty-minute Gunsmoke episodes were a bit better than all the rest of the TV westerns, including the one-hour Gunsmokes.The half-hour Gunsmokes had considerably more violence per minute than the more civilized, toned-down episodes of the '60s and '70s.

In later years, I suppose they were in search of good material that couldn't be found which accounts for the incredibly dull character of Thad and truly goofy segments with Festus' half-wit relatives.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by lotech
Lots of good ones, but I think the original thirty-minute Gunsmoke episodes were a bit better than all the rest of the TV westerns, including the one-hour Gunsmokes.The half-hour Gunsmokes had considerably more violence per minute than the more civilized, toned-down episodes of the '60s and '70s.

In later years, I suppose they were in search of good material that couldn't be found which accounts for the incredibly dull character of Thad and truly goofy segments with Festus' half-wit relatives.

I'll tell you a little story about that. I wrote several Gunsmoke scripts in the early 1970s. On one -- I think it might have been my second or third script -- I'd already done the story outline and the first draft teleplay and the production office at CBS had given me the "go ahead" to do the final draft teleplay.

They called me in to the Gunsmoke office on the CBS Studio City lot to get a couple of notes to add to the final draft. I was sitting in John Mantley's office. Mantley was Executive Producer of the show. He said, "Leanwolf, there's a problem with your script."

I said, "Oh, what's the problem?"

He said, "We got a directive down from CBS Standards and Practices that we are having far too many killings on Gunsmoke. In your script, you've killed seven people. That's too many."

I said, "Well how many can I kill?"

Mantley said, "Three."

I said, "Okay, I'll resurrect four of them and just wound them."

He said, "That'll work."

So that's what I did when I revised the final draft teleplay.

The reason for "less violence" on Gunsmoke was the fault of the wooses at CBS Standards and Practices, not the producers.

BTW, I never wrote for Festus' goofy relatives, nor Thad. wink

FWIW.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
LW,

CBS was already turnin' PC back then!

smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was always fan of Richard Boone and I supposed "Have gun will travel" was one of the great shows but I've only seen it in reruns.
It was on on Saturday nights, and Saturday nights in that period I was never home.

Saturdays were date, tail chasing, hell raising nights.

IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
It was said that Loony Tunes was the most violent show on TV.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KFWA
The movie cowboys - I'm partial to Gary Cooper, will pretty much watch anything he is in, and of course Jimmy Stewart. I like the John Ford/John Wayne movies and it took awhile for me to come around to Randolph Scott - his acting is pretty stiff but he made a bunch of good Saturday Matinee movies.

I'm not as much of a fan of late 60's/70's westerns - while the Sergio Leone spaghetti westerns are great (Once Upon a Time in the West), all the others just took on that Wild Bunch feel.

I have never watched a bad Gary Cooper movie. He was a Western actor supreme, and just as good in other things as well. I'm a John Wayne fan, but Cooper was every bit as good. Jimmy Stewart was without a doubt a tremendous actor, but he just didn't have the appeal for me that Wayne and Cooper had. I also like the old Errol Flynn westerns, as well as his other films. Same way with Randolph Scott, he was better than 99% of todays actors.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
LW,

CBS was already turnin' PC back then!

smile

My scripts weren't. grin

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
The Coop Absolutely rocked!!!!

Hey Ranger Green? How ‘bout a little rub of the brush????

🤣

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gunsmoke, Cheyenne, Laramie, Have Gun Will Travel, Rawhide, The High Chaparral , Bonanza, The Rifleman... Heck I like em all. smile

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I started this on TV westerns, but.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
hillbillybear,

You didn't mention: WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE or THE REBEL.

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, Lt.Col., comdt.
Fortress of The Alamo, Bejar
F'by 24, 1836
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I used to watch "The Rebel" and it was a pretty good show, but on the lower rung of good westerns; probably because of Nick Adams.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gunsmoke and The Rifleman were my favorites.

No one mentioned "The Guns of Will Sonnett", I used to watch it as a kid. It was o.k.

"Kung Fu" was a pretty good "western" too.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
Originally Posted by lotech

I'll tell you a little story about that. I wrote several Gunsmoke scripts in the early 1970s. On one -- I think it might have been my second or third script -- I'd already done the story outline and the first draft teleplay and the production office at CBS had given me the "go ahead" to do the final draft teleplay.

They called me in to the Gunsmoke office on the CBS Studio City lot to get a couple of notes to add to the final draft. I was sitting in John Mantley's office. Mantley was Executive Producer of the show. He said, "Leanwolf, there's a problem with your script."

I said, "Oh, what's the problem?"

He said, "We got a directive down from CBS Standards and Practices that we are having far too many killings on Gunsmoke. In your script, you've killed seven people. That's too many."

I said, "Well how many can I kill?"

Mantley said, "Three."

I said, "Okay, I'll resurrect four of them and just wound them."

He said, "That'll work."

So that's what I did when I revised the final draft teleplay.

The reason for "less violence" on Gunsmoke was the fault of the wooses at CBS Standards and Practices, not the producers.

BTW, I never wrote for Festus' goofy relatives, nor Thad. wink

FWIW.

L.W.

That's just too damn cool.

This isn't 'Nam Donny, there are RULES...
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

689 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 163bc, 10ring1, 75 invisible), 3,001 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,735
Posts18,494,907
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.