Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Dinny
David P. visited us after our medical PSG lost his leg and was evac'd. Apparently we were the most highly decorated medical platoon in the entire division at the time. 4x BSMs, 1x BSM w/ V device, 1x SS, 2x ARCOMs w/ V device, 6x PH. My PH paperwork got lost before it was presented (never presented) and I've spent the last 15 years trying to locate it. Finally, earlier this year, I resubmitted all the necessary paperwork and it was disapproved due to my injury not being severe enough.

Very unfortunate situation for the Stryker troops. It was hard enough for a brigade to replace a division. We thought we had it bad...

Thanks, Dinny

I never understood the intent of the Stryker brigades concept of security at road intersections with vehicles and operating outta the airfield and not having a 24/7 presence in the population.
Beginning of the Rumsfeld plan to not live in the population and hunker up on FOB,s I geuss.

Their security left a lot to be desired. Especially when they had a walking suicide bomber get thru at least 3 checkpoints and blow himself in the main chowhall at the airfield.
Our company kept Govener Al Basso Alive for 6 months after he got elected.
That was always a rotating mission for our 3 platoons as his security detachment at city hall.
Couldn't trust the IA,s or Police.....
3 weeks after we left , he got assianated. No one inside the building on his detail .
Stryker vehicles fully manned watching roads outside with their TV camera wpns.
They relied to much on that system.
But it was how they was trained, many of the guys I talked too in the Stryker brigade
Hated their forced dependance from above on electronic,s.
I felt bad for em knowing they was gonna be high payoff targets and not having a presence on the ground 24/7.
Too much chyt happens and gets done when ya dont own your territory.

We went thru the security plan and mission on the ground perimeter and inside building SOP with the Stryker guys for 2 weeks.

Their chain of command blew it off after we left.

You can only do so much....

Last edited by renegade50; 10/10/18.
GB1

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
First joined Nov 22. Went to MP school as an E-nothing. Spent 13 years in the Mississippi Army National Guard in various roles making it to E-6. Went inactive while working on my Master's. Was subsequently discharged without my knowledge. Got direct commissioned into the Air Force Reserve in 2001 because the Guard didn't know how to get me back in (no [bleep]- that's what they told me). Since I was an Army guy I HATED the Air Force. Transferred to the Tennessee National Guard when I moved in 2002. In 2008 I there was a perfect storm of events occurring causing to me to decide to resign my commission. Basically 1- I was not going to give up a job making 3 times the national average for my career field, and 2- I didn't want to serve under Obama Bin Ladin. Speed forward about 8 years. 45 is in office and it's time to get back in. After recruiters jacking around for 2 years I was finally able to get back into the National Guard over the last 2 months. They felt a little pity on me so they gave me O-4. Gonna ride it another 10 years since I just hit 50. Should be able to make O-6 if I play my cards right.

At one with the gun.

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Some active duty, some reserve.

Retired cat herder.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
12 years Nuc Navy, submarine qualified.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by renegade50
David P. visited us after our medical PSG lost his leg and was evac'd. Apparently we were the most highly decorated medical platoon in the entire division at the time. 4x BSMs, 1x BSM w/ V device, 1x SS, 2x ARCOMs w/ V device, 6x PH. My PH paperwork got lost before it was presented (never presented) and I've spent the last 15 years trying to locate it. Finally, earlier this year, I resubmitted all the necessary paperwork and it was disapproved due to my injury not being severe enough.

Very unfortunate situation for the Stryker troops. It was hard enough for a brigade to replace a division. We thought we had it bad...

Thanks, Dinny

I never understood the intent of the Stryker brigades concept of security at road intersections with vehicles and operating outta the airfield and not having a 24/7 presence in the population.
Beginning of the Rumsfeld plan to not live in the population and hunker up on FOB,s I geuss.

Their security left a lot to be desired. Especially when they had a walking suicide bomber get thru at least 3 checkpoints and blow himself in the main chowhall at the airfield.
That was always a rotating mission for our 3 platoons as his security detachment at city hall.
3 weeks after we left , he got assianated. No one inside the building on his detail .
But it was how they was trained, many of the guys I talked too in the Stryker brigade
I felt bad for em knowing they was gonna be high payoff targets and not having a presence on the ground 24/7.

We went thru the security plan and mission on the ground perimeter and inside building SOP with the Stryker guys for 2 weeks.

It's aversion to risk. Someone might get hurt if you are out among the population.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
10 years Army National Guard in Montana and WA State.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Veteran, 33 years of Army National Guard with active duty time. 5 Combat MOSs, 2 with Hotel designators. Retired 30 Sep 18 as 1SG. My greatest source of pride? My son Nathan is currently serving in Afghanistan in the U.S. Army and is scheduled to return to Fort Carson on 6 Nov 18. I can't wait.

Last edited by TheBigSky; 10/10/18.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
USAF 1978 - 2004.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
Veteran, 33 years of Army National Guard with active duty time. 5 Combat MOSs, 2 with Hotel designators. Retired 30 Sep 18 as 1SG. My greatest source of pride? My son Nathan is currently serving in Afghanistan in the U.S. Army and is scheduled to return to Fort Carson on 6 Nov 18. I can't wait.

Oh, boy!

Thats gonna be a good day!

I am MAGA.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Thanks, Dinny

Was it the sbct out of Ft. Lewis or sbct out Ft Wainwright? I was just leaving Lewis when 3D bde was turning in all there Armor. Trucks coming from Canada loaded with LAV's Uncle Sam leased them so those soldiers could learn to drive them, I guess very similar setup. Anyhow my last days at Lewis they started getting the strykers late 2000. You want to see some pissed Armor officers mention 3d acr and 2d acr becoming sbct.

Last edited by 79S; 10/10/18.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
IC B3

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BadHabit
First joined Nov 22. Went to MP school as an E-nothing. Spent 13 years in the Mississippi Army National Guard in various roles making it to E-6. Went inactive while working on my Master's. Was subsequently discharged without my knowledge. Got direct commissioned into the Air Force Reserve in 2001 because the Guard didn't know how to get me back in (no [bleep]- that's what they told me). Since I was an Army guy I HATED the Air Force. Transferred to the Tennessee National Guard when I moved in 2002. In 2008 I there was a perfect storm of events occurring causing to me to decide to resign my commission. Basically 1- I was not going to give up a job making 3 times the national average for my career field, and 2- I didn't want to serve under Obama Bin Ladin. Speed forward about 8 years. 45 is in office and it's time to get back in. After recruiters jacking around for 2 years I was finally able to get back into the National Guard over the last 2 months. They felt a little pity on me so they gave me O-4. Gonna ride it another 10 years since I just hit 50. Should be able to make O-6 if I play my cards right.

The Tennessee national guard guys were on the same fob as us in 09 in Afghanistan. You talk about some serious drama, the MAJ pulled his pistol was going to shoot the SGM. Needless to say he went home, then COL and his guys were driving all over the country side looking for fight so they could get CAB's and some BSM w/v type [bleep]. Big investigation came down after one of there mraps hit an IED sent several of them to hospital in Salerno. So the soldiers finally said something. I last saw that COL in Salerno waiting on ride to Baghram. There mission as a agriculture advisor team, one guy that cracked me up was known as the beekeeper bob Moore he was a college professor. That guy was a real character, he was E5 but introduced himself to everyone as Bob Moore.

Last edited by 79S; 10/10/18.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by 79S

Thanks, Dinny

Was it the sbct out of Ft. Lewis or sbct out Ft Wainwright? I was just leaving Lewis when 3D bde was turning in all there Armor. Trucks coming from Canada loaded with LAV's Uncle Sam leased them so those soldiers could learn to drive them, I guess very similar setup. Anyhow my last days at Lewis they started getting the strykers late 2000. You want to see some pissed Armor officers mention 3d acr and 2d acr becoming sbct.

We were at Lewis around the same time, was my first duty station, left there the summer of 2000.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by 79S

Thanks, Dinny

Ft Lewis

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
USAF 1960/1965

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

Dad served in the Pacific with the 32nd infantry division. In 126th Field Art. In 3 years went from PVT to
First Sargent. He was the kind of guy who new how to get the job done.

I did 6.5 years active duty in Army and 21 years National Guard.

Spent 66-67 in Vietnam and 2003-2004 in Iraq.

Got direct commission as a W1 and retired a CW4 in 2005.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Yetti
Originally Posted by 79S

Thanks, Dinny

We were at Lewis around the same time, was my first duty station, left there the summer of 2000.

Was mine as well, I was stuck over in signal hell turning wrenches..

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
USMC '81 - '85, 0311/31/41
Lost alot of good friends in the 'rut on 23 October, 1983.
SEMPER FI!!

"...and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
Luke 22:36
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by TheBigSky

Oh, boy!

Thats gonna be a good day!

You bet your bottom dollar Big JIm.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Regular Army 82-90 with 1/41st (m) infantry,Ft Hood TX&Germany. I also had 6 brothers serve, 1 USMC,3 USAF,2 Army I had 1 other brother that tried but had a deformed elbow and they turned him down.

Last edited by DANNYL; 10/12/18.
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 117LBS, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 55 invisible), 2,858 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,796
Posts18,536,459
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.