-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Anybody use a chassis mounted rifle to hunt with? Never messed with one, but seems if you could make one reasonably light it might be a nice, compact, platform for hunting.

Thinking a chassis mounted 700 action utilizing a barrel nut might be fun.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I've coyote hunted with a chassis rifle and killed an elk last year with same, and a deer before that. It ain't exactly 'reasonably light', tho. It's more fun to run suppressed....

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have had some in the past. If your a fan of the ergonomics on a AR15 then it’s probably something you might like. I prefer the traditional stocked rifles though. So I got rid of most of mine.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
You’re post is what got me thinking about it, Jbuck.

I do like AR ergos, but seems it ain’t easy to make a lightweight on a chassis. Was thinking an all up 6.5-7 pounder would be fun, and with a switch barrel/Remage type set up, you could gun whatever you wanted in a chunk profile and bipod as long as it fit the action length and bolt face.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Christensen makes a pretty light one.

https://christensenarms.com/modern-precision-rifle/

Ruger RPR is a little heavy but a friend hauls one.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by MadMooner
You’re post is what got me thinking about it, Jbuck.

I do like AR ergos, but seems it ain’t easy to make a lightweight on a chassis. Was thinking an all up 6.5-7 pounder would be fun, and with a switch barrel/Remage type set up, you could gun whatever you wanted in a chunk profile and bipod as long as it fit the action length and bolt face.

In that case the CA Is suppose to sell the chassis that comes with the MPR separate later. That would probably be one id try if I was looking for light hunting. I’ve had a couple AI’s and some aluminum frames that took AR grips and stocks. I also want to try set up a MDT LSS for my kids to shoot as well.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
What advantage do those stocks offer over a traditional style stock?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ergo's and adjustability.
Anything that ugly has to have a darn b old reason to exist.

Mooner,

The first time I saw one I was like you.
Then I saw the weight. No way.
I have your Uncle Ed's Sako heavy barrel 22-250, and a heavier Savage.
Ain't no way I's a wantin' to tote that real far.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I had a MAK tubegun when they first came out.

Advantage
- straightline recoil of the MAK setup did help keeping on target.

Disadvantage
- aluminium is never lighter than a good composite stock.
- angular design is common and is painful when carried slung.
- aluminium is REALLY cold when the temperatures are cold.
- aluminium with the M16 type grip is NOT ergonomic with a bolt action. Your master hand has to move further to operate the action and is poorly positioned to make the move - it takes longer to cycle the action than with a normal stock designed for a bolt action.

The closest I go these days is a AICS for a dedicated long range rifle.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by jbuck

......... I also want to try set up a MDT LSS for my kids to shoot as well.

I picked up a decent youth setup from a forum member a few weeks back. MDT LSS, SA 700, with a 17" sporter contour barrel in 6x45. After sighting it in I can say I MUCH prefer a regular stocked rifle...which I knew already.... The big pro with this is the ability to change LOP so easily between 3 kids that are spread across the board on size. I haven't had time to let them shoot yet but they've practiced lining up and dry firing from a rest and seem to like it.

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Anybody use a chassis mounted rifle to hunt with? Never messed with one, but seems if you could make one reasonably light it might be a nice, compact, platform for hunting.

Thinking a chassis mounted 700 action utilizing a barrel nut might be fun.

No.

Just...No.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I think they are heavy and uncomfortable to carry in your hands or over you shoulder,so I have no interest in hunting with anything that ugly.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
The Fix rifle by Q is another pretty light chassis rifle if you can wait for one.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Lol. True enough, they are pretty ugly.

I might look for a LSS to see what is what. Not real interested in dropping 3 grand on a bolt action AR though!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I think an AI AW counts as a chassis rifle and I used one of mine on a hunting trip a few years ago because it was the best option at the time. It's definitely not a light set up but I managed to get a nice mule deer using Federal's Trophy Copper 150gr load (.308 Win) and the bullet did its job at 345 yards since he only went about 10 feet before dropping dead. I remember having to crawl through snow to get in position and I had an awkward shooting position facing downhill. It was bloody cold at the top of the coulee, and a lot colder at the bottom.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Offering FFL 07 & SOT services in NW Montana
[email protected]
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Was thinking an all up 6.5-7 pounder would be fun

You are not going to get a chassis gun to that weight. The lightest you will get with a scope is going to 8 pounds, and more like 8.5lbs. Only the Q Fix will meet that weight. The CA MPR is 9+ pounds ounce scoped.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
But to answer the OP’s question- yes, I’ve hunted with chassis rifles a lot. As a general hunting rifle, the Q Fix is probably the best of the lot, with the CA MOR next if you get one that shoots.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

You are not going to get a chassis gun to that weight. The lightest you will get with a scope is going to 8 pounds, and more like 8.5lbs. Only the Q Fix will meet that weight. The CA MPR is 9+ pounds ounce scoped.

I'll have to double check, but I believe the one I picked up is ~7lbs scoped (sans loaded mag). MDT LSS, SA 700, 17" sporter contour barrel, DNZ Huntmaster mounts, 4x Conquest.....not a "normal" chassis setup. I'll check weights tonight to verify.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've hunted with a couple chassis based rifles. One, 223AI in an XLR chassis. Great gun in the PD towns of SD. The other was a 65.CM in a MDT LSS - not great on stand or ina blind on a cold November morning deer hunting. Cold metal does not make for warm hands - gloved or not. As a side, if outfitted with a collapsable stock on an AR buffer tube, the tube too gets cold and transmits that cold thru to the cheek. JMHO. YMMV.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

I'll have to double check, but I believe the one I picked up is ~7lbs scoped (sans loaded mag). MDT LSS, SA 700, 17" sporter contour barrel, DNZ Huntmaster mounts, 4x Conquest.....not a "normal" chassis setup. I'll check weights tonight to verify.

I'm off on the weights. It's ~7lbs 14oz scoped.....so pretty close to Form's listed light weight. Changing to a mt contour barrel rather than sporter could lighten it a little and scopes a few oz's lighter than the Conquest are out there but I'd guess at most it would get you to 7.25-7.5 lbs.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

683 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 73 invisible), 3,142 guests, and 1,394 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,480
Posts18,471,781
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.