Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
skeen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Got my Remington 700 Ultimate Muzzleloader out to the range today. Shooting 200 grains of Triple7 pellets and 250 grain Remington Premier AccuTip bullets. I mounted up a Steiner Nighthunter Xtreme 2-10x50 I bought from Doug

Before firing it I swabbed the barrel with T/C pre-saturated cleaning patches and was shocked at how many it took to clean the barrel out( at least a dozen). They must shoot it at the factory a lot, or I got a test rifle. I also swabbed between each shot.

I will say this - the bore is tight. I mean really, really, tight. With just a cleaning patch on the supplied jag it was very hard to push the patch down the barrel and very hard to pull the ramrod back up. As a matter of fact, in order to get more leverage I screwed a longer jag on the opposite end and while trying to pull it back up the bronze jag broke off leaving the male threaded end in my ramrod.

Loading the Premier AccuTip bullets is difficult too - make sure you have a short starter on hand. I got on Remington's website and ordered a 27" Brass Ramrod w/removable T-hande for my next range trip.

I've shot about 35 rounds and am pleased with the accuracy. 5 shot groups are averaging 1.5-2" @100 yards. The 200 grains of powder does kick - I've never been scoped in my life at the range, until now - 3 times tonight. blush

I really like the ignition system and the Bell and Carlson stock. Overall I much prefer this rifle over my Thompson Center Encore Pro Hunter.

Anyways, it's definitely shooting "Minute of Deer" for the Kansas season opener on Monday.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Typical 5 shot group100 yards
[Linked Image]

GB1

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
That's nice to hear Skeen. I am racking my brain trying to get my Encore and TC Impact to shoot decent. I'm starting to think they are not good quality. I have tried everything, different bullets, 5 powders and other primers. I avr. 4" @ 50 yds with Alliant and about 3 " with Blackhorn. Nowhere near good enough even at 50 yds. I get fliers for no reason to make mattes worse. I only shoot loose powder . I a looking into a custom barrel for the Encore so I can just shoot bullets with out sabots. What do you like about the 700 over the Encore? There may be something wrong with our 700 if it is that tight.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
skeen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ihookem
What do you like about the 700 over the Encore?

Everything I like about the 700 over the TC Encore is purely subjective, I suppose.

First, I have a couple of center-fire 700 Senderos with the same stock so I like the feel and ergonomics of it. I never did warm up to the TC Flextech stock - it never seemed to balance right, to me. And with the TC the butt-pad was so 'squishy,' it would almost shift on the ground while ramming a sabot down the tube. It shot fine and I killed quite a few deer with it, but, you know.

The ignition system is great. It's much easier to "drop a shell" in versus putting a 209 primer on a nipple.

To me the 700 Ultimate Muzzleloader feels and handles just like any one of my centerfire rifles, and that's what I like most.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I have the muzzleloader barrel and a 45-70 Gov. barrel for my Encore. This gun is not set up for this much recoil at all. The 45-70 will pound you to pieces with full loads, and I have never even tried full loads . The kick on a moderate hand load is truly unreal . It is too light of a gun for these calibers. A .223 would be great however. Also , I never got near the groups you are getting. I would de risking a wounded animal with the groups I am getting at 50 yds.

Last edited by ihookem; 09/14/18.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I’ve got the laminate version of the rifle and I’m using Federal BorLoks and the Remington Accutips with BH209. Amazing rifle.

[Linked Image]

Semper Fi
IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Well, if you have not had the ignition system upgraded then you are taking a big chance of ruining your breach plug. Remington has never recommended Blackhorn 209 in the RUML. Ive seen it happen to several of them and Rem is beginning to stop warranty work on them if you are shooting Blackhorn.

There is good news however. Luke at ASG has a upgrade for the RUML and UF rifles to make them 100% Blackhorn compatible. His modules replace those stupid cases and last WAY WAY longer. Only draw back is its not just a swap. Minor smithing is required.
http://www.arrowheadsporting.com/asggen2_uml.html

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Installation package for Rem 700ML including ASG268, ASG152, and installation $300 around $225 if you can do it yourself.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
To me the 700 Ultimate Muzzleloader feels and handles just like any one of my centerfire rifles, and that's what I like most.

That would be because it is a centerfire rifle. The RUML is nothing more than a Rem700 SS single shot action. So obviously it will feel like a centerfire. Nothing new about it really. Bolt action MLs have been around for years including customs that will smoke a RUML in build quality or velocity. Ultra Light Arms was making them back in 2005 or 2006 on the model 20 action. It only weighed about 5lbs. Retail was only about $900 back then.

[Linked Image]

2442fps with a 275gr Parker BE
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Overkill45; 09/14/18.
skeen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well, no deer, yet. Passed up a few small bucks. Did get to take it for a test drive on a song dog. wink

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

skeen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I let the Ultimate Muzzleloader eat on a 8 pointer. This buck was running with another smaller buck this morning @125 yards. I've seen lots of bucks, but all smaller. He went about 50 yards after the shot with a hole through his heart. Easy enough blood trail to follow though. I'm pleased with the performance of the Remington Premier AccuTip bullets. Love the Steiner Nighthunter Xtreme scope.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I was looking at these muzzleloaders and they were $969.00 . A bit high but I think I can get one cheaper. Any ides off hand where? I'm not sure though, this is the way I should go though. First, I dont care much for Sabots. I think they are not a good idea. Although , very few have had problems with them and I would be happy if I could get 4" @ 100yds at this time. Last thing i need however is to dump another thousand bucks in a gun.

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I have the muzzleloader barrel and a 45-70 Gov. barrel for my Encore. This gun is not set up for this much recoil at all. The 45-70 will pound you to pieces with full loads, and I have never even tried full loads . The kick on a moderate hand load is truly unreal . It is too light of a gun for these calibers. A .223 would be great however. Also , I never got near the groups you are getting. I would de risking a wounded animal with the groups I am getting at 50 yds.

A friend of mine shoots the 700 UML and it's very accurate.

Odd about your Encore. I've had a 45/70 and I still have an Encore muzzleloader, probably shot 8-10 other Encore .50 cal muzzleloaders and all are 1.5" or less @ 100yds.

I shoot 75grs of BH209 by weight, Harvester Crush Rib Sabot with a 300gr Scorpion bullet and a Fed 209A primer.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
skeen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I was looking at these muzzleloaders and they were $969.00 . A bit high but I think I can get one cheaper. Any ides off hand where? I'm not sure though, this is the way I should go though. First, I dont care much for Sabots. I think they are not a good idea. Although , very few have had problems with them and I would be happy if I could get 4" @ 100yds at this time. Last thing i need however is to dump another thousand bucks in a gun.

Buds has them for $822.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog..._id/93395/Remington+700+MUZZLELOADER+50C

Only $709 for the Laminate version

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...93394/Remington+700+MUZZLELOADER+LSS+50C

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
How much are the primer cases? I ask cause it seems like they purposefully made the diameter different so you can't just make them out of a 308 case or something. That is what they should have done so we could just cut a .473 dia. case 1" long or something and use those. If they are cheap, the who cares but what is they sell out or something due to brass shortage or something. Seems they make it hard to keep muzzloading easy.

skeen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
How much are the primer cases?

You can usually find them on sale for around $17-18 bucks for a package of 24. So around $ .70 cents for a primed brass case. Add the Triple 7 pellets and sabots and you're in for about the same as an average centerfire factory load.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have one for sale with the b&c stock . Gun is in excellent shape. Has leupold rings and bases. I’ll take 700 shipped. Pm me if you want pics or text at 5404305218

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought the bullet, so to speak, and bought an Ultimate also. Since I didn't get drawn for any muzzle loader tags this year, I have not spent much time shooting it. I have hopes for a New Mexico Elk hunt next year, I know a landowner who says he's got bulls and a license for me. (I'm not sure how elk tags are handy out in NM.)
He says to expect good shooting but also expect 200 yards. I thought my percussion 54 caliber might work, but feel better with this set-up. My ML has an iron front sight and laminated stock. I have a steel aperture Lyman sight for the rifle for SD BP shooting too.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
200 gr of 777. Damn that sounds stout.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Was thinking same. Don't think I'd a made it past the first scope cut.

skeen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by srwshooter
I have one for sale with the b&c stock . Gun is in excellent shape. Has leupold rings and bases. I’ll take 700 shipped. Pm me if you want pics or text at 5404305218

That's a good deal and good luck with your sale. What are you replacing it with?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's nice to hear Skeen. I am racking my brain trying to get my Encore and TC Impact to shoot decent. I'm starting to think they are not good quality. I have tried everything, different bullets, 5 powders and other primers. I avr. 4" @ 50 yds with Alliant and about 3 " with Blackhorn. Nowhere near good enough even at 50 yds. I get fliers for no reason to make mattes worse. I only shoot loose powder . I a looking into a custom barrel for the Encore so I can just shoot bullets with out sabots. What do you like about the 700 over the Encore? There may be something wrong with our 700 if it is that tight.

Since you are having accuracy issues with two guns, I'd like to gently suggest that maybe you're doing something wrong in your loading, or that maybe you've got sabot residue in your barrels. 80-100gr of BH with CCI mag primers and Harvester Crush-Rib sabots with Hornady 300gr .45 cal XTPs have shot well in the four rifles I've played with, though none were the models you have. Kill well too. Don't know about the Alliant powder, but BH needs some compression, a tight bullet combo for good bore resistance, and a clean flash channel for proper ignition and burn, and accuracy.

I've only shot an Encore rifle once, and that was offhand, but my cousin hates them with a passion because of the kick he gets with slugs and ML hunting loads. The one I shot was a thumbhole laminated ML, and it was pretty heavy. Offhand it pushed me back, but didn't hurt. I picked up one of the bargain Strikes from CDNN and like everything about it except the scope rail setup, but that was an easy fix.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

667 members (10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1eyedmule, 67 invisible), 3,346 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,378
Posts18,469,505
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.