Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I finally was able to track down a pistol grip, checkered stock from the correct time period for my 1919 1899 .250-3000 which came to me with a cut butt. The replacement I bought needs refinished. I have never seen an 1899 from this era that had the original finish in nice shape. My question is, what sort of finish do I want to use to look correct? The stocks I've done in the past, I used Ed's Red and Tru-Oil and they came out nice, but I'm not sure it would look anything like what would have come on a 1899 from 1919.

I'm filling time with research while I wait impatiently for my new to me take down 1899A. Well it would have been called a 99A but this one is an 1899 and I don't know if Savage used the letters for 1899s. My first straight stock 1899!

Thanks.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hey, what's the 1899A chambered in, and what year? Perchbelly, or straight stock?

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here is a pic of the finish of the stock on my 1916 1899 250-3000
[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Serial number 2041XX 1919 250-3000 Rifle.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Sorry for the dark pics, the rifle isn't quite that dark. For some reason my flash is flashing, then the shutter is clicking a second later. Guess that's why they call it a smart phone.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Hey, what's the 1899A chambered in, and what year? Perchbelly, or straight stock?

I believe it's DOB was 1912, but that is an estimate I came up with from memory based on the serial number, I need to confirm. It does have a perch belly and is chambered in 303 Savage. Did I buy it from you? smile

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by JoeMartin
Sorry for the dark pics, the rifle isn't quite that dark. For some reason my flash is flashing, then the shutter is clicking a second later. Guess that's why they call it a smart phone.

Thanks for the pictures. Looks like my 1915 250-3000 is sporting the original finish, I thought it had been refinished since it was so shiny.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
After looking at the posted pictures, my 1915 1899 and other pictures online, to me the stocks on the 1899s slightly red or orange, at least form like 1910 to 1920. Or maybe the coloring I'm seeing is just what the finish looks like after 100 years. Also, it looks like it might not be an oil finish as I was expecting. I can't find information on how Savage finished the stocks during this time period. Does this info exist and am I just not searching correctly? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have refinished stocks in pure Tung, Linseed, Lin-Speed. I like the tung oil flat look on the older rifle stocks. Lin-speed (which I *think* is simply linseed with some varnish mixed in) is the most beautiful though with a slighly shiny look.
I am told that the tung oil holds up better in all weather conditions vs Lin-speed finishes. YMMV.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by damnesia
After looking at the posted pictures, my 1915 1899 and other pictures online, to me the stocks on the 1899s slightly red or orange, at least form like 1910 to 1920. Or maybe the coloring I'm seeing is just what the finish looks like after 100 years. Also, it looks like it might not be an oil finish as I was expecting. I can't find information on how Savage finished the stocks during this time period. Does this info exist and am I just not searching correctly? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Murray’s 3rd addition says the finish on the Model 1899 250-3000 was varnish.

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Thanks guys. I was thinking of spraying it with water based lacquer, mainly because I'm have experience applying it and it looks awesome. I think it probably look pretty close to varnish. But I've never use varnish so, I'll do up some test boards to see what I like.

Thanks again.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I suspect it was after the 1899/99 change that Savage cheapened their finishes a bit, at least as a personal observation. Before that varnish ruled the day, after that oil finishes became prevalent.

They didn't use lacquer ever as far as I can tell, and certainly not shellac. Lacquer is hard and unyielding, not the preferred finish on a piece of wood that may be subjected to dramatic swings in ambient moisture. The finish must be flexible (which lacquer isn't) to move when the wood moves or it could craze. Shellac is right out there. Ever set a wet glass on a shellaced piece of furniture, or worse yet spill alcohol on it? 'Nuff said.

Nothing beats good old spar varnish for a period correct finish, and a finish that remains excellent among today's finishes.

Ed's Red for a wood tint??? Are you sure you want to apply something with petroleum in it to wood? (Automatic transmission fluid being a major ingredient.) Ed's Red is a super bore solvent, but for wood finishing not on your life.

Lots of debate as to how Winchester, Savage, and others achieved the warm red tint in their stocks "back in the day". Conventional wisdom is that alkanet root was the answer. Lots written about it. Google is your friend.

Linspeed oil? Meh. I did a couple stocks with it back in another life and swore off of it after watching a monsoon rain strip a M94 stock down to swollen gray bare wood. I won't sit here and say that I never ever employ an oil finish on a stock, but when I do it's either under protest or to emulate a factory finish that was originally oil, such as on a 30's-50's vintage Savage or a U.S. milsurp. I don't know how Savage did it, but Springfield Armory dipped stocks into vats of hot oil and I wouldn't be a bit surprised to learn that commercial ventures did a similar trick. (This I got from a "horses mouth", an old guy who did his Army training to be an Artificer at Springfield during the War. They used linseed and tung oil interchangeably depending on what kind of a deal the procurement officer could get. There is no practical difference between the two, no matter what the old wive's may say.)

Tru Oil? Help yourselves. The only reason it gets a lot of press is by virtue of Birchwwod Casey's marketing. If it's on every gun shop shelf in the country it's got to be good right? Right? If you want to do it cheaply and just as effectively, just mix some spar varnish and pure oil (again it matters not if it's linseed or tung) about 50/50 and presto, Tru Oil. The most diligent way is to use artist grade pure oil (from the neighborhood art supply store) because you don't know what you're getting off the hardware store shelf. Nor, for that matter, do we know how long the Tru Oil has been gathering dust in the gunshop.

In conclusion, oil finishes may be pretty and are certainly easy to apply, but present the worst weather protection of any possible finish. A moot point if the rifle will never see hunting weather. At least apply a good paste wax too for a modicum of protection. Learning to do a spar varnish period correct finish isn't rocket science and has a pretty short learning curve. In truth, anymore I find it to be no more taxing than doing a proper oil finish, and if done right may lead some folks to think they're looking at a fine oil finished stock.* Ask the folks who've seen my varnish finishes.

* By "fine oil finish" I mean one in which the pores are righteously filled flush with the wood surface before the oiling begins. And I don't mean by sanding in slurries or patent pore filling substances. They will shrink with time and Ye Olde Pores are back staring you in the face. Patiently apply varnish or epoxy, sanding and reapplying as necessary until pores are filled flush to otherwise bare naked wood.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 10/15/18.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

Ed's Red for a wood tint??? Are you sure you want to apply something with petroleum in it to wood? (Automatic transmission fluid being a major ingredient.) Ed's Red is a super bore solvent, but for wood finishing not on your life.

Hah. I meant to type "French Red". My dad gave me a partial bottle a long time ago so that's what I've used in the past for stain.

Thanks for the info on lacquer vs. varnish. I picked up some spar-varnish and will test it out. Sounds like that is the direction I want to go.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Another approach is to use aniline dyes. Alcohol based and as such can be diluted to whatever tint you desire. They will be UV resistant and durable to boot, and make the wood "pop" like nothing else.

To my knowledge the old "French Red" was actually an aniline dye of sorts- alkanet root leached into alcohol. Good stuff. I wish I could stumble onto an old bottle of it. Definitely do a test board- you don't want to be too red.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am thinking that Old Masters, which is Tung and Varnish, might be the perfect answer for a gun stock finish after having used it on a black walnut desk I recently finished.
This was after 8 coats. It appears and feels very durable. Maybe I should put it out in the rain for a while? smile

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Nice. But like I said earlier an oil finish, even one as pretty as that, pales in comparison to a barrier finish in terms of water fenestration. If the goal is a stock that will be used in all weather conditions, oil finishes are not your friend. If the goal is a stock that will be used for bragging and/or sunny days at the range then "hand rubbed oil finishes" are fine and dandy. Even those of us who avoid dragging their guns out in inclement weather sometimes get caught out, at least I do. Of course environmental conditions where the gun "lives" are a consideration too- a fella in Arizona wouldn't be as concerned about all this as would a guy who lives where humidity and rain are an insidious fact of life.

To that end, yeah put it outside for a couple rain storms and get back to me on how well it held up. Fine furniture and gun stocks have a lot of traits in common, but outdoor durability isn't one of them. Don't compare apples to oranges.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I too have to think that spar varnish had to rule the day "back in the day." Many of the finishes we have today are hybrids including (which I'm pretty damn sure of) Linspeed Oil. I have restored several bamboo fly rods and a few years back I really got into original finishes. Many of the old bamboo rods were dipped in a vat of spar varnish as the final stage of production and many rod builders today still use the same technique. I am also pretty darn sure that the foundation of many of our current hybrids (and glues) were an outgrowth of technological advances that were made during WWII.

I find tung oil interesting. I like tung oil but there is just no way in heck you are going to get any sort of shine out of it. In addition, when you are marketing things shine is pretty damn important as people are just naturally drawn to shiny things. I also bet you that if you were to fire up the time machine and step into a hardware store circa-1920s you would find little more than spar varnishes on the shelf and guns with shiny stocks for sale on the rack. Tung oil will not give you that but spar varnish certainly will.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Everett Garrison devised a series of weights and pulleys to withdraw a split cane fly rod section out of a pipe filled with varnish at a rate that exactly matched the drying time of the varnish. It made for a perfect finish. I wracked my brain to come up with a similar contraption to varnish gun stocks but it is impractical due to: It would take a hellacious amount of varnish to fill a large pipe, and the need for sanding between coats to fill pores would dictate repeated submersion's and I would go nuts standing around waiting. (A short trip, I know.)

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I think you would go nuts as I think the extraction time for pulling rods out of varnishing tanks is very slow and steady. Still an interesting idea. A dip tank for gun stocks might work if the varnishing material is thinned out. And I'm not so sure it would take gallons more of varnish when compared to a rod dip tank as those are often long enough to do at least a two piece 9-ft rod - and a rifle stock is much shorter than that.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
For the guy with more time than not.

You guys crack me up!

LOL
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 56 invisible), 10,485 guests, and 1,050 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,367
Posts18,547,042
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.