Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I like Leupold scopes because their eye relief is just a bit more than other brands. I'm sure there may be another type that also has good relief, but I just haven't ran across them. Whatever you get make sure it has as much eye relief as you can find. The Leupold 2.5X has good eye relief, and so does my 4X fixed.

GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Thanks for the replies. I prolly just forgot and was interested about it.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I had a Leupold M8 4x33 on a Marlin 1895, and it worked very well. One of the things I particularly liked about it in that application was that it has a comparatively small eyepiece diameter, so I could mount it good and low while still having access to the hammer underneath it. Very light too. IIRC the FXII is of similar dimensions.

I have also used one of these scopes on a 9.3x74R double rifle, and a couple of other 4x scopes on other rifles. A Meopta Artemis 4x32 in particular is one I am very happy with - such a pity they appear no longer to make them. For big game at distances from close in to well past 100 yards I think they work very well. I've shot a good number of pigs, some buffalo and various other game, standing and at full gallop too, using these scopes at these sorts of distances. Fixed scopes also have fewer lenses than variables, so can be lighter and, in theory at least, pass more light (all else being equal).

A 1.5 - 6 would also be a good option, or perhaps a 2-7 - I have a couple of each of these - though you might find it hard to get one with quite as small an eyepiece diameter as the Leupold 4x.

J
JSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have an M8 3x post and duplex for the purpose that works really well. A 2.5 Compact would also work well and has a smaller eyepiece.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
[quote=Steelhead] I don't want to last past the point where I can contribute something positive to the society around me.

So all this time I've been sparring with a ghost...........

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
[quote=Steelhead] I don't want to last past the point where I can contribute something positive to the society around me.

So all this time I've been sparring with a ghost...........

Ha.

Ha.

Not.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've hunted in thick woods all my life. I have 2 fixed 4X Leupolds.

But I have to say, when I have lots of time stand hunting, I always want more power. I use my 2-7X the most. Crank it up and make a precise shot and judge antlers.

I think the 2.5-8 is perfect. Even a 3-9Xis great if it not too heavy. Variables are durable now. Its not 1950 anymore.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Leupold CS 3x on a MRC .338FEd....

[Linked Image]

Another on a Nula .50cal Muzzleloader....

[Linked Image]

laissez les bons temps rouler
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I also would LOVE to be able to buy good quality 4X scopes and also a good 2.5X scope. GOOD ones. Rugged as a hammer.
The Leupold and the Weavers are both good, and I have had some older Burris scopes that were fine too, but do-dad wizz-bang-gizmo scopes are what is being forced down the throats of all of us by the advertisers. I have nothing against such scopes per-se, but I have no use for them myself. I am a shooter and hunter who doesn't use a bench rest for anything but load-work and zeroing. After I have an accurate load and have my rifle zeroed, it never touches a bench rest again until it needs a new barrel.
Shooting from field positions is what increases your skill. Not artificial rests. Shooting from field positions I have found the 4X to be by far the most user friendly sight I have ever used in over 50 years of shooting The next one down is a fixed 2.5 power, but the one I want I can't seem to get in the USA. That would be a scope of only 2X or 2.5X with a wind objective to gather light like there is no tomorrow. A 30 MM tube may be good too, but I don't want any gizmos. I want a supper bright clear and rugged sight. If any do-dad was to be added, maybe hash marks at 3MOA spacing down the vertical cross hair would be good, but that's it and that's all.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Earlier this year I bought an IOR Valdada 4x32 to replace the mid 80's 1.5-5x20 Vari-X III on my black bear rifle. I haven't been able to shoot a bear with it yet, but have liked it a lot on the range and in the field. This is an additional good choice along with the Weaver and Leupold.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I ordered a 6x42 from Kaps last week. After getting a quote on the scope with shipping from them because I couldn’t find a dealer in Berlin, I went to order the scope directly. The shipping on their website was 60 euro more. When I asked about the difference from the quote they lowered the price of the scope by 60 euro for my order.

“Lighten up Francis”
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Youper
Earlier this year I bought an IOR Valdada 4x32 to replace the mid 80's 1.5-5x20 Vari-X III on my black bear rifle. I haven't been able to shoot a bear with it yet, but have liked it a lot on the range and in the field. This is an additional good choice along with the Weaver and Leupold.

With the tankish nature of the IOR 6x and the very clear glass I would bet the 4x is a good option.

“Lighten up Francis”
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
micky, let us know how you like the Kaps 6x42. Here in Europe, they have a reputation for being strong as an anvil and superb low light performance. I once had an IOR 4x that I bought at the factory here in Bucharest. Of course like a fool, I sold it. It would be about perfect if you could get it with a #4 reticle. RJ

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Will do. I have been thinking about doing a very light post here on my 6x collection broken into two parts. Cheaper scopes and more high end stuff.

“Lighten up Francis”
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Crossfifty
Hey folks! I am putting together a woods/brush gun. Have a Marlin 45-70 GBL (18.5" barrel) and I was thinking that a nice simple 3x or 4x fixed scope would be the way to go. Where this will be used, not much chance of over a 100 yard shot, prob less than 50 yards. Need a little magnification for the eyes and a good field of view, plus I like the idea of keeping it simple. Needs to hold zero and have nice glass. Simple thick duplex is fine for reticle....just a point and shoot set up. No hard budget, just a scope that makes sense for this gun, a one and done purchase for the rest of this guns hunting career (I am 50 so I hope another 40 yrs). Any thoughts or recommendations?

For fast point and shoot to 100 yards it would be hard to beat a quality red dot. For some magnification at speed I have a Trijicon Accupoint 1-4 w/ post and green triangle on my go to AR and it is about perfect. I use XS sights on my GG but would use the Accupoint if hunting w/ it .

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Crossfifty,

You didn't ask for my advice BUT at 71YO I don't "see open sights" well at all & have found the solution for me (for my "brush guns") in a 2-2.5X power REDFIELD or LEOPOLD. - Right now, I own five of them.

Those scopes are TOUGH & relatively easy to find at "attractive prices" at the local TX Gun-shows.
(I paid 35 bucks for the last Redfield that I bought, which ended up on my 67YO 1st cousin's 336T.)

You might also LOOK AT an "old-school" SWEDISH-made AIMPOINT for brush-country hunting.
(I don't like the new ones but the old ones seem "bulletproof".)

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, Lt.Col., comdt.
Fortress of The Alamo, Bejar
F'by 24, 1836
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
For a parallax free red dot Aimpoint has set the standard for years.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by lvmiker
For a parallax free red dot Aimpoint has set the standard for years.

mike r

Yep. I've been using Aimpoint red dot sights on my turkey shotgun for about 13 years.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

122 members (41rem, 808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 15 invisible), 1,954 guests, and 991 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,707
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.