Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Gus

why are the gates down on our southern perimeter and folks are flooding into the country to eat the resources that are here?

Ask the globalist. But from what I understand we have a president actually trying to curb the influx of illegals from entering this country.

GB1

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
if everybody would start smoking more pot, the pension problem would be up in smoke

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Pat85
Originally Posted by Gus

why are the gates down on our southern perimeter and folks are flooding into the country to eat the resources that are here?

Ask the globalist. But from what I understand we have a president actually trying to curb the influx of illegals from entering this country.

back in 70, 71, & 72 i would have bought a new chevy. but the prices were up, and the pay the gov't was giving me was a bit less than what i would have needed.

what we've got is a gov't that has misallocated our precious resources.

i'm hopeful trump and his supporters can get us back on tract.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
account cannot be touched by Company
Years ago I worked for a small seed company. Shortly before I left, they started a pension program. Maybe 10 or 15 years later, I ran into one of my former co-workers who had also quit. He said they'd raided the pension fund to do an expensive remodel on the office.

My brother worked for one of the big banks. He retired early and got his money out of their pension program and into an IRA. He said they were doing some kinky things with the pension account and the smart ones were pulling out.

When my dad retired at age fifty-five, after thirty years in the Teamster's Union, he applied for his pension. They told him it was all gone. He went back to work for another thirty years and quit when he was eighty-five.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
All retirement plans should be Defined Contribution. Defined Benefit plans should be illegal.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Ringman
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
account cannot be touched by Company
Years ago I worked for a small seed company. Shortly before I left, they started a pension program. Maybe 10 or 15 years later, I ran into one of my former co-workers who had also quit. He said they'd raided the pension fund to do an expensive remodel on the office.

My brother worked for one of the big banks. He retired early and got his money out of their pension program and into an IRA. He said they were doing some kinky things with the pension account and the smart ones were pulling out.

When my dad retired at age fifty-five, after thirty years in the Teamster's Union, he applied for his pension. They told him it was all gone. He went back to work for another thirty years and quit when he was eighty-five.

I was a Teamster just long enough to get fully vested. I've been drawing it for 5 years now. It depends on which conference you're in. Some are pretty solid, others are belly up.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In 1988 I quit Olin after 4 years and I was promised $200/month pension from Olin aerospace when when I reached 65 in 2016.
When I contacted them in 2016, they pretended I had never been there. Then I produced some of their 1988 paperwork and they admitted I had $200/mo coming. When the checks arrived they were $67/month.
I called and they said there had been an error in my payment calculation for 28 years, but the new correct amount is $67/month.

The difference is not worth me fighting over, but it does look like they can promise one thing and deliver another.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All I know is I've never had a pension in the private sector. I've worked awful hard building up my 401K and that, and the value in our house is all we have, but it's ours and won't be raided. I stayed very conservative on my investments, and pray that the market doesn't go belly up in the next 10 years. I'm 55 now and will retire at 65, hopefully with my investments intact.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by Bristoe
All of the recent interest in legalizing marijuana is because states need the tax revenue from it to pay government pensions.

That's a buncha BS too.

More and more we are seeing govt get VERY creative on new things to tax. Rain Tax, Pot Tax, and on and on....

No matter how much govt brings in, it will always grab for more.

Not enough taxes ISN'T the problem.

Govt spending IS the problem.

Government spending is the problem. Imagine the caravan from Central America. We are threatening to cut off foreign aid to those countries. Money we are borrowing from China, that our children are going to have to pay back. What a country, we have to import people to put on welfare. If It wasn’t happening I would not believe this KRAP was possible. Hasbeen

Last edited by hasbeen1945; 10/23/18.

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Just cut the money off, then we have money to build a wall to keep those pieces of cshit out.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
All retirement plans should be Defined Contribution. Defined Benefit plans should be illegal.

If you are on the taxpayers dole, I agree. I also believe Social Security should be privatized.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
easy way is to stop pensions all together. Make everyone go with a 401K type thing. Dump public employee pensions totally. Put them on a par with everyone else. They pay part of THEIR salary into a 401K. Screw this making millionaires out of garbage men, teachers and firemen.

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
long but interesting article on Kentucky's hail mary attempt to save their underfunded pensions during the financial crisis and how they got suckered

its a bad situation where one state pension is only 16% funded. Of course the legislature pension is still funded at 86%

https://theintercept.com/2018/10/21/kentucky-pensions-crisis-hedge-funds/

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KFWA
Of course the legislature pension is still funded at 86%

Of course. sick

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
easy way is to stop pensions all together. Make everyone go with a 401K type thing. Dump public employee pensions totally. Put them on a par with everyone else. They pay part of THEIR salary into a 401K. Screw this making millionaires out of garbage men, teachers and firemen.

If the actual cost of this was known to the general public, it would have been stopped long ago.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They're not making millionaires of too many garbage men. Most of those high dollar pension funds are in large cities with strong public employee unions. The plans are unfunded or at least way underfunded. They're millionaires on paper only and that doesn't spend very well.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mine is fully funded, company can't touch it. A stock market wipeout might put a dent in it but nothing else

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
it was all a good idea at the time, like vietnam early on. sweep up unemployed young men and teach them to fight the commies in that dirty little southeast asian war.

what could possibly go wrong with such a grand plan?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The company I worked for offered a 401 K matching up to 6%. You could contribute (or not) up to 10% of your salary which I did.
I controlled "MY" money and nobody stole a dime of it. I still have every penny of it which I had to roll over to an IRA when I retired.
Still making money off the dividends.
I realize it ain't some high end pension but I did the best I could with what was offered and I'm getting along fine and am beholding to no one.

O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

Met a guy working next door who was doing a bit of work for a couple of women - I forget who he worked for but he had to start paying 1 1/2% towards his own pension and lost his mind over it . He sued the county or state - decided he didn't need an attorney - went into court - judge threw the case because he didn't have the paperwork filled out correctly . Boiling mad over the court costs he corrected the paperwork thinking he had it all straight now - judge threw it out of court again - now paid court cost twice , seems like it was several hundred dollars each time . He was going back for thirds and I cheered him on .

He thought I was on his side until I asked him why he thought people like me should pay for his retirement and healthcare - he about had a heart attack -turned red and could barely speak he was so mad . I said - how about you pay for my retirement & heathcare I didn't get the care in healthcare out of my mouth and he yelled I'm not paying for your F'n retirement staring all wild eyed crazy .

Last edited by ol_mike; 10/24/18.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

217 members (44mc, aimhard, 300jimmy, 808outdoors, 325wsm1, 10Glocks, 18 invisible), 13,930 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,109
Posts18,541,958
Members74,057
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.