Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I use about 15% pork trim, which is not 100% fat.
At $5.99 per pound, I can't fathom using bacon in the mix.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by jbuck
Do you mix beef or pig fat into your elk burger?

Absolutely not. The whole point of elk meat is it is lean. If I wanted fatty burger I'd just buy beef and save the elk meat for some other user .. steaks, jerky, etc. Seems a horrible, egregious waste of an animal I have great respect for.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
J
jbuck Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
LOL, so anyone who mixes fat into THEIR elk is wasting it? Guess I should empty out my freezer.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Huntinut

Same here, the only need for fat is to make a burger hold together and we use 1 egg mixed in OR mix a bit of beef burger in with the elk. Most of our ground is used for other stuff and don't want/need the fat.

If you are grilling your elk burgers,only flip them once and they will stay together without added fat.

I am fighting high cholesterol and can't take statins. That is the big reason I don't add fat. Plus, I like the taste of elk. I figure adding fat to good elk meat is like adding ice or water to good bourbon

Adding beef or pork trimmings does not give you that waxy feeling in your moth when eating the burger, like adding straight beef or pork suet does

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by BWalker
15% beef fat. Have done pork fat as well, but prefer beef fat. Beef fat also stores longer.

Yep! Beef fat! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I use buffalo tallow. yum yum

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
nope I mix 1 lb of 80 % beef burger to 1 1/2 lbs. of elk burger ,I mix it as I use it other wise I just freeze elk burger in a 1 1/2 lb. burger packages.the only fat I would consider to mix with my elk is the prime rib fat of beef and never a bull ! and cow elk meat is much better than bull elk meat too !

Last edited by pete53; 10/24/18.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I grind elk 100% unaltered and have no trouble with it for grilling and other recipes.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I don't add anything, just pure meat...

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
That's what she said.....

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Can't think of any reason to add fat unless ones goal is to alter flavor.

the only need for fat is to make a burger hold together

Fats have little if any binding qualities. Fats are, however, the source of flavor. Chemically remove fat from meat and no one can identify its source.

Proteins bind things together. Do some surgery sometime on a fat critter and see how much success one has when attempting to suture layers of fat.

Have never had issues with burger (venison, elk, caribou, moose, pronghorn, or bear) falling apart. We grill everything turning only once.

Last edited by 1minute; 10/25/18.

1Minute
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by 1minute
Can't think of any reason to add fat unless ones goal is to alter flavor.

the only need for fat is to make a burger hold together

Fats have little if any binding qualities. Fats are, however, the source of flavor. Chemically remove fat from meat and no one can identify its source.

Proteins bind things together. Do some surgery sometime on a fat critter and see how much success one has when attempting to suture layers of fat.

I add to some burger primarily for burgers. I've never done surgery on a burger but I've cooked many that are straight elk as well as mixed. The straight elk is crumbly and can be a bit dry. With some fat it holds together better and is juicier. Much of the fat cooks out. Without any fat you will have better luck if you add some binding material like an egg and/or bread crumbs. I've taken to adding bacon ends or just bacon in a pinch as it does give a great flavor. This is only my family's opinion and I only make about 100-120 lbs of elk burger per year--the rest we use for roasts and a few steaks.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by headwatermike
I've never done surgery on a burger.......

LOL, me either, but I've taken some apart with surgical precision.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
We have always added 10% beef fat to venison. It make it stay together better for hamburgers and it is not so dry then.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You can do that but I put my 100% elk patties in tin foil and lay them on the grill. I turn them once and after about 3 minutes a side, I open the foil and slide out the burger. It will stay together now while you put the final "browning" on it.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
We go 1lb of beef fat to 5lbs of elk.... it makes great burgers.

[Linked Image]

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Adding fat to grind for binding purposes is a well established practice, and not only works for elk.
I believe that beef fat will change the flavor less than pork but many people feel pork fat improves the flavor.
I have inquired about grinding the elks own fat back into it and was advised against it. I was not really given a clear reason why not.
Personally I've eaten so much elk for so long that it has begun to taste ordinary. Beef or other game species taste exotic to me now and I've become more interested in various grind changes.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
No way!!!!!

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
+1 Dogshooter

this man knows what is RIGHT!!!!

5% is ok also.

We dice up onion, then add 1 table spoon of Liquid Smoke to 3 lbs of hamburger, salt and pepper, Hamburgers are to die for!!!

Last edited by keith; 10/25/18.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Prwlr
I like to use bacon ends about 15-20%.

That works very well with venison.

DF

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

432 members (007FJ, 22kHornet, 160user, 10Glocks, 1lesfox, 222ND, 37 invisible), 2,133 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,392
Posts18,469,896
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.