Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Redhill Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

I've had really good luck with this ammo on jackrabbits and large rock chucks, which I think is due to the size of the hollow point in this ammo, it seems very large. Sometimes that bullet profile can cause problems with feeding in the autos but to date all my autos have loved this stuff. It seems to kill bigger than a .22lr should.

I haven't seen any of it on the shelves lately in the 500 bulk pack that was basically silver.

Any insights on it ? I see it is still in the Winchester catalog but doesn't seem to show up on the shelves. Could it have been dropped or replaced and the website not updated ?

My supply is running low and some days I'm grabbing my 17HMR to conserve what I have left of my inventory on this ammo.

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've seen some lately in the shops. I normally don't pay much attention to it, but that nose profile is the same as the 222, 333, and 555 varieties, blunt and with a large HP. Personally, I've had no issues with it, but I wouldn't try it in a tube-fed rifle. I'd guarantee it would choke my old Marlin 60, which won't even feed PowerPoints worth a damn.

The bluntnosed 555s work great in my various pistols, and my CZs and Rugers. Since the bullet profile is the same, perhaps those loads will work equally well for you. I DO know they shoot better in my various rifles than Federal ammo in the bulk containers. You might try to find a 222 box and see how they do for you, if you like them, you could buy the larger containers.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Redhill Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
ratsmacker

Thanks for the post.

I looked at the ammo I was asking about and compared it to a box of my 333 ammo and, as you mentioned, the nose profile appears to be the same. The only difference I noticed was that the 333 had a copper wash applied to it and I don't know how that would affect the performance of the round. Any thoughts on that issue ??

I need to get out and pick up some of the 555 stuff now. Thanks again.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Since the bullets are just washed in copper, I doubt there's any real difference in performance from the unplated stuff. Accuracy might be effected a bit, (you never see copper-washed match .22 ammo, after all), but for hunting, I doubt it would make any difference whatsoever. If you've already got a 333 box, you can see for yourself, the 222s and 555s are the same ammo, in differing quantities. I really like that blunt bullet in my .22 pistols, you can hear it "whack" when it hits. I shot a sick coon with it, and it worked fine (he was as good as dead anyway, but I hurried him along) and the "WHACK" was audible I like that.

As an alternative, you might try to find some of the CCI MiniMag Segmented HPs, which split into three chunks when they hit (and they work even at Subsonic speeds, I killed a coon with the Subsonics this morning). The Segmented version of the MiniMag HP is the most accurate HV load in four out of five of my .22 rifles. They have a roundnosed profile, like any other MiniMag, but they DO split into three pieces when they hit. I don't know how well they'd do on an edible animal, but they are sure death on coons.

Last edited by ratsmacker; 10/24/18.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've got a bunch from Obama Panic 1, just shoot it in handguns for the most part. It's been reliable, at least much better than Fed bulk of the same vintage and the new 1435fps Winny stuff, both of which have FTF'd on me in multiple guns. Actually, I'm still working on the white box Wichester, with the silver in reserve. Believe I've seen some of the Winny at Walmart at times, not sure if 333 or the big box.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

59 members (14idaho, 6mmCreedmoor, 3dtestify, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 12 invisible), 1,453 guests, and 742 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,726
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.