Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Back when I was heavy into bullet casting, I had a long bed Toyota 1 ton 2WD, We had a big snow and I put studded snow tires on the back and put 5, 5 gallon buckets of wheel weights in the back. I pushed them up close to the cab and put a wood 4X4 across the front of the wheel wells to hold them in place. That thing would plow through the snow. My buddy at work had a Nissan 4WD pickup and he couldn't get out. I gave him rides to work every day until it cleared up.

You had to slow way down to turn it, though. It would just push the front wheels straight on regardless of how much they were turned if you didn't.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nothing comes close to studs and chains.

Didnt know there was a 1 ton 'Yota?

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

In any heavier accumulations of snows, ground clearance can be as much or more of a problem as traction.

High centered and at a stand-still on a snow drift, front wheels just spinning away, in the middle of nowhere, after dark, colder than all heck, is not a bit fun (BT-DT).

Point being, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to go ahead and get that truck of yours ready as a just in case 2nd back-up vehicle, too.

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by MadMooner

Yeah,...mine was an '86. They made them for several years. They were the same size as the other small toyota pick ups, but they had a big stack of leaf springs, a heavy duty clutch and 8 ply tires. They also had a 4:10 rear end. They only came with long beds, as far as I know.

Mine looked just like this one.

http://momentcar.com/image-model/93...ry_model_937_toyota-pickup-one-ton-2.jpg

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Bristoe
The more I think about it, the more inclined I am towards putting studded snow tires on the back of my F-150 and loading it down with concrete blocks for snow driving this winter.

If we get more than a few inches, I'm not going to feel right about her driving in it, anyway. I'll just have to assume the role of her chauffeur during those times.

That's the ticket.

If you can get a second set of rims cheaply, put the tires on all four corners. It greatly improves stopping.

I imagine when you get snow it wet, heavy, with ice below.

As mentioned, get skinny tires.

I use sand bags. They will get wet and freeze and become blocks. They tend to slide around less then blocks.

If you do use blocks make a frame in the bed to keep them tween the wheel wells.

eta: siping does next to nothing on snow. It helps a lot on hard surfaces where the cut corners have something to grab...like ice or wet pavement. Snow traction comes from lug corners.

Last edited by ironbender; 10/25/18.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My work van ....there work van ...it has some tires on it that I drove last winter and just rswaped them over for this winter. Dam thing gets a grip on the road as it drags on the cornners ...feels like im on velcro...sticky i tell ya. Last year I got the tires on after it snowed ..this year they been on darn near a month...and no snow or ice...that must be the reason I feel her sticking...

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
This thread is fugking hilarious.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by deflave
This thread is fugking hilarious.

In what way?

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Somebody asking advice on the best tires for snow driving is hilarious?

You're easily amused.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
No, the responses are, shall we say, dated... Tires are very good today, just buy a decent set of all-season (snow rated) tires and be done with it. They'll work all year.

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Blizzaks were the Cars meow growing up in Steamboat Springs, Colorado. +400”’of annual snowfall.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
It's got 215/60R16's on it now.

I have a set o'four studded snows from my daughter's car for sale.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Yeah,...mine was an '86. They made them for several years. They were the same size as the other small toyota pick ups, but they had a big stack of leaf springs, a heavy duty clutch and 8 ply tires. They also had a 4:10 rear end. They only came with long beds, as far as I know.

Had one back in the late 70s. TANK !!!!!.

Took a head on collision with an off duty cop in DC to kill it. (negro female) She lost her gun in the wreck. Both of us in the amberlamps and she sits up screaming"My gun,my gun. Where's my mother f'cking gun ? Things got interesting real quick as she had not ID'd herself up to that point. Happy ending but chit got real tense

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
I appreciate the offer,...but shipping and mounting (tires that weren't bought at the dealer) would make it an expensive venture.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 284LUVR

Had one back in the late 70s. TANK !!!!!.

Took a head on collision with an off duty cop in DC to kill it. (negro female) She lost her gun in the wreck. Both of us in the amberlamps and she sits up screaming"My gun,my gun. Where's my mother f'cking gun ? Things got interesting real quick as she had not ID'd herself up to that point. Happy ending but chit got real tense

A happy ending in the amberlamps?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Michelin X-Ice Tires

Just put them back on the wife’s vehicle for winter. They aren’t cheap, but they are the best IMO. Dramatic difference between this tire and an all season tire.

Reviews are everywhere.

Buy these.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yup. Broken sternum. But no smoochie with the black cop. blush

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Don't know how much snow you get down there in Kentucky. Up here in Central New York we average 125" of snow a year (over 200" 30 miles north up on the Tug Hill), with a lot of lake effect and nor-easters. All season tires suck in snow and ice, no matter what they are on. The $hitheads that run all seasons just end up holding everyone else up.

My new plow truck came with all seasons. Half way through my first plow season I had to get better tires. Went with Goodyear Duratrac's.

A lot of guys use Blizzaks with really good results. Michelin and Goodyear also make good snow tires as well.

Good luck, NYH1.

Take nothing I say personal, remember....it's just the interweb!

ROLLTIDE

YANKEE'S

new yorkistan SUCKS!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Nokian Hakkapelita (sp?). Run them with studs and without most winters.

Ran 2 outfits with blizzacks last year. Much prefer the Nokians.

For reference, I drive in excess of 30k in the winter throughout the northwest and upper Great Plains. You will not catch me
In the winter without dedicated snow/ice tires anymore.

Montana MOFO
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Hudge
I know lots of people in Alaska rage about Bridgestone Blizzaks for the snow. Nokian Ipikes with or without the studs are supposed to be good tires as well. I think my son is running Nokian's on his truck this winter.

iPikes are Hankook. And a very nice tire. Easily worth the money that they cost, which is a good bit less than Nokians or Blizzaks

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (10ring1, 1_deuce, 160user, 257robertsimp, 10gaugeman, 222Sako, 67 invisible), 4,178 guests, and 1,114 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,582
Posts18,532,275
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.