Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Just picked up a Christensen Arms Mesa in 6.5... weighs in a little over listed weight. Shoots well below MOA with factory ammo. I’m super pleased. It’s actually a little easier to shoot than my Kimber Montana because of the slight increase in weight. I might get the LR Mesa in 28 Nosler and see what it can do.

GB1

N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
I've currently got a Remington 700 243 all done by LRI Sendero fluted contour 20" barrel threaded for my suppressor. With an edge stock and a 22oz scope it weighs in at 9.3lbs.

I did see CA has a 22" 6.5 in the steel barrel, its threaded 1/2" is what the add says though..

“One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it" -Jose Ortega y Gasset

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yep. It’s the Mesa and it is 1/2. Neat rifle though.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Very nice SAS! Looks like a wicked set up.

Semper Fi
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Nhunt46051
I've currently got a Remington 700 243 all done by LRI Sendero fluted contour 20" barrel threaded for my suppressor. With an edge stock and a 22oz scope it weighs in at 9.3lbs.

I did see CA has a 22" 6.5 in the steel barrel, its threaded 1/2" is what the add says though..

I have one and it is just a great shooting rifle. I took the muzzle brake off it , not needed

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not a single quality issue with my Barrett; it's perfect. It's not, however, easy to bench, at least not yet, and it's only a 6. I bought it to hunt (carry). Got other stuff for prolonged shooting. There are other rifles in that price bracket that appeal to me, but none at just over 5 pounds I know of. Bergara customs look good in the photos, Sakos, 2 Tikkas maybe. $1800 is a lot of money to pay for someone else's notion of a proper rifle, especially with a short stock that will likely have to be fixed or replaced.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm kicking around the idea of buying a new hunting rifle, I mostly stand hunt in Indiana, but also enjoy plinking on the range a bit out to extended distances.

I'm eyeing a Barrett Fieldcraft ($1540) and a Kimber Montana ($1140) both in 6.5 Creedmoor. Just not sure about the 5lb weight of them both...

There is also a wildcard in for consideration that really has my interest but has a few things that turn me off.... Winchester 70 ($1800) PF in 6.5x55 with a 20" Proof barrel threaded for my suppressor, McMillan Varmint Stock, great looking gun very well put together weighs in 2lbs heavier then the 2 before mentioned guns. The only thing turning me off is it has a 13" LOP... not sure what difference that makes as I'm a bigger guy? I also think the extra 2 lbs might be a positive for shooting along with the gun still being short and maneuverable. I'm also not very familiar with that round but do know Lapua brass is reasonable for it and can buy loaded lapua ammo for it...

Whatever gun I purchase will likely go on a elk hunt next year in CO also.

I will probably be mounting a Zeiss V6 from RickBin on whatever gun I purchase as he's offering a smoking deal on those! Obviously the Montana is going to give me the most extra $$ for this purchase..

I know there are a lot of Fieldcraft and Montana owners on here so lets here it... I have not been able to hold a Fieldcraft yet. Thanks for any input/insight!

My 308 Kimber MT does not always produce great groups But it always puts the first 2 into about 1/2 inch, Perfect hunting rifle/ Kimber MT stock is top notch too

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
👌

[Linked Image]

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by ammoman16
Originally Posted by yukon254
No experience with the Barrett, but my next rifle will be something from Europe, likely a Sako. US made guns are severely lacking in the quality control department, at least the last couple I bought were.

Let me get this clear. You're making this statement based on 2 guns?

No far from it. In my line of work you get to see a lot of rifles in field conditions. There is a lot of junk out there, and not all of them are cheap models. Had a guy with a high end Cooper on a grizzly hunt two years back. After the first shot the gun failed to feed. Luckily the first shot killed the bear. That was one day one. The guy did the rest of the hunt with a very expensive single shot. I've had 3 Rugers in the last 5 years. I like them, but every laminated stock has cracked just behind the tang. Im bedding my 308 scout right now and its cracked badly. The action is unbelievably rough, so that will take some work. When I compare that to a Tikka T3 that I own, or some of the Sakos I see, I have to wonder why we put up with such poor quality here in NA. Yea the Tikka has a lot of plastic on it, but the action is smooth as silk, and if you ever inspect the inside of the barrel with a borescope you will understand why they shoot so well. The bores look like cut glass they are so smooth. I have two, and both are extremely accurate with just about any bullet weight.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
I’d say go 20” or less with whatever you choose. I have a Christensen Arms Ridgeline in 6.5 Creedmoor I’ve been playing with. I really like the rifle and it shoots little bitty groups. The only downside - the 24” barrel with a suppressor. It’s a long beast to be carrying around in the woods, but I’m doing it anyway. Pic below to represent length with suppressor:

[Linked Image]

There was a run of 20" Ridgelines in 308. Maybe they will do a run in 6.5's

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/CA10260-412411

IC B3

N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Do those ridgelines come with 30mm rings? That 20" 308 has my attention

Last edited by Nhunt46051; 10/26/18.

“One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it" -Jose Ortega y Gasset

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Do those ridgelines come with 30mm rings? That 20" 308 has my attention

No rings.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I've never handled the Fieldcraft but it gets great reviews from guys here who's opinions I respect. I have owned several Montanas I know they don't get a lot of love on the Campfire but for stand hunting in Indiana a CO Elk hunt and having fun shooting groups at the range I'd buy an X Bolt Hells Canyon. Still a pretty light rifle I've never seen one that wouldn't shoot out of the box or that had a QC issue.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E

Originally Posted by Formidilosus

The internal temperature of the barrel is the same whether it’s a #1 barrel or 1.25” the whole way.

Ok now you have me thinking real early in the morning. I thought the point of a heavy barrel was to better absorb/disperse heat. Same with a fluted barrel providing more surface area to disperse heat. Is the only downside to too much heat a change in POI? If you are telling me I don't need to worry about my barrel getting too hot, this is great news.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

529 members (1moredeer, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 65 invisible), 2,606 guests, and 1,376 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,448
Posts18,470,996
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.