DW7 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Originally Posted by DW7
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Originally Posted by deflave
Canning meat was a big game changer for us. IMO the easiest and most practical way to process a lot of game.

Yup. Put your spices, if any, on top of the meat in the jar and process for 110 minutes at 10psi. It will keep for years.

We made moose meat brats one year and couldn't get enough fresh casings so we canned about 25 lbs of it. Came out great!

Ed

Those numbers change with altitude. Just FYI.

Yes they do!

USDA says 90 minutes for quarts at sea level, but we do all meat and fish for 110 minutes using 10# weight, so altitude doesn't come into play. Just remember one setting and go for it!

Ed

I'm at 6k ft where its 14lbs for 90 minutes with quart jars.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DW7
I had the same fear RH, it's really simple and safe with a modern pressure cooker. Multiple relief valves. Just follow the simple directions for your altitude, cooking time and pressure. If you pull a jar off the shelf and you can pop the lid before opening chuck it. The thing I found interesting is it'll continue to boil in the jar after pulling them out of the pot for half an hour. Let the pressure drop on it's own before opening the cooker lid, I guess would be an additional tip, but it's really all in the booklet you get when you buy a cooker. Check out that link I posted earlier, pretty informative.

Old science trick to get kids thinking was to boil water in a flask by pouring hot water in the flask and rubbing it with snow (or ice) and watching as the snow makes the water boil...

The boiling point of water is pressure dependent (the old P=V/T formula) and the lower the pressure the lower the boiling point. Theoretical boiling point of water in a vacuum is something on the order of -46 degrees.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Several points... I have found a huge difference between the flavor of meat that has been browned before canning and canned raw. I will not can it unless it has been browned, even though it is a PITA extra step.

I have also gone to retort bags instead of jar. They are the same as MRE bags. Put your food in the bag and seal it in a vacuum packer. Then it is packed in the canner and cooked just like jars. Because the bags fit better in the pressure cooker you get a WHOLE LOT more bags in there than you would jars. No more storing huge quantities of jars and lids and you can just drop the whole bag in boiling water to heat it up.

There are lots of YouTube videos on retort bag canning.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by DW7
I had the same fear RH, it's really simple and safe with a modern pressure cooker. Multiple relief valves. Just follow the simple directions for your altitude, cooking time and pressure. If you pull a jar off the shelf and you can pop the lid before opening chuck it. The thing I found interesting is it'll continue to boil in the jar after pulling them out of the pot for half an hour. Let the pressure drop on it's own before opening the cooker lid, I guess would be an additional tip, but it's really all in the booklet you get when you buy a cooker. Check out that link I posted earlier, pretty informative.

Old science trick to get kids thinking was to boil water in a flask by pouring hot water in the flask and rubbing it with snow (or ice) and watching as the snow makes the water boil...

The boiling point of water is pressure dependent (the old P=V/T formula) and the lower the pressure the lower the boiling point. Theoretical boiling point of water in a vacuum is something on the order of -46 degrees.

Left out the critical step of putting in a stopper after pouring in the hot water.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Guy 57 cans venison
a few weeks ago he came over with some mixed in a bowl with miracle whip and onions on crackers it was awesome
He has given me cans in the past its very good

I need to start doing it myself also
Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DW7
I'd bet theres some vets on here that'll tell you they've eatin 20 or 30yr old canned food while serving!

Dad told me when he went into Africa the rations they were eating were from just after the end of WWI.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The most important fact about canning venison is that the better the meat you put into the jar, the better the meat will be that comes out of the jar. You need to trim all of the tallow, as even a tiny piece will taint the whole jar, tendons and blood shot meat will do the same, take your time and use good quality clean meat and you will not be disappointed.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
A simple and delicious stew.

Place your meat in the bottom of the qt. jar, about 1 1/2 -2 inches high. lightly pack with canning plunger to remove air.

add:
potatoes
onions
carrots
celery
seasonings
whatever you like in your stew.

Fill with water or broth.
Can according to directions (12 lbs-90 minuets)

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
A couple questions for you canning guys.

1) After the 90 minutes, do you follow the directions and let the pressure reduce naturally, or do you remove the weight and release it immediately?

2) All canning instructions say to never add starches like Rice or Noodles, or even flour as a thickener. Why. all the instruction say is "don't, it will not hold up", whatever that means.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I find that following the directions helps your survival rate while canning and reloading. So yes, I leave the weigh on. Botulism is not your friend. We've canned many many batches with nary an issue for many years. Usually August is canning time when we get the previous years remaining venison out of the freezer and on the shelf. Highly recommend.

IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Good stuff TT, Wifey cans deer venison just like that, I drained a jar a couple weeks ago, dumped it into a skillet, poured in some homemade vinegar bbq sauce she makes, warmed it up and dumped it on a big slab of homemade wheat bread toasted, then covered it with another slice of toast, it's the kind f sandwich you have to build and eat in a bowl, a really good, fast hot supper, two cold beers, a few whole jalapenos and a fork is all it takes! smile

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have enough home-canned goods in my basement to carry me through a nuclear winter.
One of our favorite quick dishes is a pint of canned venison warmed in a pan, add a pkg of brown gravy mix and water, pour over rice, noodles or bread.

I can half of it plain with just meat. 1/4 of it with a spoonful of Weber garlic and herb and I'll do the last 1/4 pretty hot but I'm the only one who enjoys it that way.

This winter I plan to can a bunch of chili and stew in addition to lots of meat. The heat and serve convenience during the busy summer months is appealing.

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by steve4102
A couple questions for you canning guys.

1) After the 90 minutes, do you follow the directions and let the pressure reduce naturally, or do you remove the weight and release it immediately?

2) All canning instructions say to never add starches like Rice or Noodles, or even flour as a thickener. Why. all the instruction say is "don't, it will not hold up", whatever that means.

I have always let the pressure reduce naturally and not remove the weight. Wanting to be sure my meat is safe to eat, I followed instructions. Cutting corners is not worth getting sick over.

I have read that too about starches. I have never experiment to see why. If they say it does not hold up I follow their advise.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by jimy
The most important fact about canning venison is that the better the meat you put into the jar, the better the meat will be that comes out of the jar. You need to trim all of the tallow, as even a tiny piece will taint the whole jar, tendons and blood shot meat will do the same, take your time and use good quality clean meat and you will not be disappointed.

This is so true. Same with smoked salmon. Brightest freshest fish make the best smoked salmon. As far as the canning goes, yes we brine it and do everything like we are smoking it. Put it in the smoker and when it about 1/2 of what you think is done, take it out and can it.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I just told the wife we should do this and she wrinkled up her nose like a cow farted in her face. She said she used to have a neighbor that canned meat and it "looked disgusting."

"Did you try it?"

"No"

Wimmin...

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
He left stuff on his meat that I cut off but the meal he made looks good.

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
This thread motivated me to go run my last bag of odds and ends from last deer season through the canner in half pints. They’ll be lunch with some spicy crackers on the mountain next week during the CO third rifle season.

J
J23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I haven't "froze" anything deer meat, save for a few neck roasts, in years. I cut out the straps and loins, cube and can the rest. The heart, liver, tongue, kidneys, straps and loins usually get eaten within a few days to a week. I cube it, do a rinse to rid the meat of excess blood, cold pack with no water, and into the pressure canner they go. I do pints because it's more practical, but my buddy does quarts as he has more mouths to feed. He uses a tablespoon of salt, I don't.

A few weeks back, I cracked the seal on a pint from 2012 (must have missed it in the rotation.) It was just fine.

I can a lot of potatoes, tomatoes, corn and peppers from the garden, along with jams, soups, sauces and just about everything else. My problem is, I run out of places to stow it in my little cabin.

Originally Posted by acy
Always have a bunch of canned venison on hand. I also have a dozen or so jars of canned squirrel meat. When boneless, skinless chicken breast is on sale, try canning a bunch of that. Makes for quick, easy sandwiches, soups, tacos etc..... Shame that canning is becoming less common. I figure my wife and I could live about two years just on what we have canned.

Care to share your technique for canning the squirrel? I've always wanted to try it, but never have.

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've been thinking about getting into canning as well, but know "0" about it. Are there any pressure canners that are recommended? Any to stay away from? Looks like there is one by "All American" that are USA made, but a little pricey. They do have fantastic reviews though.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 1moredeer, 22250rem, 10ring1, 64 invisible), 2,160 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,029
Posts18,481,863
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.