Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#13262212 11/07/18
V
viking Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
So it looks like I am leaning toward relocating to Michigan, the Eaton Rapids area. I am looking to start over after a divorce (25 years).

So what can you Michigan members suggest/advise. Yeah, I know it snows, I am more interested in day to day life, Hunting and firearms does and don'ts. Is it a CHL state or open carry etc.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you are looking for a quiet little farm town, you are going to the right place in Eaton Rapids. I have been deer hunting there for the last 8 years on a 300 acre farm and have shot some very nice animals. CWD Restricted zone this year, if that matters to you.

Personally I would probably move to saline area in Washtenaw county, but that's me.

good luck to you.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
You can open carry in Michigan however it is rare to see. Just apply and get a CCW permit. no problem. Eaton Rapids area is very nice if you like slow small town area. Its about half hour from Lansing and Jackson so not far to get what you need in the city, so to speak. Lots to see and do in Michigan. Great fishing, The Hunting is ok for Deer and we have a decent black bear population. Small Elk herd, the bear and elk licenses are draw. Lots of water if you like water sports, boating, Kayaking, Good Hiking Feel free to drop me a line and we can talk. If you are tied to Eaton Rapids that is good but there are lots of areas to consider based on what your likes are.

Still trying to be the Man my dogs think I am
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Transporting long guns might be different. They must be cased or in the trunk and unloaded in the chamber and magazine.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Divorce is bad enough. There's no reason to make it worse by moving to Michigan.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Eaton Rapids is a nice area. I used to have a stop on my route there a couple years ago. Puts you not far from Lansing if u need big town stuff but its a small town for sure. CPL is a one day class u gotta take. All the fishing/water stuff you want in Michigan. U have to remember for deer hunting anything south of M-57 is shotgun/pistol for deer so Eaton Rapids is gonna be shotgun zone but puts you about 30 minutes south of the rifle line.

Last edited by k20350; 11/07/18.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by viking
So it looks like I am leaning toward relocating to Michigan, the Eaton Rapids area. I am looking to start over after a divorce (25 years).

So what can you Michigan members suggest/advise. Yeah, I know it snows, I am more interested in day to day life, Hunting and firearms does and don'ts. Is it a CHL state or open carry etc.

Well it looks like you'll make the next Michigan get together. I can't say much more than rylee1 Michigan is a real pretty place away from the city, lots of rural farmland and lots of forests.

You can use a rifle for Deer season throughout the state except in the "Shotgun Zone" a rifle must be of 35 cal or larger and have a minimum case length of 1.16 and a maximum case length of 1.80 inches.

What made you choose the Eaton Rapids area?

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

V
viking Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Thanks guys. The town is actually Springport.

Looks like I will be in the shotgun/pistol zone, time to dust off the Andaconda.

My SIL was saying something about doe tags, on farms, almost like cull tags. At least that's what I thought he was saying.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by 12344mag

Well it looks like you'll make the next Michigan get together. I can't say much more than rylee1 Michigan is a real pretty place away from the city, lots of rural farmland and lots of forests.

You can use a rifle for Deer season throughout the state except in the "Shotgun Zone" a rifle must be of 35 cal or larger and have a minimum case length of 1.16 and a maximum case length of 1.80 inches.

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the "Shotgun Zone?" Or did you forget a period after "zone?"

Last edited by Rooster7; 11/07/18.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My SIL was saying something about doe tags, on farms, almost like cull tags. At least that's what I thought he was saying.

Yes, in some areas as long as you have permission from the land owner you may get a doe tag for their chunk of land.

Here is the Antlerless guide for 2018.

For some reason I can't seem to attach the guide. Pm me you email address and I'll send it to you.

Originally Posted by Rooster7

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the "Shotgun Zone?" Or did you forget a period after "zone?"

It is now called Limited Firearms Deer Zone, known by most and still called Shotgun Zone. Hunters are a stubborn bunch you know that......

Last edited by 12344mag; 11/07/18.

Paul

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

Yes, in some areas as long as you have permission from the land owner you may get a doe tag for their chunk of land.

Here is the Antlerless guide for 2018.

For some reason I can't seem to attach the guide. Pm me you email address and I'll send it to you.

Originally Posted by Rooster7

It is now called Limited Firearms Deer Zone, known by most and still called Shotgun Zone. Hunters are a stubborn bunch you know that......

Gotcha

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

R
Roc Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
And I believe you can use a centerfire rifle without the deer season restrictions on the cartridge from Dec. 1--Nov.9 in the "shotgun zone".

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What Bristoe said. I can’t wait to move away from this state.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ted Nugent isn’t happy about the way the midterm elections turned out in his home state of Michigan. The 69-year-old rocker known for his conservative views shared his frustration on Facebook Wednesday.

“Real God country family Michiganiacs are heartbroke that more of us want the once great state of Michigan to turn into a California s***hole,” he wrote. “Downright insane cultural suicide. Thanks for nothing a**holes.”

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
V
viking Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Does Michigan have a wolf problem, season?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Yes.........No

There are folks working on it.

Paul

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The same formula as always. 3 counties control the entire state.

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I were moving to MI I’d probably pick the west side of the state between grand haven and traverse city and west of 75. Big area but beautiful and more conservative then the east side of the state. Tons of hunting opportunities all over the state with some places better than others. All the fishing you can handle.

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I know a guy who lives in that first town. It ain't so bad... wink

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Yes.........No

There are folks working on it.

Shhhhh....

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

625 members (1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 160user, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 60 invisible), 15,943 guests, and 994 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,197
Posts18,543,507
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.