Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Bullet failure.....

Is that the same as Projectile Dysfunction?

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
I consider it bullet failure when the bullet fails to perform in the manner expected given the design of the bullet, speed, range, and tissue/bone hit. I've had three times I'd consider the results bullet failure because the bullet didn't perform in accordance to it's design (or my intended implementation of it's design). All 3 times ended up with dead animals though. Just my simple definition of it and it's very subjective......I ain't webster's....

Wisdom

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Bullet failure.....

laugh laugh laugh R O F

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"Bullet failure" is the failure of a bullet to perform in the manner for which it was designed and marketed, My definition, others may vary.

For example:
* The tip falls out of a tipped bullet before it impacts a target (including before even being fired).
* A bullet designed to provide high weight retention, even if bone is hit, instead disintegrates and weight retention is low.

Massive exit wounds are NOT necessarily due to bullet failure. A bullet hitting bone can cause bone fragments to blow a fist-sized exit. BTDT, with monos.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bbear
I think JCMCUBIC pretty much nailed it. I have had 6 times that I can remember where the bullet failed to accomplish what the design was intended - 3 times with a partition on the same deer. POA/POI was the point of the shoulder and the bullet penciled through but broke the deer's back. Caliber sized entrance and exit. Shot # 2 was through the neck at 75 yards - caliber-sized entrance and exit. Shot # 3 was through the ribs, breaking one on entrance and on exit with caliber-sized entrance and exit wounds. Ended up having to cut the deer's throat. All with a 25-06. Initial shot was 150 yards.
The other three were with Barnes bullets.
The original bullet out of the same 25-06. Through the shoulder on entrance and exit with caliber-size entrance and exit on a whitetail at 100 yards. Next two times with a 7mm-08 and the TTSX bullets penciling through the shoulder on a 125 yard and 175 yard shot on two different deer. All three deer were found the next day.

Doesn't condemn either bullet, just for some reason, they didn't do what they were designed to do. I still use the Partitions in a couple of rifles.

Entrance and exit holes don’t tell the whole story. The wound channel in between them is a better indicator of terminal performance.

IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Rephrase as "bullet company failure".

When a company advertises a certain bullet as a "big game bullet", most will rightly assume that it will work fine for deer with any given shot opportunity. That just isn't reality. Hornady isn't the only one to blame. Winchester and Nosler have done it, Speer and Sierra have done it. It can be factory ammo or component bullets.

Or, in some cases it is the consumer, using the wrong bullets for the wrong application. Sure, a 130 grain hollow point out of a 300 Win. Mag. will kill a deer with a broadside lung shot, so will a 22 LR. That's not the point. Having a entrance hole you could throw a softball through isn't really great performance for a big game bullet.

You have to think of the worst case scenario, and the worst thing that could happen with a shot, or sometimes, the only shot opportunity that arises. Many bullets on the market will not get sufficient penetration when it is needed. Having a bullet stay in an animal has nothing to do with how much energy that animal "absorbed". The energy is transferring along the entire path, starting when the skin on the entrance hole is pierced.

Here in Michigan, the hot cartridge is the 450 Bushmaster. There have been probably 10,000 or more sold here in the past few years. However, 95%+ hunters are using the Hornady 250 grain FTX factory load in either the black or custom ammo box (same exact load, different marketing). They took a muzzleloader bullet, and loaded it in the 450. And the actual field results are not good. Numerous reports of lack of penetration, bullets fragmenting, and no exits, even on broadside shots. This is a 250 grain bullet at 2200 FPS. Pretty pathetic coming from a company like Hornady. Yes, the choice of that bullet was a failure, on the part of Hornady. The accuracy is great, but that can't be credited just to the bullet.

Last edited by KenMi; 11/08/18.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have collected and studied terminal performance for decades. I have in excess of 200 bullets recovered from game animals. Many from clients when I was an elk guide. I use almost exclusively Nosler Partions after watching other types fail. In the last decade I have been trying conventional bullets just because. This year I has a failure in a 250 Savage used on a mule deer doe. I shot her facing me slightly quartering. The bullet was the world renowned Remington Cor-Lokt round nose. Impact velocity was estimated at 2500 fps. The bullet hit one small rib and then came apart. I recovered the jacket from the stomach cavity and after 3 attempts with metal detectors I was unable to find the core. And no it did not kill her. About a half hour later I tracked her down and finished her off as she was walking away.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Bullet failure.....

Crap that's funny......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For me, varmint bullets that fail to come apart and big game bullets that do are both examples of "bullet failure".

Not what I want either of them to do and i try to choose accordingly.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 11/08/18. Reason: 'fail' not 'fails'

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by baldhunter
Bullet failure to me is when a bullet hit an animal in what should be a fatal location.blows up at entry,fails to penetrate as it should and the animal would have not been recovered if a second fatal shot had not killed the animal.

X2 when an adequate caliber and bullet weight/construction was used for the intended game

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a 7mm 140 grain Barnes TSX not open on a grizzly once. The tip got bent when it entered and it just bounced around in there like a FMJ. I recovered the bullet under the hide on the same side that it entered.

The bear still died, but it was a bit of a rodeo.

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I think JCMCUBIC pretty much nailed it. I have had 6 times that I can remember where the bullet failed to accomplish what the design was intended - 3 times with a partition on the same deer. POA/POI was the point of the shoulder and the bullet penciled through but broke the deer's back. Caliber sized entrance and exit. Shot # 2 was through the neck at 75 yards - caliber-sized entrance and exit. Shot # 3 was through the ribs, breaking one on entrance and on exit with caliber-sized entrance and exit wounds. Ended up having to cut the deer's throat. All with a 25-06. Initial shot was 150 yards.

Thats what partitions are supposed to do. enter, expand and disperse the front half and the rear shank keeps on trucking with caliber size exit.

J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I had another bullet failure today here in Montana

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I say the shooter decides what constitutes a failure. I have certain expectations of the bullets I shoot. If I shoot a Nosler Partition out of my 6.5x55 at 2800 FPS and it blows apart penetrating only 6 inches into the vitals, that's a failure to me irrespective of whether or not the animal dies. I know people who would be thrilled with the performance as long as the deer died. They wouldn't hold any curiosity of what became of the bullet after the deer dropped.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by joken2

The only time I've experienced what I believe might could've been considered "bullet failure" was a factory Federal 30/30, 150 grain Silvertip that just 'penciled' through a deer.
The deer showed none of the usual characteristics of getting hit and just ran more like spooked by the sound of the gunshot.

It made it a good ways before falling dead, head downhill, in a soybean field. Bullet struck high on the left shoulder, passed through side of heart, through one lung, the liver, and exited just past the off side rib cage. No sign of expansion or fragmentation. Entrance and exit holes both looked as if it could've been shot with a practice target point arrow.

Federal didn't make Silvertips, Winchester did. I killed alot of deer with 170 gr. .30-30 Silvertips and always got quick kills with good expansion from them. They were my favorite until Winchester discontinued them a few years ago.

Last edited by Blackheart; 11/08/18.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by joken2

The only time I've experienced what I believe might could've been considered "bullet failure" was a factory Federal 30/30, 150 grain Silvertip that just 'penciled' through a deer.
The deer showed none of the usual characteristics of getting hit and just ran more like spooked by the sound of the gunshot.

It made it a good ways before falling dead, head downhill, in a soybean field. Bullet struck high on the left shoulder, passed through side of heart, through one lung, the liver, and exited just past the off side rib cage. No sign of expansion or fragmentation. Entrance and exit holes both looked as if it could've been shot with a practice target point arrow.

Federal didn't make Silvertips, Winchester did. I killed alot of deer with 170 gr. .30-30 Silvertips and always got quick kills with good expansion from them. They were my favorite until Winchester discontinued them a few years ago.

They were my favorites too.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
The other three were with Barnes bullets.
The original bullet out of the same 25-06. Through the shoulder on entrance and exit with caliber-size entrance and exit on a whitetail at 100 yards. Next two times with a 7mm-08 and the TTSX bullets penciling through the shoulder on a 125 yard and 175 yard shot on two different deer. All three deer were found the next day.

Doesn't condemn either bullet, just for some reason, they didn't do what they were designed to do. I still use the Partitions in a couple of rifles.

Entrance and exit holes don’t tell the whole story. The wound channel in between them is a better indicator of terminal performance.

Jordan, The wound channel matched the entrance/exit wounds.

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Neither guns nor Liberals have a brain.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.
J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ChetAF
I had a 7mm 140 grain Barnes TSX not open on a grizzly once. The tip got bent when it entered and it just bounced around in there like a FMJ. I recovered the bullet under the hide on the same side that it entered.

The bear still died, but it was a bit of a rodeo.

Chet, I hear of more “failures” with monos than anything

Last edited by Judman; 11/08/18.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
There is really no such thing....it always fall back to the shooter....if a bullet fails it was still the shooters poor choice of said bullet for a situation.
I have had several bullets blow up on impact....always my fault , poor choice in bullet for that given situation...
Som say the old cor loc tend to fail but has not been my experience..

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Rainierrifleco. , the older Rem Cor-Lokts had a thicker jacket and kind of a thicker band at the cannalure. Stating around 1970 the Cor-Lokts just became a thin jacketed standard cup and core bullet. If you look at Remington catalogs from before and after the early 70.s they show pictures of their sectioned bullets and you can see the older had heavier jackets and a waist. Their round nose has a heavier jacket than their pointed bullets. I have had terrible luck with Remington bullets in the past and this years experience even with older round nose has left a bad taste in my mouth. I have seen maybe a 100 head of big game, mainly mule deer and elk shot with Partitions and have never seen a failure. Many people believe they didn't expand because the exit hole is small. They have a very thin jacket at the nose for rapid expansion and usually loose the front lead, and the jacket peels back to just barely larger than caliber for a deep penetrating flat nose solid. Judman had heard that some monos have failed. I had one fail on a broadside lung shot mule deer. The bullet was a VERY early Barnes and they had this problem that the supposedly have corrected.

Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

637 members (007FJ, 1minute, 1936M71, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1234, 66 invisible), 2,850 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,186
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.