Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Yup..Fall of 62. Actually had fun going through basic..really enjoyed shooting the M-1.

GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
In 1963, my high school best bud and I were on our way by train to Lackland AFB, TX for basic training. It was a hot summer there, for sure.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wabigoon
In 1963 I was on my way by rail to basic training at Fort Leonard Wood. What an undesirable hole that was then.

Any others have the misfortune of serving at the fort?

Yes. June, July and part of August 1973.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Basic and AIT in the summer of 70. Hot and humid. The training was a joke. They were running them through as fast as they could so they could ship them off to Nam. I was NG and came home. I always felt sorry for those who went into combat with the poor training we had. All they cared about was filling quotas of warm bodies. One week of combat would teach them (the survivors, that is) more than FLW taught them in 16 weeks.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER
Originally Posted by watch4bear
I remember it being the coldest place on the planet. I was never warm there.

I used to deer hunt near there and you are right.

Then I started hunting in Northern Missouri and found out what real cold was all about...

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Basic training jan 1956 cold and wet all the time...

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
I, and I guess all of us had to blow on the ice on the peep sights in November. and December.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GeoW
Originally Posted by FOsteology
Spent my last two years of HS there. Joined the Reserves while still in HS (split option) and was assigned to the 25th MASH unit and worked at the hospital on weekends.

Dad was training knuckleheads in the "Million dollar hole".

Well remember TA-214 known better as the Million dollar hole. Hell I dug part of it!

g

What time period?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I did basic training there in August of 1994. I freaking loved it! Yes it was hot. Best Drill Sgt's...SFC Anthony Smith, SSG Longcor, SSG Blair. Cant remember the batallion, I would have to check my letters home during that time period.

My one regret is that I wish I would have done a stint RA instead of all NG. Kind a wish I could do it again.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GeoW
Spent my last two years of HS there. Joined the Reserves while still in HS (split option) and was assigned to the 25th MASH unit and worked at the hospital on weekends.

Well remember TA-214 known better as the Million dollar hole. Hell I dug part of it!

g

What time period?

Oct70-Feb71

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

IC B3

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I did AIT there the Summer of 67. They trained me to operate a Road Grader and after AIT they stationed me there permanent party in the Concrete Paving Equipment Operators Course. They did not even have a road grader in the outfit. One cold February day in 1968 we were chipping dried concrete off of steel forms when the SFC in charge walked in and said he needed 2 volunteers to try out for the FLW rifle team. I jumped to my feet and volunteered. For the next several months we shot the National Match Course twice a day and once on Saturday. I also was exempt from the duty roster. I went on to shoot the 5th Army Matches in Fort Riley and shot well enough to make the 5th Army Team for a few months. When I returned 1st Sgt Crabtree was so pleased one of his engineering troops made the 5th Army team that he put me in for soldier of the month and I even made it. They promised me a $50 savings bond but I never saw it.

It got to minus 20 F one week during the winter and froze the propane lines to the furnace. All we had was 2 wool blankets and our long johns. That was one cold night. They had to move us to an old barracks that still had a coal fired furnace for the rest of the week.

I remember sitting on the roof of the barracks watching the lighting storms off in the distance. That is the only place I have seen Lightning Bugs. One of the troops was from Kentucky. He paid a visit to a black whore and caught a case of the crabs. He did not want to see the medic as he would be reported and get in trouble. So he stripped naked and proceeded to rub a bunch of stuff on his crotch. As I recall it was a mixture of aquavelva rubbing alcohol and what ever else he could find. When he finished he literally ran around the barracks twice screaming and then he sat on his foot locker picking out the dead crabs.

Yes I remember Little Korea well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My cousin Nathan is a drill instructor there right now. He enjoys his work. He has been nominated best DI at least once. Not bad for a Canadian boy from Strathmore Alberta. (His mother is American, so he chose the US Army.) He is very fit.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
May-July 1988,Basic Training, 1992, EOBC, 1997 EOAC. Didn’t leave anything there, so no need to go back. But my CG wants me to be an MP now, so there may be one more trip in my future. Yikes.

Old70

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

I did an Army Reserve active duty tour there.

I remember a canoe trip down the Big Piney River. Our guys flew a Huey for 10 miles, located a bridge for us to meet a duce and a half for the canoes and trip back to base..

Well, we paddled and paddled. Beautiful scenery, still water, fast water. All day we paddled. It was dark when we arrived at the bridge.

Ten miles by chopper turned out to be 26 miles by river.

Took a bit longer than expected, We were tired.

DF

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Basic training, the summer of 1985.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Back in 63, and the old coal heated barracks, , I learned quickly when that fireman with the red helmet liner headed to the shower, I'd best as well if I wanted any hot water.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Basic training there, Feb-Apr 97. Went to much worse places than there in my 20 years.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got a buddy that's retired AF and is a GS on Ft. Leonard Wood. He's asked me several times if I wanted a job there with him when I retired from the AF myself. The wife usually answers him quicker than I can, with "Hell no"! Can it be that bad, I spent 3 years at Ft. Hood though. The oldest son may be heading there next summer if all goes right, as he's looking to join the Army Guard to help pay for college.

Last edited by Hudge; 11/13/18.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I completed basic there in 1985 and then was off to Ft Jackson. My son completed basic and AIT there in 2005.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by wabigoon
In 1963 I was on my way by rail to basic training at Fort Leonard Wood. What an undesirable hole that was then.

Any others have the misfortune of serving at the fort?

My son-in-law just finished basic there.
I don’t think he enjoyed it any more than you did.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

280 members (2ndwind, 308xray, 30Gibbs, 257_X_50, 1_deuce, 34 invisible), 2,190 guests, and 1,117 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,862
Posts18,478,596
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.