Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by mathman
Keep this in mind: If you believe full length sizer X does/doesn't work better than full length sizer Y be sure to take into account how that particular specimen of full length die interacts with the lot of brass you're using.

For example, in 308 Winchester I have FL dies from various manufacturers. One of them is a Redding equipped with a carbide expander ball. It works great with thin WW brass, but isn't worth a damn with Lapua.

All of this in spades^^^. Over the years, I have found various combinations of brands and types of dies to be "the best" for various lots/brands of brass.

An example, after years of PFLR sizing different lots of WW brass for a particular 270, and performing two sizings before having to trim, this new lot of WW brass stretches like a sumbee when I keep the shoulder in the same place or bump it back a 'thou. No matter what I tried I couldn't prevent it. So I switched to a Redding body die and LCD and it solved my problem.

It's interesting that some others are having best success with Forster sizing dies. My Redding sizing dies have beat out the Forsters every time I've compared. Sometimes by a very small amount, sometimes by a bunch........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
A Forster FL die I have in 308 Winchester had a way too tight neck section. I got them to hone it out to my spec and now it's super with thicker brass like Lapua, Federal and Lake City.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I use my Hornady FL die in 308 Win in two stages: size w/o expander and then push the necks over the elliptical expander. This produces very straight brass. So, why don't I use it all the time? It reduces the case body diameter and taper from head to shoulder to like new dimensions. Ok then, so why do I use it at all? It trues up new "bag brass" that is sometimes dinged up and out of round, and it's great for making brass from one rifle fit another.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Great info. - plan on starting with a Lee Collet die I've had good luck with them .

To go after low runout the combination I recommend is a Lee collet die, a body die, and a Forster seater. I base this on cost vs. ease of use and likelihood of success.

This...

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Saw this - just something to think about pertaining to runout .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I can't see youtube right now.

What's the quick rundown?

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
I'd appreciate a brief summary too.

O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
A guy is showing how putting a lot of pressure on the handle of a press - when the ram is at the top the linkage pushes the ram sideways creating 10K radial runout .

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Don't slam or manhandle the press. Don't pull the handle like you're playing an old style slot machine.

The bullet seating operation doesn't require much force. Let it gently slide into place, ideally with one finger bottoming out the handle. No need to put any pressure on the handle when it stops. Treat your press like a lady.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by CGPAUL
I anneal every third or forth shot fired. I inside nk. lube with Hornady lube on a twisted pipe stem cleaner. After sizing I check for trim, make sure I have a good inside champfer, then polish the neck opening with 0000 steel wool to rid any burrs. My technique is to then seat the bullet on the case, run up into the die..gently..till I contact the inside of the seating stem...gently tap on the bullet with the press handle to make sure all is in alignment, then finish seating the bullet. This sounds more complicated and time comsuming than it is...but I can feel the bullet being seated smoothly.
Watching some guys seat bullets is like watching a bull in a china shop. MHO....VMMY

Thanks

CGPaul ,

Saw a guy using your bullet seating technique while ago - giving it the ol handle jigglewiggle - he was getting 1K runout max , appeared to work real well .

Posted by Bristoe
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good video, but the title is misleading. It was more about technique than press style. I prefer a press that doesn't cam over, because it is easier to adjust the resizing dies.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by lightman
Crappy brass can cause this too. If you have .009 difference in neck wall thickness, don't expect to have low runout.

This is an interesting thread. But I have a question. I was reading JB's "Gack I" the other evening and he talked about how inconsistencies in neck wall thickness plays havoc with group sizes. Since the Lee collet die uses a different method for neck sizing, does it eliminate this concern? Or, even if using the LCD, do necks still need to be turned for consistency? My guess is that inconsistencies in neck wall thickness also affect neck tension, but that's just a guess on my part. Y'all can tell me if that's the case.

Thanks.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Mike ,

Some people claim they have turned case necks that were way out and got no improvement , others swear by neck turning . The neck expands when the round is fired and the thicker part of the neck presses against the side of the chamber before the thin side so ? . Turning the neck surely couldn't hurt . I'm seeing more and more the reasons to use high-end brass if consistent small groups are something you need for that rifle.
No on the LCD it presses the neck around a mandrel - if brass has thick spot in neck it'll still be thick after running it through a LCD .

Posted by Bristoe
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by ned
Originally Posted by Bwana_1
Sorry to interrupt with a noobie question, but has anyone tried the Hornady version...and does the straightening portion work as desired ?

[Linked Image]

Hornady tool works great for measuring and straightening. Not to sound like a broken record but check everything step by step to find out what's causing the problem rather than fix it at the end. Lee Collet dies and Redding (or any other) competition seater reduced runout the most for me. On the calibers I don't have Collet dies for or when I full size just using the Redding seater worked wonders.

Appears the Hornady Gauge ONLY measures finished cartridges - not good for tracking down brass problems - don't mean to sound like a broken record either . smile

Posted by Bristoe
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
That's what I figured. Thanks for the confirmation.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I noticed with my 450-400 and using a Lyman M-die for expanding, that the M-die seemed to work a heck of a lot smoother than using the expander in the sizing die. I checked to see what happened with the runout between the two, the M-die definitely won that experiment. I picked up a new 7-08 here, just finished setting up new brass for it, used a Sinclair universal expander on the new cases rather than running them into an fls or neck die to round out the case mouths. Once I have them fireformed, I'll run it again with seeing what the difference is between the Forster neck bushing bump die and the regular RCBS neck die with and without the expanders, and using the Sinclair expanders on it. I'l run them all in a Rockchucker with and without an o-ring, and in a Coax. Be interesting to see how much, if any, difference it all makes. I'll use motor mica lube on all them as well.
The Sinclair expanders only needed mica lube about every 5th case, but, they were new, clean cases. Usually on dirty cases they only need to be lubed about every third case with the expander ball, we'll see how the Sinclair expanders work out with those. I didn't know to look there at the time, but, K&M has a kit of expanders from .002 to .0035 for 70.00, which works out to a better price I believe, and more versatility than a bushing die. Tough call to make unless you go thru all the experiments to see what works, or if it is even worth it.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (1badf350, 1234, 10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 21, 1minute, 57 invisible), 2,422 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,432
Posts18,489,353
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.