Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's a humbler....

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
But these it did: believe it or not, this is a factory 140-grain Core-Lokt.

No telling what a rifle is gonna like I guess.

I have one 30-'06 that shoots similar to yours there with $14 a box Privi-Partizan 150's, last time at the range it shot a 1.5 inch group of 3 at 183 yds. But it won't do twice that with some fancy loads.

Good luck getting it figured out.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
I think troubleshooting from a single group is a waste of time.
I recommend shooting a series of groups so a pattern can be evaluated.
After spending up to 30 weeks a year evaluating rifles, I learned what not to trust.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
I think troubleshooting from a single group is a waste of time.

I'd recommend to just go hunting with it. I would consider the first target as excellent if shot off hand with irons the second is better than the majority of rifles were capable of in Whelen's time.

I do what Aussie GW said and I will place new targets over the first one to get a composite group of 20 or more shots. If a pattern evolves only then do I start changing things. Once while sighting in a rifle I got discouraged because the bullet holes weren't even touching, how could I adjust the scope properly? I was grumbling and chanting MoFo until I pulled the target and saw it was a half inch group. Called it done and I don't think I have touched that scope since or needed to.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Parson, IIRC, your shot opportunities tend to be at ranges best measured in feet, not yards or meters. Go with the bullet you trust, or what's cheap, or whatever else tickles your fancy. Dead piggies tell no tales.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Two opinions, they called a cease fire at the rifle range and the gun was put in a rack and then back onto the bag. Or, could be that a 10 shot group would be the same size and have more holes filling in the space.

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by StrayDog
Two opinions, they called a cease fire at the rifle range and the gun was put in a rack and then back onto the bag. Or, could be that a 10 shot group would be the same size and have more holes filling in the space.

It's a private range on a hunting lease, so it isn't the one, but it certainly might be the other. I shot that last group (factory Core-Lokts) with a different rest/bag set-up, so might need to go back to the earlier loads and give them another go-round...with more shots/groups/etc. as many have suggested.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Check it all could be ay one of those causes....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mike Venturino addresses this in a two page article "The Truth About Groups" in the new January issue of Rifle magazine.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

516 members (260Remguy, 260madman, 1OntarioJim, 1minute, 257 roberts, 1badf350, 62 invisible), 2,410 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,424
Posts18,489,150
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.