Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
It's funny that the only radio I can get any kind of signal in my shop which is a metal building is an oldish small boom box. Now that thing is broke and the volume is stuck on the highest setting. I've tried several stereo AM/FM receivers but they won't pull in any AM station and very few FM stations. It's getting harder to find any old stereo receivers anymore that would pull in any signal. I guess I'm going to have to run a coax outside and put up an antenna. I need to find a signal booster for my cell phone because it is useless in there as well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You're handicapping yourself trying to receive in a steel building unless the radio is in a window facing the right direction. The GE Super Radio is very sensitive on AM, good sound, but the FM is monaural. GE discontinued them so you may find a good deal on a closeout.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
About 1958 or so, Channelmaster radio. I'd lay in bed late at night, using opposing fingernails on the tuner seeing what I could pick up in central Il. KTHS, WLAC, plus the occasional burst from Waxahatchee, Mexico, and occasionally out east. Four carbon zinc batteries. Many mornings I'd wake up with stiff shoulders and dead batteries.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Got a GE transistor radio for my birthday when I was about 10 (1962)

I used to take it to bed with me, and listen quietly after "lights out"

Nowdays the Wife and I listen to news talk radio on a transistor radio, out on our front porch 'most everyday.

(Gotta keep and eye on my bird feeder!)

Virgil B.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I vividly remember wanting a crystal radio back in the late 50s or perhaps 1960. It was shaped like a rocket (as were many things back then) and needed no batteries. Just clip it to a ground and an antenna. Instead, that Christmas, I got a 4-transistor Japanese radio. I was both elated and disappointed, because I really wanted that little crystal rocket.

Flash forward many decades, and a box arrived with the few things my asswipe brother decided I could have from my late Mom's belongings. In the box was that radio, still in its zippered blue leather outer cover. The battery had naturally died and leaked years before. Still, I cleaned everything up, snapped in a new 9v and held my breath as I turned it on. It emitted a second or two of crackling sounds, then died altogether. After gazing at it in nostalgic contemplation for a bit, I tossed it in the trash.

Today, that darn crystal rocket would probably be worth more. And would still work.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I vividly remember wanting a crystal radio back in the late 50s or perhaps 1960. It was shaped like a rocket (as were many things back then) and needed no batteries. Just clip it to a ground and an antenna. Instead, that Christmas, I got a 4-transistor Japanese radio. I was both elated and disappointed, because I really wanted that little crystal rocket.

Flash forward many decades, and a box arrived with the few things my asswipe brother decided I could have from my late Mom's belongings. In the box was that radio, still in its zippered blue leather outer cover. The battery had naturally died and leaked years before. Still, I cleaned everything up, snapped in a new 9v and held my breath as I turned it on. It emitted a second or two of crackling sounds, then died altogether. After gazing at it in nostalgic contemplation for a bit, I tossed it in the trash.

Today, that darn crystal rocket would probably be worth more. And would still work.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-HE...5?hash=item1a6621f603:g:ZtkAAOSwZddb8hVA

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Dayummm! That's it!

And at $30 it IS worth more than a 4-transistor job. I remembered one more thing about the 4-trans, and a correction to my post above. It was marked "Made in USA" and all of us wisacre kids joked that there was probably a town called Usa in Japan, where everything was actually made. Today, it would be Usa, China.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Had a couple of teachers who would let us listen to the Mercury flights in the room.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My kids got me the midland emergency radio for Xmas last year. Has solar charger and hand crank for its rechargeable battery. AM FM and NOAA radio. I like listening to high school football games on it.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I loved the transistor radios. Back when I was a kid the World Series was played in daytime.
I wanted to listen to the game but I was in 5th grade. Mrs. Cofield would not have approved.

I got my transistor radio stuck in my belt inside my shirt. Had on a long sleeve button down shirt.
Ran the cord for the earplug down the sleeve and had it in the palm of my hand. Had my book open to the math lesson, but I was leaned over with my ear resting on my palm, listening to the game!
I heard Bill Mazeroski hit the famous home run to win the Series over the Yankees, right there in Mrs. Cofield's class! Even today, one of the greatest moments in baseball history.

Good God if she had caught me it would have been straight to the Principal's office and I would never have seen that radio again.
After class all the boys were asking me what happened in the game, they heard me give a little shout when Mazeroski hit the ball. All the boys knew what I was up to but of course no girls did, they would have ratted me out. Bunch of Teacher's Pets.

No, the 45 year old Battle Axe teacher doesn't get up early enough in the morning, to keep up with an 11 year old yard-ape.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I went to sleep at night listening to WSAL (Logansport, IN) on my galina crystal radio. In later days I was a SWL.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I loved the transistor radios. Back when I was a kid the World Series was played in daytime.
I wanted to listen to the game but I was in 5th grade. Mrs. Cofield would not have approved.

I got my transistor radio stuck in my belt inside my shirt. Had on a long sleeve button down shirt.
Ran the cord for the earplug down the sleeve and had it in the palm of my hand. Had my book open to the math lesson, but I was leaned over with my ear resting on my palm, listening to the game!
I heard Bill Mazeroski hit the famous home run to win the Series over the Yankees, right there in Mrs. Cofield's class! Even today, one of the greatest moments in baseball history.

Good God if she had caught me it would have been straight to the Principal's office and I would never have seen that radio again.
After class all the boys were asking me what happened in the game, they heard me give a little shout when Mazeroski hit the ball. All the boys knew what I was up to but of course no girls did, they would have ratted me out. Bunch of Teacher's Pets.

No, the 45 year old Battle Axe teacher doesn't get up early enough in the morning, to keep up with an 11 year old yard-ape.

You musta been that special breed o' yard ape. I never got away with [bleep] until high school when I figured out that you flaunt the rules, do what you want, and deny nothing. At least, that's how it worked out for me (and not to my advantage in the long run).

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Grandma always listened to Salt Lake City Utah when she couldn't sleep

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have a friend that still sits on his car port and listens to the Reds games in the summer on a little transistor AM radio. It reminds him of his childhood listening with his Dad and Grandpaw.

Owl Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by saskfox
Grandma always listened to Salt Lake City Utah when she couldn't sleep

KSL 1160 was the powerhouse station. Growing up in the west, I could always get a clear signal from KSL.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Owl Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by reivertom
I have a friend that still sits on his car port and listens to the Reds games in the summer on a little transistor AM radio. It reminds him of his childhood listening with his Dad and Grandpaw.

That's what started this thread. Remembering the times spent with my father and grandfathers listening to college football on Saturday afternoons. Great times.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used to listen to Paul Harvey with my grandma at her kitchen table while she cooked.

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
WOWO with 50K watts of power from Wheeling WV. kept me awake on the road.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Toddly
I used to listen to Paul Harvey with my grandma at her kitchen table while she cooked.

I used to hear Paul Harvey early in the morning riding with my grandaddy to his John Deere dealership in Fabens, Texas (where I was gainfully employed at times). For some reason it seems like it was always ass-freezin cold when I heard Paul Harvey.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Had a couple of teachers who would let us listen to the Mercury flights in the room.

My dad let me take his Zenith Trans Oceanic to school to listen to Alan Shepards flight.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

654 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 204guy, 1badf350, 70 invisible), 2,685 guests, and 1,469 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,608
Posts18,492,399
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.