-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for telling one on yourself for the team. Might keep someone else (me, for instance) from making the same error. I just began using the xbow this season and am two for two, but wasn't really tempted with any questionable shot opportunities. These things are hammers, but frontal shots are tough even with a rifle at times. I took that shot with my ML a couple years ago, and while he dropped like a rock, penetration of the X-Bullet was less than I expected, and it lodged in his spine between his shoulders. I was worried it would churn up his guts, but it never got close.

Even broadside shots can go bad. My son had an arrow bounce out of the shoulder of a buck a couple weeks ago, from a bow set somewhere in the high 60s, I believe.

What fresh Hell is this?
GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
It has been an interesting season. I had no particular plans, but got a couple of last minute chances to hunt.

The first was an opportunity to close a chapter opened in 2004 when a mountain goat hunt in the Chugach ended without a goat. The terrain and the goats won. This time I had a chance to hunt the Coastal Range in BC. Despite 14 more years on the old bones and less than perfect conditioning due to the last minute plans, a great guide made the difference.
Tough terrain. great hunt. I am happy with the experience.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

A chance to hunt MD in ID. A great area with a lot of game. A lot of deer but it took work to find a mature buck. A good chance to use the old classic 270 Win.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Wildcatter264; 11/13/18. Reason: Spelling

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Well done! Congratulations.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Our rifle season begins Saturday. I have a few nice bucks on my cameras so I'm pretty excited. I've noticed a couple bucks that must be from the same gene pool as their brow tines go up and the tips point forward. Pretty cool. Good luck to everyone!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Thanks, John.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Arns9
7mmMato,
How are the deer numbers in NW MO? I hunted Nodaway County last year and was taken aback by how few deer I saw.

They are getting better but no where near what they were 6-7 years ago. Used to be if you had a place with a little cover you would see a lot of deer. Since we had the big blue tongue outbreaks those marginal areas are pretty thin on deer. They have limited the amount of does you can shoot and the population is increasing.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Arns9
7mmMato,
How are the deer numbers in NW MO? I hunted Nodaway County last year and was taken aback by how few deer I saw.

They are getting better but no where near what they were 6-7 years ago. Used to be if you had a place with a little cover you would see a lot of deer. Since we had the big blue tongue outbreaks those marginal areas are pretty thin on deer. They have limited the amount of does you can shoot and the population is increasing.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Missouri update: shot a Missouri-legal buck this morning, but a trophy by no means. Cold weather, halfway through my 3 days to hunt, expensive non-resident tag to fill, and a need to show my boys that the old man’s still got it...

Mathew 22: 37-39

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
W C 264

ALLLLLLright ! So Nice !

Love the pix, thnx for posting.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Tough climbs, relatively long shots, but the experiences of a lifetime. I feel very fortunate to have had this chance.

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dang, Dude, I'd say you did pretty well for yourself!

Sheep get all the glory, but goats are amazing-looking animals, almost like something somebody dreamed up. That buck'll do too. What a great season for you!

What fresh Hell is this?
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I’m very fortunate to have married a woman who tells me that the next 5 years - now that I’m retired - are important for me to do those hunts done that require a signficant level of physicial effort, while I still can. She’s also responsible for me going to Africa.

Agree that Rocky Mountain goats are very underestimated. The hunt was definitely tougher than my Dall sheep hunt in the Talkeetnas. They offfer the challenge of a sheep hunt at a fraction of the cost. A great experience and a phenomenal trophy.

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Sounds to me like you have a ....

TROPHY of a wife ! !

Congrats on both counts.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Opening weekend of rifle season in the delta zone of Mississippi, saw plenty of deer but nothing that I wanted to tag. Hunted some really thick cover Saturday night and busted this 165 pound sow running through the woods right before sundown:

[Linked Image]

145lrx @ 2925fps from my 7mm-08AI punched both lungs, heart and exited through the shoulder. She ran about 40 yards after being shot, I had no difficulty following the blood trail:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Hopefully I'll have an opportunity on a nice buck later this season.

David

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Early evening on Michigan opener the 15th of Nov. Dropped an eight point with my Ruger 77 MK II in .257 Roberts. Very satisified with the terminal performance of the 110 gr Nozler AB. Love my 257 Bob

"Its easier to fool people......Than convince them that they have been fooled." Mark Twain
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Adding meat to the freezer. Took a nice doe opening weekend (11/3/18) and took a doe again this past Sunday (11/18). Brought a friend along and he took a 3 1/2 year old 8 point that was pretty nice and a doe. I've got 5 tags to use so I'm spreading it out a bit to enjoy the season more.

[Linked Image]

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Neither guns nor Liberals have a brain.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Hey Mule Deer,
I was in the breaks last week and the mulie bucks were chasing the does like there was no tomorrow. Saw some descent ones but non I wanted to pack 5 miles back to camp. Did not see any elk though. It was cool at night, about 7 to 15 degrees and during the day warmed up to a sweltering 25. just another great time to be in Montana.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
killed a decent 9 point with a bow in mid oct.
killed a decent 11 point with a rifle last week.
wife killed an awesome 145" 9 point with a rifle 2 days ago.

we did well

FJB
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
BluMtn,

Thanks for the Breaks report! Love that country. Have passed up quite a few bucks there, not just because of the pack but because I want to go look at some more! Breaks country anywhere in the West is just such a fine place to look at mule deer, even if you never pull the trigger.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Killed some more pigs

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

132 members (41rem, 808outdoors, 2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 18 invisible), 1,964 guests, and 983 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,707
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.