Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Hi folks

I just acquired a Savage model 20 in .250 Savage. It has been re-barreled, re-stocked and comes with a side mounted Weaver A4 3/4" scope. I would like to mount a Leupold 1 inch 4X scope on it and was hoping for some suggestions: For example is there a 1 inch side mount avaiable for it?, Could I just drill and tap it for a standard set of bases? Could it be set up as a scout rifle?

thanks for your help

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just saw a model 20 in 250 with a rebarrel and restock sell here, did you get it in Canada from a guy named Doug or is this just a wierd coincidence?

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D

MadDog

No coincidence. that would be the rifle

Dick

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dick,

have you had a chance to shoot it yet?

That rifle looked like someone did a good job of customizing that action!

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ya, I think you'd be better off just putting filler screws into it and having it redrilled for a nice solid set of Leupold bases, that guns gonna be a tack driver anyways. Dougs the salt of the earth and if I'm guessing correctly you probably got a couple used sets of wool socks or long underwear when you recieved the rifle, at least thats what he wraps mine up in when he sends them.

Is this the gun? He's had about 4 1920's in the last 2 years, one I parted out for him.

[Linked Image]

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
IC B2

D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Doug is great people and it was a pleasure to do business with him.

I was thinking of putting on Leupold bases but was concerned that I would have to alter the bolt handle.

I just got it so I have not had the chance to shoot it but it looks like a good shooter, at least it feels that way to me and that is half the battle.

Dick

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't think it will make a difference Dick, the one I parted out for him was D&T'd as well but with a 3 hole mount, I'm not sure what mount was used, you can ask Doug or if Lightfoot see's this it might spark something in his memory.

[Linked Image]

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by mad_dog
I don't think it will make a difference Dick, the one I parted out for him was D&T'd as well but with a 3 hole mount, ...

Uhg. Not many 1920 receivers sans stripper clip slots. Among the last few hundred made. What's done is done.

Originally Posted by DickNobel
I just acquired a Savage model 20 in .250 Savage. ...I was thinking of putting on Leupold bases but was concerned that I would have to alter the bolt handle.

If you have an unmodified bolt, consider trading for one that is already ground, bent, or cut and rewelded. I know someone who would swap a modified bolt for your unmodified.

Your rifle looks to be an early M1920, and will be difficult to mount a "standard" (Redfield JR-style) scope base due to the stripper clip slots. Without going to extremely high rings, you will likely have to modify the bolt handle to clear the scope bell.
The Weaver #1 mounts on the side with up to 4 screws, and has a quick removal system. In most cases, the #1 mounts the scope over the bore, so you still have the handle clearance issue. Some variations of the #1 ring-set move the scope to the left, or carry it higher/lower than standard.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Thanks for the info Randy. I think that I will try the Weaver side mount and if I have to modify the bolt handle I'll think it over and see if your friend wants to swap.

Dick

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Another option, if you're still looking for options, is to modify a Weaver #60A base for a Browning 22 Automatic. This is the base that is designed to attach to the barrel and extends back over the receiver of the the Browning's receiver. I've seen this base modified to work with a Savage 1920, either by mounting it on the barrel or on the front receiver ring.

I have also seen a couple 1920s that used a modified Redfield Junior 1-piece base with a single hole d&t in the very narrow rear receiver bridge to the rear of the clip slot.

The Weaver side-mount that Randy has recommended is the easiest solution for use with a 1" scope. If you could get by with a 7/8" scope, like a Lyman Alaskan, the old pressed steel Weaver "N" mount might work for you.

Jeff

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dick if you haven't looked, take a peek where Randy lives, trying to swap recievers will almost be the same as trying to get two whole guns across the borders, it's the recievers that freaks out customs and registered recievers will have to go through the 6 month waiting and all the paperwork with ATF and CFC would have to be done.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Thanks MD

I took the gun and scope to the range today and they shot just fine with Winchester and Remington factory 100 grain ammo. If necessarry I could modify the scope rings to hold a one inch scope but I would rather hunt with a classic set up. I guess that the replacement barrel is a 1 in 10 inch twist.

Dick

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (16penny, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 17Hunter, 163bc, 1234, 69 invisible), 2,034 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,828
Posts18,496,595
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.