Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Jericho Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
In the past month or so I have seen no less than 12 Winchester M88s in 308 WIN for sale at gun shows and pawn shops. Used to never see them now they seem to be eveywhere, only 308 though, none of the other calibers.
Prices arent bad either, $450-700

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll guess the old gents that owned them are passing away or retiring from hunting; the kids/grandkids don't hunt or already have the latest and greatest rifle. Lot's of Browning Auto-5 shotguns available lately too.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
You could add Model 12s to that list also. If it ain't camo/synthetic the new generation isn't interested.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Yep. In fact, a LGS has 5 Model 71's, shooters/collectors, long/short tang. Years past, a 71 was a rare sighting in our local racks. Older generation is selling. Talked with one old boy, said his worthless offspring don't shoot/hunt or have legal issues prohibiting ownership. He said, to hell with 'em, is selling his iron and spending their inheritance..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What has befuddled me is the two cabelas stores I like to look at. One in billings mt. One in Rodgers Mn.. the vintage lever action inventory, Ia almost non existent . As in very very few 4 sale. But people at gun shows and my own experiences on gunbroker has shown that the market is at best " soft" if not non existent. Perhaps Cabelas offering credit, and some security in purchases is the difference?

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Angus1895
What has befuddled me is the two cabelas stores I like to look at. One in billings mt. One in Rodgers Mn.. the vintage lever action inventory, Ia almost non existent . As in very very few 4 sale. But people at gun shows and my own experiences on gunbroker has shown that the market is at best " soft" if not non existent. Perhaps Cabelas offering credit, and some security in purchases is the difference?

Cabela's only offers 60% of what they claim that they will price it at retail for firearms trades, so a trade to Cabela's is almost always a losing proposition for the trader. A good used firearms deal at Cabela's is a rare event at the LaVista, NE, store. I look over the used firearms at the LaVista Cabela's at least once each week and probably only find 5 or 6 "deals" in the course of a year, some that I buy, some that I try to pass on to other guys, and some that I just can't justify buying despite the deal.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Cattledog
Yep. In fact, a LGS has 5 Model 71's, shooters/collectors, long/short tang. Years past, a 71 was a rare sighting in our local racks. Older generation is selling. Talked with one old boy, said his worthless offspring don't shoot/hunt or have legal issues prohibiting ownership. He said, to hell with 'em, is selling his iron and spending their inheritance..

I am one of the younger accumulators of walnut and steel beauties. It's amazing what is out there at good prices.

This Remington 17 was $395 at an Indiana gun shop in January 2017:

[Linked Image]

A year ago I got no bidders at $1,250 for this pristine Ithaca NID:

[Linked Image]

I doubt I would get $750 for this 1927 99 G

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Bushmaster1313; 10/07/18.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
But what I was trying to say is in years past the cabelas I would visit twice a year had 30 to 40 lever action vintage rifles 2 look at now almost none.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I agree with your assessment Angus. The library closest to me has only a few vintage lever guns now. A year ago they had a decent collection of pre-64 Winchesters, Savage and Marlins. Their web page went from 10+ pages to 4. Dont know if they’re just not buying or people aren’t trading as they used to.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I was told by two Cabelas library managers west coast and mid-west, corporate instructed to exercise greater scrutiny on their used purchases; looks to have reduced inventory. Perhaps something to do with BP merger.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Been putting my 1963 M88 308 WIN to work this season, two does so far.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Odessa
Been putting my 1963 M88 308 WIN to work this season, two does so far.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That's a neat deer rifle !

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Killed my biggest buck with a M/88 .308 and a 180 gr. Hornady RN handload.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

110,000 M88’s left the factory chambered for the 308 Win. That’s 35,000 more than production numbers in any other caliber.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Years ago I had one in 308 that I got tired of slapping me with the factory stock. So I rebarrelled it to 7mm-08. Much improved with 139 gr. pills.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Next generation coming up is the "black gun" generation.

Won't be able to give away a blued steel and wood stocked gun 30 years from now. Won't be anybody left to buy them.

I'm glad I won't live to see it.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
John Wootters use to write about his 308 model 88 in some of his articles. It may have been the first new deer rifle he purchased. He later sold it and used to list the serial number in articles he wrote hoping he could buy it back.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 1911a1
John Wootters use to write about his 308 model 88 in some of his articles. It may have been the first new deer rifle he purchased. He later sold it and used to list the serial number in articles he wrote hoping he could buy it back.

As a young man John was one of my favorite outdoor writers, In fact so much so, that he influenced me to purchase an early 60's Sako Mannlicher in .308 which he wrote about his personal one numerous times. Still have it and it goes with me every fall. A nice little Burris Signature (older one) 2x7 sets atop it. Another of my favorite shotguns is a Remington 11-48 28 gauge. Bought that years ago as a young man because I used to read about Jack O'Connor and his 11-48 28 gauge. Miss those days.

"By the time you realize your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My book collection includes several by John Wooters and many by Jack O'Conner - I still like reading their style of hunting literature. Jack O'Conner influenced me greatly; when I got married in 1977 I was finishing college and my wife was already working and had a good job - she offered to buy me my first center-fire hunting rifle. I followed a paragraph from O'Conner's The Rifle Book, 3rd Edition (which I had read to pieces) and picked out a Ruger M77 in 270 WIN along with a Weaver Steelite II 3X scope. I still own and hunt with that rifle but the scope has long since been replaced. Without the influence of other hunters writing on the internet those writers held great sway over the hunters of their day.

Archibald Rutledge

J
Jericho Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
In one of JOCs books he mentions the Winchester 88 and said it looked like a Savage Model 99 that had been scared by a Winchester Model 70.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

319 members (1lesfox, 160user, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 24 invisible), 1,927 guests, and 1,106 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,391
Posts18,469,842
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.