Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by shrapnel
You ain't seen nothing like this kid... who is covered in over play.

+ 1

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Originally Posted by MoranoGrande

Some nice guitar work in that one. I don't think that dude's the best guitarist in the world by any stretch, but he's a pro and he knows how to sound good!

The best, no......I've seen him live a couple of times , and he makes an electric acoustic guitar make the widest variety of sounds that I've ever seen.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Some great lists on here, boys, and I do appreciate the vids. Lots to think about.

But it seems to me that some are nominating the best guitar players who can also sing, which isn't the same thing as saying the musician(s) who are at or near the top as guitarists and as singers. And yet others are nominating the ones who weren't necessarily the most adept technically, but whose art influenced others inordinately.

No question, in that latter category you'd have to put Eric Clapton and Jimmy Hendrix. Neither one was a truly gifted singer, but both have/had pleasing voices and vocal styles that have stood the test of time. But both were truly gifted guitarists; maybe not as adept as some of the amazing masters like John Jorgensen or Tommy Emmanuel, but they were/are technically outstanding. Most important, their styles were so unique when they burst onto the music scene in the 1960s that they influenced others tremendously, and changed the direction of music. The whole concept of the rock n roll guitar hero was founded by Clapton and Hendrix in London in 1968 or so: from "Clapton is God" slogans on the Underground walls, to Hendrix's rocket-ride ascent after his impromptu appearance with Cream, the role of lead guitarist was defined for a generation or more, and everyone who has come along since has followed in their footsteps. You can't listen to a guitar solo any more without hearing the pentatonic echoes of Hendrix and Clapton in it. So my vote is for Hendrix and Clapton on that score.

As for best guitar player who can truly sing as well as he plays, there aren't many. I can count them on one hand with 2 fingers missing. Vince Gill is one, and the only one living. The other two are Glen Campbell and Prince. Of the 3, Glen Campbell was and is probably the top. His live and impromptu playing and singing can be accessed pretty easily now on YouTube... do so, and you'll be blown away. His early work with The Wrecking Crew in L.A. is something most music fans have no clue about. His dexterity on the fretboard was as good as anyone I've ever seen, and I do include John Jorgensen and Roy Clark and Tommy Emmanuel in that assessment. Heady company.

But there are others who nobody has ever heard of, who never got that big break, or who took a wrong turn, or whatever. I've known some amazing guitarist-singers over the past 45 years who could have been contenders for rock-n-roll hall of fame if things had gone a little differently.

Last edited by DocRocket; 11/21/18.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
Chris Duarte is another player-singer that is very good.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Damn, Doc, I thought Richard Thompson would have rated an honorable mention from you.😀

Really should be a separate category for acoustic, but Doc Watson would be the consensus winner if only pickers could vote.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Glen Campbell, Carl Perkins; no particular order.

hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
I forgot about Carl Perkins. Heck of a player-singer!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Some great lists on here, boys, and I do appreciate the vids. Lots to think about.

But it seems to me that some are nominating the best guitar players who can also sing, which isn't the same thing as saying the musician(s) who are at or near the top as guitarists and as singers. And yet others are nominating the ones who weren't necessarily the most adept technically, but whose art influenced others inordinately.

No question, in that latter category you'd have to put Eric Clapton and Jimmy Hendrix. Neither one was a truly gifted singer, but both have/had pleasing voices and vocal styles that have stood the test of time. But both were truly gifted guitarists; maybe not as adept as some of the amazing masters like John Jorgensen or Tommy Emmanuel, but they were/are technically outstanding. Most important, their styles were so unique when they burst onto the music scene in the 1960s that they influenced others tremendously, and changed the direction of music. The whole concept of the rock n roll guitar hero was founded by Clapton and Hendrix in London in 1968 or so: from "Clapton is God" slogans on the Underground walls, to Hendrix's rocket-ride ascent after his impromptu appearance with Cream, the role of lead guitarist was defined for a generation or more, and everyone who has come along since has followed in their footsteps. You can't listen to a guitar solo any more without hearing the pentatonic echoes of Hendrix and Clapton in it. So my vote is for Hendrix and Clapton on that score.

As for best guitar player who can truly sing as well as he plays, there aren't many. I can count them on one hand with 2 fingers missing. Vince Gill is one, and the only one living. The other two are Glen Campbell and Prince. Of the 3, Glen Campbell was and is probably the top. His live and impromptu playing and singing can be accessed pretty easily now on YouTube... do so, and you'll be blown away. His early work with The Wrecking Crew in L.A. is something most music fans have no clue about. His dexterity on the fretboard was as good as anyone I've ever seen, and I do include John Jorgensen and Roy Clark and Tommy Emmanuel in that assessment. Heady company.

But there are others who nobody has ever heard of, who never got that big break, or who took a wrong turn, or whatever. I've known some amazing guitarist-singers over the past 45 years who could have been contenders for rock-n-roll hall of fame if things had gone a little differently.

Well reasoned post James, no surprise there. Will have to check GC out in more depth. Still a huge fan of Wichita lineman and everyday house wife. Without the further research you’ve prompted I’d have given the nod to Prince. Kinda jazzed to go see just what GC had up his sleeve. So thanks

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
George Thorogood is a damn good singer-player too

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Brian Setzer

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Vince Gill, hands down

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Jim Stafford can sing, play pretty darn good and was funny too. Sammy Hagar sang and played some of the best rock songs.

Just down the road from The City of Lost Souls in the Land of the Blind.
Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
Sammy can play, I forgot about him. I saw a clip of Sammy, Michael Anthony, and Tommy Lee playing together. Sammy is better known for his singing, but he can play too.

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K

hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
Paul Rogers still looks good. It helped him to marry a fitness guru. Former Miss Canada I think.

Last edited by hanco; 11/21/18.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RVB
Geddy Lee of Rush......bass guitar, but does it better than most,sings, and plays keyboards with his hands and sometimes his feet. Alex Lifeson is no slouch either.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by hanco
Paul Rogers still looks good. I helped him to marry a fitness guru. Former Miss Canada I think.

Smart man. It seems to be working.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Mark Knopfler hands down closely followed by Eric Clapton.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

219 members (204guy, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 280Ackleyrized, 117LBS, 30 invisible), 2,375 guests, and 1,018 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,446
Posts18,528,776
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.