Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
rimfire Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Many years ago I read an article on the most popular rifle ctg. choices in Alaska,the one that stood out to me was the 25-35 Winchester. The author said it was popular for Seal hunting mainly. He stated that every store that carried ammo usually had a good supply of 25-35 ammo. My question is how many still use it.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
seal hunters I knew when I lived there all swore by Sako rifles in .222
Not sure when that cartridge came into play.

R
rimfire Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
The 25-35 predates the .222 by many years as it came out in 1895 with the 30-30. The article I read as probably from the 40s or 50s.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, I meant I was not sure when the .222 came into existence. the seal hunters I knew hunted in the 1950s and beyond.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
link to old thread here

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...-hunting-rifle-and-caliber-used-by-inuit

but this thread deals mostly with Native hunters

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Various cartridges have been widely favored over time in remote parts. Any mild recoiling/reporting centerfire was excellent in the beginning. That was probably one of the things that made the 22 Hornet popular. Of course good hunter and bullet placement helped as well. (Asked a buddy how the 200 Partition loads I gave him worked when he shot a big bull with his 300....."Oh, I shot him at the base of the skull with factory 150s....." The old techniques die hard! laugh )

The 222 was very common and well regarded until cheap (surplus) 223 (and the Mini-14) made inroads.

225 Winchester probably had more popularity per capita than in any other place prior to that.

ARs in 223 are currently well-regarded.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I was flying commercially out of Bethal in 1980 I was waiting at the village store in Emmonik and noticed they had a shelf full of old Peters and WW 25-35 fully jacketed ammo. It was priced at $4/box and I asked how popular it was and was told it was highly popular for seal hunting. And that it worked just fine for polar bears and walrus too.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Ok then,,,,, Well, here is my .25-35, it was my Granddads and then it was mine, that was 1963, I was 13 yrs old, I carried that Rifle everywhere, even to school, it stood in the corner next to the Wood Stove, it was a 1-room School House, there were 5-of us in the 7th & 8th grade.
LJ cool

Attached Images
LJ's Winchester 1894 Win. .25-35 .jpg (57.13 KB, 99 downloads)

-[USMC 1st Mar/Div 7th Engineers, VietNam 69-71, Semper-Fi]-
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
That’s cool.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
As a youth, my wifes father used his .25-35 on most any 'fur' he could , for Wolves, Fox, Otters, etc, up to, and including Polar Bears. He really like the round, but he eventually found others.

Familys from here would take the 11 day mush up to the Beuford Sea to winter trap Arctic Fox, Polarbears, Wolves, etc., and he would camp by a dead whale or Walrus, and flay out a seal, then drag it in a 20 or so mile circle out on the Ocean as a bait trail for the predators to follow.

The trail lead back to his tent, and a couple loose, trained dogs would alert him if anything showed up while he slept. During the day he checked his traps and his trail, and he would place Baleen ''traps'' for the animals to swallow , and then track down the dying animals and dispatch them.

He used dogs to slow and distract the Bears while he place a ''temple shot''. He did this till the 1929 stock market crash made the furs worthless, and he stopped going up the road North.

Most local folks here have always had a variety of guns to choose from for specific hunts, but , for sure, you hunt with what you have.

Last edited by Caribou; 11/24/18.

''Folks that can actually fhuqking shoot,KNOW that everything will work. Folks who don't,contrive reasons why NOTHING does work.''
Big Stick
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Caribou
As a youth, my wifes father used his .25-35 on most any 'fur' he could , for Wolves, Fox, Otters, etc, up to, and including Polar Bears. He really like the round, but he eventually found others.

Familys from here would take the 11 day mush up to the Beuford Sea to winter trap Arctic Fox, Polarbears, Wolves, etc., and he would camp by a dead whale or Walrus, and flay out a seal, then drag it in a 20 or so mile circle out on the Ocean as a bait trail for the predators to follow.

The trail lead back to his tent, and a couple loose, trained dogs would alert him if anything showed up while he slept. During the day he checked his traps and his trail, and he would place Baleen ''traps'' for the animals to swallow , and then track down the dying animals and dispatch them.

He used dogs to slow and distract the Bears while he place a ''temple shot''. He did this till the 1929 stock market crash made the furs worthless, and he stopped going up the road North.

Most local folks here have always had a variety of guns to choose from for specific hunts, but , for sure, you hunt with what you have.

Interesting that the stock market crash killed the price of furs here. My grandfather made a killing during the great depression on a fox farm in Canada. He was a silent partner and fox prices were astronomical. I wonder if it was more about killing the infrastructure rather than fur prices?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
R
rimfire Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
That's a nice looking Winchester. I get lectured about using my 55 in 25-35 Winchester for deer. (usually by someone using a big magnum of some sort with an equally oversized scope) even use a 32-20 now and then.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
''Interesting that the stock market crash killed the price of furs here. My grandfather made a killing during the great depression on a fox farm in Canada. He was a silent partner and fox prices were astronomical. I wonder if it was more about killing the infrastructure rather than fur prices?''

To be clear, the Polar Bear skins were the fur that became ''worthless'' and since Fox and others could be caught much more closer to home, thats where he stayed. Im not sure how that played out, but its what he said he did.

Kotzebue Sound/ChukChi sea was quite the place to hunt Polar Bears back in its day, but competition makes for a fur hunter/trapper to seek such else where, and Joe's family had gone back and forth in his youth, so he knew the ''grounds'' up that way and had an established line.

Joes first cousin, Art Fields guided the Hunter Who shot the worlds record Polar Bear out of Kotzebue, back in 1964.

I have one of Joe's old Winchesters, let me look for a picture ....

Last edited by Caribou; 11/24/18.

''Folks that can actually fhuqking shoot,KNOW that everything will work. Folks who don't,contrive reasons why NOTHING does work.''
Big Stick
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Caribou
''Interesting that the stock market crash killed the price of furs here. My grandfather made a killing during the great depression on a fox farm in Canada. He was a silent partner and fox prices were astronomical. I wonder if it was more about killing the infrastructure rather than fur prices?''

To be clear, the Polar Bear skins were the fur that became ''worthless'' and since Fox and others could be caught much more closer to home, thats where he stayed. Im not sure how that played out, but its what he said he did.

Kotzebue Sound/ChukChi sea was quite the place to hunt Polar Bears back in its day, but competition makes for a fur hunter/trapper to seek such else where, and Joe's family had gone back and forth in his youth, so he knew the ''grounds'' up that way and had an established line.

Joes first cousin, Art Fields guided the Hunter Who shot the worlds record Polar Bear out of Kotzebue, back in 1964.

I have one of Joe's old Winchesters, let me look for a picture ....

Thanks for the clarification, sort of what I guessed happened. Those were some tough people!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Here in SE Alaska my dad used a 220 swift for seal. There used to be a $3.00 bounty on seal around here when I was a kid. You would be shoooting out to over 300 yards at a target that is only abouty 4x5 inches when they raise there head out of water. My dads personal best was 300 seal in oneweekend. He hunted with a partner to help with the skinning. For the bounty you only had to scalp the seal.I still have the model model 70 220 swift and one other onee from a well known seal hunter it is a heavy barrel model 70 in 220 swift also.There still is too many seal around here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I remember reading Wayne SHort's books about SE, they all used the Swift then for bounty rifles I recall.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I do have that rifle that was in that book. Cliff Kilkenny was a friend of my dad.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Moved to Nome in winter of 58/59. Was there for a year before our family moved to Fairbanks. I cannot remember what the rifles used by the locals were but know my father was always asked to “organize” the problem polar bears since he owned the largest rifle around, his 30.06 Springfield. Believe he took care of 8 or 9 of them...

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I enjoyed his books, they are keepers on my bookshelf.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I have killed everything from gophers to grizzlies with a 25-35. It is the original “fast twist” rifle, nearly 100 years ahead of any 223AI or Creedmoor...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

480 members (007FJ, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 1moredeer, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 43 invisible), 2,151 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,545
Posts18,531,346
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.