Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Caribou
I collect the old whalers accounts and diarys, gold seekers jounals, and most anything published.

My favorite is the Arctic, and further the personal accounts, no matter when, 200 years ago or yesterday. Explores and first contacts, accounts fromthe Franklin Expeditions, etc.

Of those, I love the descriptive first hand accounts of the Revenue Cutters and the scientists they brought along.
The Revenue Service (predates the Coast Guard) and the Navy both sent cartographers up the Kobuk and Noatak Rivers in the summer of 1884 and mapped the places. Kobuk River has mostly Inupiaq names, as they were accompanied by locals who could name them, though the guys who mapped the noatak had no loacls along, nor met any while they went up the river. (At that time of year people were down at the Ocean Hunting/Fishing, or on the mountain/ridges looking for Summer Caribou)

Anyways, these also came with the very first maps made of the areas, which is extra kiss kiss special, to me at least, as collecting maps is also a hobbie, and I have afew really good ones..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The map has the name ''Koowak'' spelled phonically, which was first named by the Dane Otto von Kotzebue, and its Germanic pronunciation, so its a ''long V'' rather than a ''W'' Koo-vuck'', later englishized to Kobuk..........

A friend has original maps from the Spurr Expedition written of in "In Search of the Kuskokwim." He is very proud of them!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

M
M
When I was in third grade in Fairbanks in '54-'55 Evelyn Bergland Shore visited our classroom and spoke to our class as her son George was one of my classmates. She autographed my book. Amazing story.

Last edited by MikeN; 11/25/18.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We built a cabin up the Salmon Fork over thirty- five years go very near to where Evelyn grew up and wrote about and always wondered about her. Then around 1993 saw the headlines in the July 19 Fairbanks Daily News-Miner that she was 76 years old and living in Sacramento. We made arrangements to visit and when we called when we reached town she invited us over, had a cake and coffee arranged and treated us like family. She was only about 4 1/2 feet tall but an absolute bundle of energy and a bright and lively conversationalist.
Our son and daughter were 12 and 10 at the time and wrote a letter and sent photos to the Feb 1994 Alaska trapper magazine.
She autographed copies of her updated book for each of us and also gave us a special gift of another book of trapping poems she had written.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
10,000 campfires by Jay Massey. It is an incredible book and one that is rare and expensive. Massey had a real knack with words and writing.

Many others were mentioned. I have some that are great. I really like the fleshed out style of Duncan Gilchrist and the Trophy Rams of the Brooks Range. It isnt as flowery as some but it reads very well.

Russell Annabelle's storytelling in any of his books is very good. Hunting and Fishing in Alaska is a superb book. I recommend it highly!

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hell when is Someone going to publish a book on Joe Want.. I buy that thing right now..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
IC B2

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by Ray
Originally Posted by ironbender
I should have added the road houses between fbx and valdez.

I'm thinking of Glaser.

Frank Glaser by any chance? Wasn't he the fellow who owned the Black Rapids Roadhouse in the early 1,900s? If that's the guy, there is a book about him titled, "The Alaska Wolf Man." Great read about an Alaskan who was tougher than nails.

Thank you Captain Obvious...

Gees turkey give you indigestion and make you super grumpy?

Last edited by 79S; 11/25/18.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by Ray
Originally Posted by ironbender
I should have added the road houses between fbx and valdez.

I'm thinking of Glaser.

Frank Glaser by any chance? Wasn't he the fellow who owned the Black Rapids Roadhouse in the early 1,900s? If that's the guy, there is a book about him titled, "The Alaska Wolf Man." Great read about an Alaskan who was tougher than nails.

Thank you Captain Obvious...

Gees turkey give you indigestion and make you super grumpy?

No, cheerful as can be...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 79S
Hell when is Someone going to publish a book on Joe Want.. I buy that thing right now..

You just need to come over some evening when Joe and I are having a few beers 😁

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 458Win
Originally Posted by 79S

You just need to come over some evening when Joe and I are having a few beers 😁

Man that would be something else..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kaboku68
10,000 campfires by Jay Massey. It is an incredible book and one that is rare and expensive. Massey had a real knack with words and writing.

Many others were mentioned. I have some that are great. I really like the fleshed out style of Duncan Gilchrist and the Trophy Rams of the Brooks Range. It isnt as flowery as some but it reads very well.

Russell Annabelle's storytelling in any of his books is very good. Hunting and Fishing in Alaska is a superb book. I recommend it highly!

I think I've read just about everything Russell Anabell ever wrote. Very good stuff.

Last edited by JamesJr; 11/25/18.
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Ron Hayes is working on a book....saw him in Candle this summer, driving a 185....was pretty pumped up about getting it finished.

''Folks that can actually fhuqking shoot,KNOW that everything will work. Folks who don't,contrive reasons why NOTHING does work.''
Big Stick
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dang, glad to read this thread, now I have several more books I want to get ahold of.

What about Butch King, did he ever do any writing?

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Caribou
I collect the old whalers accounts and diarys, gold seekers jounals, and most anything published.

My favorite is the Arctic, and further the personal accounts, no matter when, 200 years ago or yesterday. Explores and first contacts, accounts fromthe Franklin Expeditions, etc.

Of those, I love the descriptive first hand accounts of the Revenue Cutters and the scientists they brought along.
The Revenue Service (predates the Coast Guard) and the Navy both sent cartographers up the Kobuk and Noatak Rivers in the summer of 1884 and mapped the places. Kobuk River has mostly Inupiaq names, as they were accompanied by locals who could name them, though the guys who mapped the noatak had no loacls along, nor met any while they went up the river. (At that time of year people were down at the Ocean Hunting/Fishing, or on the mountain/ridges looking for Summer Caribou)

Anyways, these also came with the very first maps made of the areas, which is extra kiss kiss special, to me at least, as collecting maps is also a hobbie, and I have afew really good ones..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The map has the name ''Koowak'' spelled phonically, which was first named by the Dane Otto von Kotzebue, and its Germanic pronunciation, so its a ''long V'' rather than a ''W'' Koo-vuck'', later englishized to Kobuk..........

You would enjoy the Charlie Brower book then. I believe he ran the company whaling station in Barrow.

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by kid0917
Dang, glad to read this thread, now I have several more books I want to get ahold of.

What about Butch King, did he ever do any writing?

I just thought I had read them all. As you state, I have more to read now, Thanks fellers.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I used to spend hours in the book store a block from UAF, I found some good ones there over the years.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Back when Title Wave was in a little tiny shop, no coffee shop or knitted hats they knew me by name and had a few books ready from my want list almost every time.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Back when Title Wave was in a little tiny shop, no coffee shop or knitted hats they knew me by name and had a few books ready from my want list almost every time.

Did you make them kiss your ring? And they handed you a sack of protection money..

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I enjoyed reading “Two in the Far North” by Margaret Murrie (sp?). The Murie brothers were early naturalists that did a lot of studies in Alaska and Margaret married Olaus Murie. Frank Glaser worked on caribou and reindeer studies with the Muries. She left Seattle on a steamship in the 1920 time frame bound for Alaska and her description of her early years.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The book Slim Moore Alaska Master Guide: A Sourdough’s Hunting Adventures and Wisdom is pretty good

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Andrew Berg lived on Tustumena Lake. He eventually built a few cabins around it to have places to stay during trapping season. He guided hunts, hunted, fished, and was kind of a game warden. The book was great in that it was a daily journal of everything he did from household chores, baking bread, and the trials and tribulations of a remote life style.
He told of a couple heart attacks and just lying in the bush until it past. He was a tough SOB.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (16penny, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 57 invisible), 2,418 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,522
Posts18,472,608
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.