Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
28lx Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

For those that have used RL26 in the 300 WSM what have your impressions been? I have pretty much stuck with IMR 4831 for my 300 WSM's its given me great accuracy and pretty good velocity. Speer has data on their website for 165 and 180's with RL26 and its giving good velocity numbers.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Some people say its temp sensitive I have used it but I havent tested its temp sensitive. Here in Montana during hunting season we dont get big swings and I try to do load development in my hunting rifles close to those temps and it probably wont be any different than the 4831 your using now.
The new RL powders produce good velocity and accuracy.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

RL-26 is temp sensitive?

And what snowflake would name their kid "Some people"......?

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
28lx Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by sherm_61
Some people say its temp sensitive I have used it but I havent tested its temp sensitive. Here in Montana during hunting season we dont get big swings and I try to do load development in my hunting rifles close to those temps and it probably wont be any different than the 4831 your using now.

Originally Posted by alpinecrick

RL-26 is temp sensitive?

Have either of you used it in the 300 WSM?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I've worked up R-26 loads in 243 and 270 in warm temps that showed no discernible POI shift at least 60 degrees colder out past 400 yds. From the mid-70's down to the low teens or high singlr digits for morning shots on deer and elk. In both, heavy-for-caliber bullets were used, and accurate charges were at the top end of pressure. Not sure if that matters. I don't think it is a miracle powder, but I am liking it in the bottlenecked cartridges I hunt with in MT. Shots are often long in the country where I hunt.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Nosler 200 AB
RL 26 71.0
2,950 mv average

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

Worked pretty well in 270 WSM with 140gr Accubonds.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by 28lx

RL-26 is temp sensitive?

Of course not--Alliant has no pressure data for 300 WSM. When I spoke to CS at Alliant he told me RL-26 is a powder for fairly specific applications. The cartridges--and the bullet weights--they chose were within the optimum energy and burn rate they thought RL-26 was best suited for. Powders aren't just about burn rates, there is also differing energy that accompanies the burn rate.

If a guy wants to take the time to look at the list of cartridges Alliant did chose to pressure test, only a few of them show significant increases in velocity over other powders. The 270 with 150 grain bullets appears to be the big winner. Maybe as time goes on and the bullet manufacturers jump onboard there will be more data for other cartridges that does indeed show better velocity.

Rifle loonys being somewhat loony.....of course everybody saw Muledeer's post on the 270 and 150gr bullets, and figured their fav cartridge should see the same kind of wonderous increase in velocities. When there is no pressure data it becomes easy to rationalize any velocity that doesn't blow the primer plumb out of the case. We can be assured a lot of velocities being posted on the internet using RL-26 in cartridges with no pressure tested data will ultimately be demonstrated to be hot--very hot.

It wasn't that long ago that the same thing was happening with RL-22. And take a new powder like RL-26 with a new cartridge like the 6.5 CM and the sky is the limit here in Loonydom.......

Of course my post ain't gonna change any minds, so my question to you is; What is going to be your starting load of RL-26?...... grin

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 28lx

RL-26 is temp sensitive?

Of course not--Alliant has no pressure data for 300 WSM. When I spoke to CS at Alliant he told me RL-26 is a powder for fairly specific applications. The cartridges--and the bullet weights--they chose were within the optimum energy and burn rate they thought RL-26 was best suited for. Powders aren't just about burn rates, there is also differing energy that accompanies the burn rate.

If a guy wants to take the time to look at the list of cartridges Alliant did chose to pressure test, only a few of them show significant increases in velocity over other powders. The 270 with 150 grain bullets appears to be the big winner. Maybe as time goes on and the bullet manufacturers jump onboard there will be more data for other cartridges that does indeed show better velocity.

Rifle loonys being somewhat loony.....of course everybody saw Muledeer's post on the 270 and 150gr bullets, and figured their fav cartridge should see the same kind of wonderous increase in velocities. When there is no pressure data it becomes easy to rationalize any velocity that doesn't blow the primer plumb out of the case. We can be assured a lot of velocities being posted on the internet using RL-26 in cartridges with no pressure tested data will ultimately be demonstrated to be hot--very hot.

It wasn't that long ago that the same thing was happening with RL-22. And take a new powder like RL-26 with a new cartridge like the 6.5 CM and the sky is the limit here in Loonydom.......

Of course my post ain't gonna change any minds, so my question to you is; What is going to be your starting load of RL-26?...... grin

Did you read what the op wrote? He said Speer has rl26 data for 300 wsm for 165's and 180's. He is wanting to know who here has tried it in 300 wsm. I tried it in 4 other cartridges but not the 300 wsm. So far I been impressed..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by 79S
Did you read what the op wrote? He said Speer has rl26 data for 300 wsm for 165's and 180's. He is wanting to know who here has tried it in 300 wsm. I tried it in 4 other cartridges but not the 300 wsm. So far I been impressed..

I missed that, and my apologies to the OP.

It wasn't that long ago I looked on the Speer site for load data and didn't see any RL-26. But I wan't looking for 300 WSM data.

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
That
Originally Posted by 79S

I missed that, and my apologies to the OP.

It wasn't that long ago I looked on the Speer site for load data and didn't see any RL-26. But I wan't looking for 300 WSM data.

That's what you get for being a smart$$$.
Yes I have used it p.m me and I will give you my data 28lx

28lx Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Appreciate the replies so far that had anything to do with the original question.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

28lx,

Again, my apology to you. I was not aware of the new data from Speer. Glad to see more RL26 data.

I'm about to open my 4th container of RL-26, but it's all been for 243's and 270's.

Is RL-26 available in your area? Although I'm well supplied there doesn't seem to be any available online at the usual websites or any around here locally.

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
28lx Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

28lx,

Again, my apology to you. I was not aware of the new data from Speer. Glad to see more RL26 data.

I'm about to open my 4th container of RL-26, but it's all been for 243's and 270's.

Is RL-26 available in your area? Although I'm well supplied there doesn't seem to be any available online at the usual websites or any around here locally.

Available powders are limited in my area mostly the common Hodgdon and IMR powders on the shelf. I have 5 pounds of RL26 left I believe my last order was from Midsouth I also use it in the 243 as well as 280 and 6.5 Creedmoor. Speer has new data for several cartridges with RL26

28lx Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SU35
Nosler 200 AB
RL 26 71.0
2,950 mv average

That's moving a 200 along pretty good.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Kimber Montana 300 WSM.
Started testing loads with RL26 last summer for a Wyoming Elk hunt.
Tried Hornady 178 and 200 ELDX
Settled on Barnes 175 LRX at 3050.

Shot this load in the fall for backup deer( needed to draw blood with the Creedmoor and PRC.) No change in accuracy.
Have a couple good for me loads with 26 for both of those guns as well.

I have a very good load for 150 TTSX with Varget and may try some 26 with those just cause.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 007FJ, 160user, 62 invisible), 2,762 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,200
Posts18,503,675
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.