Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
That fella has some mass on him, congrats...

I got it done this morning. Walked in to my spot where 3 little creeks converge, sat for a few, then noticed something behind me in the field. It was 4 doe, then a 5th doe came out. All fed back into the woods except one. She kept looking back then he stepped out. Got down prone and led him slightly as he was walking towards her; 150 partition found the boiler room and he did his death run. [Linked Image]

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Nice bucks guys!

Camp is where you make it.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Nice, no doubt. Congrats to all. I'm not much of a morning person, then I can't let the Dog home all day, will be going out shortly.

Last edited by battue; 11/30/18.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats Tom! Nice buck!

Battue, get yur butt out there, I wanna see horns!! grin

Side note, never got bologna made. Usually just cut it up myself. Im still hurting so took mine up to local butcher. Didnt ask cost, just told the mennonite to cut the horns off for me and weigh it. 158lbs. After butcherin how much bologna can I expect? I got half regular half pepper jack.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Crappy video, but my mom liked seeing videos on facebook so I did one when I got mine. Dont laugh...lol. My old mans already callin me Will Primos laugh Freakin butthead I tell ya...lol. I had to say BBD cause it gets to him when he watches huntin videos grin

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Home from the hill. Saw seven, six were Does for sure. Another came out into an overgrown weed field at 4:45 and disappeared. Thought I saw horns thru the binos at around 200 yards, but he never came out of the thick.

Went looking for these guys and found them. I'll let Yodor do an ID....Again they didn't want to fly. Although these look more like males.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by battue; 11/30/18.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
AND....Wanted to find the owners of that new piece I found. So tried a 7day free trail of this app. Name and address popped up in literally minutes after I downloaded it....

https://www.onxmaps.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4PX_qrD93gIVmIqzCh0RBQrFEAAYASAAEgIJpfD_BwE

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I use OnX as well and fairly handy to find stands, down deer, etc. oh and left my cliff side stand at 3 due to rain and terrible coughing fits and on climb down an 8 pt. was cruising directly below me on cliffs . Decided he’s legal and while I just humped a stand 2k’ over a real nice bedding block full of huge rubs I wasn’t looking a gift horse in the mouth.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
😀 congrats

In addition, I have a piece of my Grandparents old farm. OnX saved me thousands in being able to locate the boundary pins without going thru a survey.

Last edited by battue; 12/01/18.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
20% off with promo code Randy or meateater

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by battue
Home from the hill. Saw seven, six were Does for sure. Another came out into an overgrown weed field at 4:45 and disappeared. Thought I saw horns thru the binos at around 200 yards, but he never came out of the thick.

Went looking for these guys and found them. I'll let Yodor do an ID....Again they didn't want to fly. Although these look more like males.

[Linked Image]

Those are Bobs !!!

Possibly juveniles...…….maybe that's why they didn't fly. Most likely escapees from a dog training deal or someone's propagation pen. Nevertheless...………...WAY COOL to see. Good thing you got some pics. Doubtful they'll last long. Death from above will, most assuredly, do 'em in.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Another....This group was all males, the other females. That field is about a mile from my Uncles old farm and a long time ago in a far away land it had Wild Bobs. Never many, but they were there. Like you I think these are domestic escapes. But wouldn't it be cool....

I had to zoom the phone so they could be seen, or the pics would have been better.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It would be WAY cool !!! Just don't get your hopes up too high.

25-30 years ago, when I was raising and training pointing dogs, I kept a return pen of 20 or so Bobs at all times. One hen sneaked off and raised herself a brood in my fields. The covey started out late spring/early summer at around 6 birds. Even though my property and the surrounding properties were PRIMO upland cover, the covey dwindled ……………...one by one...………..and by the following March, was gone.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
In the early 50's my uncle Coon (everyone called him Coonie never heard him call Conrad) and a friend had a old camp that had to be relocated when the George B Stevenson Dam was being constructed. My wife's uncle Jim was working at the dam project and "borrowed" a company bulldozer and they took a chainsaw to cut the cabin in half then uncle Jim skidded it up the hill side to it's current resting place.

A lot of great stories were told of that adventure but the very best happened as they were reattaching the two sections.

Working on a hillside they setup temporary piers and beams to rest it on, while old Stan was working under it a pier came loose and the cabin collapsed trapping him underneath. All his friends feared the worst, screaming for Stan's brought no response and frantic digging began. After a while they got to Stan just laying there between the floor joists completely unharmed!

When asked why the "heck" he never answered frantic screams he claimly replys "I figured if you didn't know I was ok you would dig faster!!!

After getting over wanting to throw him back under the cabin they were glad he survived 😀

Last edited by old_willys; 12/01/18.

Ted
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
In the 50's and 60's Potter county had a unbelievable amount of deer, while spotlighting hundreds could be spotted in a single large field, it was 55 years ago when at age 9 I took my first trip to the deer camp. Deer were everywhere and the camp was filled to the brim. It was setup to sleep 10 using several home made double bed bunk beds with extra army cots to be used because up to 16 guys would show up to hunt the first day.

As the crew got older less guys came and then the over harvesting of does began and you could hunts days and see only a handful of deer. This season two friends were the only hunters at camp, a far cry from it's heyday!

My brother, myself and two cousins own it now and after 50 plus years it needs plenty of repairs. Hope to retire next year and I can see needing months spent there getting it back into shape. I plan to leave my share to my brothers two boys they enjoy using it and can hopefully them and their kids can keep it going another 50 years.

Last edited by old_willys; 12/01/18.

Ted
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
While editing hit the delete by mistake..

Quail update: The guy who shot the smaller Deer I posted was raising the Quail for his Bird Dog. Mystery solved.

Almost uneventful day in that only saw two Deer. Around noon or so the rain started and thank you God for rain gear.

However, the one Deer was something my Cousin saw from another hillside and on a hill behind a Sheetz. I went and took a look and this is what I found. The ears almost look too big, but they were attached to the real thing. Tried to get a pic when she stood up, but she didn't give me the chance. This is the second time I've been fortunate enough to see one.

[Linked Image]

Another:

[Linked Image]

Had a small Owl fly right past my head and go into a hole in a snag.

Last edited by battue; 12/01/18.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I saw a buck this AM but he was better at hiding behind a tree than I was at trying to see around the tree. He finally walked straight away, only giving me a glimpse or two of antlers and his backside before he dropped over the bank and out of sight.

I did see a flock of 30-40 turkeys in the neighbors field. And a couple of more deer on the drive home.

Dale

This space for rent

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dale K
I saw a buck this AM but he was better at hiding behind a tree than I was at trying to see around the tree. He finally walked straight away, only giving me a glimpse or two of antlers and his backside before he dropped over the bank and out of sight.

I did see a flock of 30-40 turkeys in the neighbors field. And a couple of more deer on the drive home.

Dale

Dale-they do have a knack for doing that, don't they? Sorry you didn't tag out, buddy. Heading out for ML this weekend. Fresh snow on the ground. Hope it helps.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Are the acorns gone up there?

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
hunted all week and saw more bucks than does. only one was legal though and was a little 5 or 6. saw a guy dragging a monster out on the 2nd day. i'm talking big big 8 with tines as thick as my ankles. deer was huge too. gave me hope for the rest of the week but the wind was all over the place and it rained on and off. not the worst of weather but not great. my mountain hunting is done for the year. i'll probably do some pushes for my boys behind the house this weekend.

My diploma is a DD214
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (1minute, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 48 invisible), 2,290 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,035
Posts18,500,691
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.