Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I know hunting shows are not all that popular here, and I seldom watch them. The whooping, high fives, and hard rock music ruin any possible redemptive qualities. Having said that, what’s with all the archery hunting shows? Is bow hunting really that popular compared to rifles?

GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Not in my house.
Never owned a bow.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Condition Yellow
I know hunting shows are not all that popular here, and I seldom watch them. The whooping, high fives, and hard rock music ruin any possible redemptive qualities. Having said that, what’s with all the archery hunting shows? Is bow hunting really that popular compared to rifles?

Yes, when you consider I have bow season for a few months, and gun season for 1-2 weeks (depending upon population)

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I agree with Kellory, Oklahomans have 3 months to archery hunt and only two weeks for rifle. I think most states are similar and if you are filming a hunting show that makes for a lot more archery hunting shows

Wac em and stack em
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Definitely. One of the reasons I stopped archery hunting. I ran into more hunters in archery than rifle season. And I only hunt public land, in PA!

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Most states have a very long archery season. I know Arkansas' reason used to run 01 Oct. 28 Feb. when we lived there. Growing up as a teenager, a friend got me into archery, and thus my dad got back into with me as he saw it as 6 months of hunting versus just three weeks of rifle and 10 days of ML.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The state of Michigan has catered to bow hunters for decades, and it is much more popular than I can understand. It is common to meet hunters that are either bow only, or gun hunt only out of state.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Heck yeah it is. They can used scoped crossbows here and have 6 weeks. Why bother hunting rifle for two weeks in brutal December weather? I don't hunt Archery because I'm more interested in trying out rifles and loads than I am in just killing animals. A sharp stick doesn't do much for me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In many states it's also easier to get an archery license than a rifle license.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Most people think that gun hunting is too easy, so with archery equipment you need to get closer and probably overall a better hunter. A hunting show can pack more drama into archery hunting to fill up a half hour segment. A crossbow is little more than a rifle with a string inside of 50 yards and is looked at with some amount of disdain by the vertical bow crowd.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Our Archery season has turned into Crossbow season.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Windfall
........so with archery equipment you need to get closer and probably overall a better hunter......

WHOA there!!! Thems fightin words!!! If 99% of todays archery hunters didnt have 1. Private land 2. Game cameras 3. Scents/Lures 4. Prime dates(rut) along with all the other tech they use, they couldnt kill a deer let alone find one. I see so many archers on facebook losing deer or requiring dogs to retrieve downed game. So many bad shots.....todays archers for the most part suck at hunting. That said, theyre very effective due to the sheer number of archers, the amount of posted property, the lack of pressure during prime season and abundance of feed.

The majority of deer killed in rifle are shot at ranges well under 100 and more close to archery range than most will admit. We all hear of jerk offs who shouldnt be hunting, both archers and rifleman. But the rifleman I know can rival the best archers in general woodsmanship and knowing their quarry, where long range hunting isnt the norm.

Take your best archer from say Iowa and your average rifleman from the northeast and put them in the mountains, public land, in west virginia for a week and see who comes out on top. Sure as hell wont be the archer.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pahick
........so with archery equipment you need to get closer and probably overall a better hunter......

WHOA there!!! Thems fightin words!!! If 99% of todays archery hunters didnt have 1. Private land 2. Game cameras 3. Scents/Lures 4. Prime dates(rut) along with all the other tech they use, they couldnt kill a deer let alone find one. I see so many archers on facebook losing deer or requiring dogs to retrieve downed game. So many bad shots.....todays archers for the most part suck at hunting. That said, theyre very effective due to the sheer number of archers, the amount of posted property, the lack of pressure during prime season and abundance of feed.

The majority of deer killed in rifle are shot at ranges well under 100 and more close to archery range than most will admit. We all hear of jerk offs who shouldnt be hunting, both archers and rifleman. But the rifleman I know can rival the best archers in general woodsmanship and knowing their quarry, where long range hunting isnt the norm.

Take your best archer from say Iowa and your average rifleman from the northeast and put them in the mountains, public land, in west virginia for a week and see who comes out on top. Sure as hell wont be the archer.

Now them are fighting words. wink I took a 4 point buck at 7 yards, with a bent sapling and a bootlace, and hand carved arrows. I'd like to see YOU duplicate the feat. On public lands, with a swiss army knife. (Just to see how primitive I could go, and still get meat).
Tech is fine, but not necessarily.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kellory

I'd like to see YOU duplicate the feat.

7 yrds?? Pfftt!! Seriously, good on ya! And I could make that shot, IF I could make the equipment, which I dont have that skill. When I archery hunted almost every kill was straight down. Yes, I used a compound and carbon arrows, but simplistic as possible, single pin, etc etc. I hear the phrase "rifle hunt like you bow hunt" and it pisses me off! You either know how to hunt or you dont. Even out west you need to know the game, how they use the land and get as close as possible. There is no other way to hunt.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kellory

I'd like to see YOU duplicate the feat.

7 yrds?? Pfftt!! Seriously, good on ya! And I could make that shot, IF I could make the equipment, which I dont have that skill. When I archery hunted almost every kill was straight down. Yes, I used a compound and carbon arrows, but simplistic as possible, single pin, etc etc. I hear the phrase "rifle hunt like you bow hunt" and it pisses me off! You either know how to hunt or you dont. Even out west you need to know the game, how they use the land and get as close as possible. There is no other way to hunt.

I have no sights on my bows, and one pin on my crossbows. I used a pit blind, and you are right, you need to know the game.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

+1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by moosemike
Our Archery season has turned into Crossbow season.

I expect that to be a universal growth, as a vertical bow does not include the same synergies as a crossbow for the average rifleman looking to increase his hunting opportunities.

I know I have no interest in bow hunting but could be enticed to explore a crossbow.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I like both, bow is very exciting, a doe is a trophy with a bow!

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I like both too.
In Indiana we are a one buck state.
I much prefer to kill out before gun starts as it seems they go into hiding.
With that said I very much do look forward to opening day of gun as it be quite exciting.
Fortunately I have killed out before gun in the past many years.
As far as archer hunters being bad shots same goes for gun too.
I’ve seen both sides.
So far I haven’t lost a deer in archery in quite some time......(knock on wood)

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Shows do archery alot because it puts the animal in closer.

I do both, getting a shot with a bow is harder than getting a shot with a gun. There's lots more movement required to draw a bow.

Both are fun!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 59 invisible), 2,314 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,820
Posts18,477,815
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.