Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
I'm looking at 7mm 160gr GS bullets for my 7x57. How do they perform on deer?

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
GB1

R
RNF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I had good luck with the orginal design both with accuracy and game performance but have heard confliciting stories since the redesign. My experience was with the 160 and 175 grain Grand Slams out of a 7MM Rem Mag on elk and whitetail deer..

Last edited by RNF; 11/28/18.

A gun in the hand is worth more than the entire police force on the phone.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm sure they work fine for deer but many bullets do and at half the cost. I wouldn't pay the price for them these days.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
They should do fine, the 175's have been flawless for me, I'm at the end of 500 of the old style 175gr GS's in my 7x57, will switch over to partitions of the same weight once they're gone.

Trump Won!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
I'm sure they work fine for deer but many bullets do and at half the cost. I wouldn't pay the price for them these days.

^^^^This^^^^

They're now built like an Interlock, so unless you can get them from one of the places that sells pulled bullets - which I use a bunch of - I agree. And I really like Speer bullets.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Thanks for the replies. I wanted a flat base bullet to try.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
You might want to give the 160-grain Hot Cor a try.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Thank you sir.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
You may also want to look at the 154gr. Hornady. Hard to beat that bullet!

Elk Country

"I refuse to waste my common sense on those who have been educated beyond their intelligence"

All you need to know about Democrats is they call American citizens "Deplorables" and illegal immigrants "Dreamers"!
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

Looks like a lot less than a box of NBT's at Midway. Wouldn't call that expensive.

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The 145 and 160 gr. Grand Slam bullets shoot lights out in my Browning 1885 in 7 mag. I made my longest kill shot on a west Texas muley with the 160 gr. pill. One lucky shot at 603 yards and he was down for the count.

I love the Grand slams in my old Browning A-Bolt in .270. It shoots under .5 MOA all day if I do may part.

The lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part!
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I used the 120’s in my 25-06 for a long time. They killed the hell out of deer and pigs. The ones you have should be exceptional killers.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by RevMike
You might want to give the 160-grain Hot Cor a try.

I think that's a good idea. IIRC, Jack O'Connor and his wife used that bullet in their 7x57s with excellent results in Africa. I'd go easy on his load with 4831 though as he was using the old surplus version. Current versions are faster burning so I'm told.

The only cartridge I've shot a 160 gr. Grand Slam in is my .280 Remington. The paper died quite nicely with tight groups as the result. the ones I shot were the older two core version but have not had a chance to try them on game.

Frankly, I think the Grand Slam the old version and the new one just might be a bit too tough for a 7x57.

To quote Jack O'Connor, "Using a 160 gr. Speer bullet in front of 52. grains of No.4831 for a velocity of about 2,260 in a 22 inch barrel my wife has shot elk, black bear, Dall and Stone, sheep, mule deer, and Rocky Mountain goats. Her bag with this combination includes two big bull kudu, roan antelope, several bull sable and about a dozen zebra-mostly with one shot."

I note that he stated the 160 gr. Speer but didn't say they were Grand Slams. In several other of his books, he mentions the load but never mentions the Grand Slam. He did at least part of the time say he was shooting Nosler Partitions in some of his cartridges but again not in the 7x57. Does leave one guessing as to what he really used at times in the 7x57. About the only commercial 139 gr. bullet I can think of is Hornady's and he did like 139 gr. bullets for deer and the like.

I've been getting some interesting results with the 150 gr. Nosler Partition and Rl17 powder. I also have a fair amount of 160 gr. Speers, both Hot Core and Grand Slams so I just might try and duplicate Jack's old pet load.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by PJGunner
I also have a fair amount of 160 gr. Speers, both Hot Core and Grand Slams so I just might try and duplicate Jack's old pet load.
Paul B.

Paul:

If you do, please report back. I'm curious to know how that works out.

And not be argumentative, but just to try to ferret out what JOC actually used, he writes in "The 7x57: Cartridge with Nine Lives" (from Hunting on three Continents with Jack O'Connor): "The load I have settled on for my own two 7x57 rifles, the restocked and remodeled Model 70 Winchester and the Ruger M/77, is the 140-grain Nosler bullet in front of 45 grains of No. 4320. Velocity in the 22-inch barrel is 2825 fps." Like you I presume he's talking about the Partition. I can't remember having read about him using the 160-grain bullet, although he does state in "Forty Years with the Little 7mm" that his wife used that bullet almost exclusively over 52 grains of 4831 (as you noted) at about 2660 fps. Every other time he mentions a bullet used in his own rifles he talks about either the 140-grain Nosler or some other bullet in the 139-145 grain range. As a matter of fact, near the end of the same article he writes, "I have shot around 35–40 head of game ranging in size from Thompson gazelles (30 pounds) to greater kudu (600 pounds) and mountain zebra (700 pounds) with 140–145 grain bullets. No complaint." Again, this is just an assumption on my part, but the 145-grain bullet is most likely a Speer, either the Hot-Cor or Grand Slam. But he doesn't say.

In any event, within reason, I don't think the OP will go wrong with anything he's planning to use.

RM

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I recently tried some 145gn Grandslams in two of my 7mm rifles. The first was a 7x57 Ruger Number 1 that usually shoots around 1 1/4 inches but the Grandslams shot about 4 inch groups. So I tried them in my rebarreled 7x64 that shoots 0.35 - 0.5 inch groups and they sprayed out to about 5 inches for three shots. These bullets would be about 25 years old so maybe the newer ones shoot better. So not really impressed with these ones especially in the 7x64 that is a very accurate rifle with several other bullets.

I also had poor accuracy with Speer's 6.5mm 140gn Hotcor in my 6.5x55. This rifle shoots three shots into an inch or under with about 10 different bullets but the Speers opened up to 2.5 - 3 inches. So maybe Speer have a few quality control issues with their manufacturing processes. I have some 6.5mm 140gn Grandslams that I will try soon and see how they go accuracy wise.

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Thanks for the input from all. I got to the range today and Remington 140gr factory loads shot very well. I have plenty of 140gr Corlokts & 139gr Hornady 7mm bullets. I thought the long throat would need a longer bullet. I'll put the money in brass. wink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by magshooter1

Looks like a lot less than a box of NBT's at Midway. Wouldn't call that expensive.

They must have really dropped the price as they used to be about the same as Partitions. Good for them given they took all the premium features out of the Grand Slam.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Elvis. The original Grand Slams were a two core bullet with hard lead in the base and soft up front. Lots of comments about them after they came out regarding accuracy. Some rifles shot them well and others? Well to be kind the bullet came out of the barrel and hit somewhere on the paper. I got into the ones I have at a gun show where a fellow was getting out of the shooting game due to age and health problems. He had a stash of bullets you wouldn't believe. Ten dollars a box. I cleaned his table.

On the Hot Cores, I've had good results with the 165 gr. 30 caliber in a .308 that will absolutely shoot nothing else. Long sad story. Keeping it simple I got into Ruger M77 RSI in .308 really cheap because the previous owner could not make it shoot. Factory or handload, nothing worked. Well after a two year struggle I got it to be a consistant 1.5 MOA rifle and a bit more tinkering got it down to 1.25 MOA. The same load groups into .80" average from a Winchester M70.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
RevMike, IIRC, on that hunt where his wife took all those animals, Jack also used his wife's rifle for the smaller plains game and used his bigger boomer for the large stuff. All this from my slowly fading memory banks.
Paul B.

MOLON LABE
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
You could be right. My memory isn't what it was either. But I know that he liked Speer and Nosler bullets - whatever design they might have been.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (007FJ, 02bfishn, 160user, 10gaugeman, 16gage, 1234, 56 invisible), 2,501 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,431
Posts18,470,796
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.