Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ruger77Shooter
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Originally Posted by Ruger77Shooter
This is a secret only for those who are willing to wait for that big one to come out. I know this secret to be an absolute FACT! If you want to kill a big buck, you MUST hunt where they are at!

"You gotta be where the deer are at." That's kind of a running joke in my house.

Just trying to be Captain Obvious, dripping with sarcasm!

Yogi Berra was a genius. laugh

Politics is War by Other Means
GB1

S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Sherwood
If you want to stop deer along a well travelled route so you can make a good shot, drag a small tree across their trail. They will stop and stare at it before going around.

Want to make deer cross a fence where you want them to cross? Tie the top strand to the middle strand of barbed wire and then drag a small tree to block access to their former crossing spot.

Want to have a permanent deer blind for cheap? Buy a junk car from a salvage yard and have it towed to your spot in the woods. Stuff old clothes with newspapers to form dummies and place them in the front seat. Opening day you simply toss the dummies into the rear seat and hunt with the windows open. Deer can't tell the difference between the dummies and live hunters. No kidding, this works!

My Dad (1922-2004) taught me these tricks.

Sherwood

love it!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I was 13, or so, I asked my grandpa the best spot to kill a buck. He replied in that dry Appalachian humor, "Where one is standing."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by sse
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I won't tell all of them but some I will tell.

There's many more, but that's all I'm giving up. Already said too much.

WTH

LOL!

Redacted. For security reasons.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
mums the word

IC B2

S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
did not get a deer, when a group of does came in, was in the wrong blind for a decent shot

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Pee out the window of your deer stand. It attracts lots of does.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Ole_270
Best secret I know of is to live in the middle of some great deer habitat. Get to watch them year 'round and get to know the habits.

Got to agree w/ this. Nevada has plenty of Mule Deer from Las Vegas to Jackpot and I can spot and stalk year round w/ my rangefinder which is fun and educational. Drawing tags is the secret. [hint: low success areas in the eastern 1/2 of the state] [hint #2 glassing carefully in sage and blackbrush at 5-7 k' ASL.]

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
i pee all over the place, doesn't help a bit

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
SSE.... try this... take an apple and rub it hard all over the bottom of your boots until it kind of comes apart all over your boots... then as you walk to your stand... cut small slivers of apple as you walk in... and circle out in front of you stand... and slice up a few apples out there where you want to shoot. You might have to do this a few times to create a good apple spot. Make sure when you walk back out of your stand, that you re-apply the apple to your boots and re-trace your trail to the stand.... but make sure you DON'T TOUCH BRUSH on your trail. The more you do that, the more you will create a stronger and stronger trail for them to follow. You can also rub apples all over the sides of trees at the shooting location. They will lick those trees. Spraying apple juice or cider all over that area helps A LOT.

Forgive My Sins Jesus, Save My Soul
IC B3

S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by DanBrothers
SSE.... try this... take an apple and rub it hard all over the bottom of your boots until it kind of comes apart all over your boots... then as you walk to your stand... cut small slivers of apple as you walk in... and circle out in front of you stand... and slice up a few apples out there where you want to shoot. You might have to do this a few times to create a good apple spot. Make sure when you walk back out of your stand, that you re-apply the apple to your boots and re-trace your trail to the stand.... but make sure you DON'T TOUCH BRUSH on your trail. The more you do that, the more you will create a stronger and stronger trail for them to follow. You can also rub apples all over the sides of trees at the shooting location. They will lick those trees. Spraying apple juice or cider all over that area helps A LOT.

Yes!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Some teenage redneck kid told me one time, "Blackberry wine! My granddaddy told me if you drink blackberry wine it'll bring'em in."

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
Some teenage redneck kid told me one time, "Blackberry wine! My granddaddy told me if you drink blackberry wine it'll bring'em in."

not gonna fall for that, i need proof

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I don't have feeders, so I used to throw corn. The problem was that by the next morning, all of the corn was gone. I wasn't there enough to get them in the habit of going there. So I started using these Corn-A-Plenty deer blocks from Southern States. Early in the season, a block might last a month or so. After all of the leaves are gone, it'll last 3 to 4 weeks. If there is snow cover, a block might only last a week.

https://www.southernstates.com/cata...-corn-a-plenty-wildlife-block-25-lb.aspx

Ronald Reagan
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Cordless SawzAll for cutting bone.

Ronald Reagan
S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
Cordless SawzAll for cutting bone.

that's not a deer hunting secret, it's not even a secret

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Deer have a bit of a sweet tooth. Peanut butter, molasses, apples, honey suckle, oranges, (as well as acorns of course) all work at drawing in deer. I'm trying something different, that should be legal where bait is not allowed, as well as here.
I started a test on deeranddeerhunting.com just before they were drowned in spam. A scent test with candy flavor oils and natural scents like vanilla and licorice. With game cameras and bright eye tree markers for visual deer counts. It had some serious interest, but I didn't have any cameras to run the tests. (Still don't).
Hopefully, I can find some after season sales, and get enough trail cams to run this test.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by hanco
Buy some good sweet feed, scatter it out like you do corn. Deer really like it. You can also mix strawberry soda in a bucket of corn, deer love it too.

Learn not to rely on bait but on hunting deer where they normally travel/bed. You'll be much happier most years. And yes, we have a feeder or two close by also, but when the corn piles up, we still see deer all day long due to the corridor, while others that are strictly baiting them, see nothing much if at all.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Run your feeders year round so they become like a dinner bell for the deer...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sherwood
If you want to stop deer along a well travelled route so you can make a good shot, drag a small tree across their trail. They will stop and stare at it before going around.

Want to make deer cross a fence where you want them to cross? Tie the top strand to the middle strand of barbed wire and then drag a small tree to block access to their former crossing spot.

Want to have a permanent deer blind for cheap? Buy a junk car from a salvage yard and have it towed to your spot in the woods. Stuff old clothes with newspapers to form dummies and place them in the front seat. Opening day you simply toss the dummies into the rear seat and hunt with the windows open. Deer can't tell the difference between the dummies and live hunters. No kidding, this works!

My Dad (1922-2004) taught me these tricks.

Sherwood

LOL

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

121 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 308ld, Anaconda, 35, 11 invisible), 1,501 guests, and 860 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,749
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.